Reload this Page >

2 Weeks Before Reccie Trip to Oakville

2 Weeks Before Reccie Trip to Oakville

Old May 12th 2009, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 Weeks Before Reccie Trip to Oakville

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Perhaps s/he meant Land Transfer Tax (2% I think).
2% on $400000 and over

The tax is calculated on the value of the consideration for the transfer. In certain circumstances the Land Transfer Tax Act (Act) deems the value of the consideration to be the fair market value of the land.

On transfers of residential real property in Ontario, Land Transfer Tax (LTT) is calculated on the purchase price (less a GST calculation, if the property purchased is a newly built home). The land transfer tax is payable by the purchaser on the purchase price upon registration of a Transfer/Deed of Land in the Ontario Land Registry Office on closing based on the following upward sliding scale:

0.5% on the first $55,000 of the purchase price, plus

1.0% on the amount exceeding $ 55,000 up to and including $250,000, plus

1.5% on the amount exceeding $250,000 up to and including $400,000, plus

2.0% on the amount over $400,000.
Old May 12th 2009, 6:08 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollface View Post
I have my heart set on OAkville too - where in Burlington did you buy and is there anywhere there I should avoid??

Ta
Our house is in Monmouth Drive which is at Brant and Upper Middle - see I speak the lingo already lol

I wouldnt know about good and bad area's I just hope we picked a good one, the feed back we have had from people that have lived there for over 2o years has been positive.
Old May 12th 2009, 12:07 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian View Post
Our house is in Monmouth Drive which is at Brant and Upper Middle - see I speak the lingo already lol

I wouldnt know about good and bad area's I just hope we picked a good one, the feed back we have had from people that have lived there for over 2o years has been positive.
Wow, our realtor is taking us to see a home on that street tomorrow!!!!!!! we could be neighbours!
Old May 12th 2009, 12:11 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning!
We moved from a condo in Toronto to a rather nice house in Oakville (Upper Middle and Third Line area - Think it's classed as Glen Abbey, not too sure though) in December. I'm British and my Fiance is Canadian and we both agree that the location is very nice indeed.

My better half works in downtown Toronto and she takes the GO Train from Bronte to Union Station and depending on the train she catches it's either 30 - 45 minutes, which isn't bad at all. I've used it a few times when going downtown and it's certainly not as crowded as the BR trains going from the south east into London. It's far more pleasant than having to suffer/survive the QEW and Gardiner if you want to drive into TO in the morning.

In regards to comparison prices for property to the UK, we purchased a three bedroom place, which I'd say you'd classify as a terrace (middle of a block of six houses) or row house. It's freehold, so no condo fees (more about that later). It is a three bedroom place, not sure on square footage, but it's a decent size. Single car garage, a small back garden, but with a large deck, and a fully finished basement. Price was about $350,000, which at current exchange rates is about £197,000.

If you wanted to live a comparable distance from, say London, in the UK and have a similar house, I think you'd probably be looking at the same price in pounds that we paid in dollars!

I would suggest having a look at the mls.ca website, it's a property search website, and it'll give you an idea of what's in the area.

As with any house purchase, there are little extras that you need to pay. Property Tax (think it's the same as council tax) needs paying, but can be done on a b-monthly basis, or a lump sum, and you can also get it taken out of your mortgage payment, which is handy too. There is also land transfer tax, and as has been mentioned there will be more to pay if your house is over $400k. There is also currently a scheme to reimburse first time buyers up to $2000 of the Land Transfer tax, Fairly sure it's $1000 per person, so we got the maximum amount as both of us were first time buyers, as you will be in Canada.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:15 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not aware of any bad areas of Oakville. People who live there regard Kerr Street as the rough bit. It's about as rough as Tunbridge Wells on a Sunday morning.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:32 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir View Post
I'm not aware of any bad areas of Oakville. People who live there regard Kerr Street as the rough bit. It's about as rough as Tunbridge Wells on a Sunday morning.
Have you ever been in Tunbridge Wells on a sunday morning? Just kidding as I'm an ex-TW resident and there are some places, as with anywhere, that can be a tad fraught, regardless of the day.

I've not lived in Oakville long enough to know about any rough areas, I think we're in a pretty good one, but only time will tell.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:47 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sharkus View Post
Have you ever been in Tunbridge Wells on a sunday morning? Just kidding as I'm an ex-TW resident and there are some places, as with anywhere, that can be a tad fraught, regardless of the day.

I've not lived in Oakville long enough to know about any rough areas, I think we're in a pretty good one, but only time will tell.
I'll admit that I haven't lived in Oakville since 2004 but back then it seemed very safe. I was in the 6th Line/Upper Middle area, close to where Oakvillian now lives.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by dollface View Post
Wow, our realtor is taking us to see a home on that street tomorrow!!!!!!! we could be neighbours!
No way!!

Let me know how you get on.
Old May 12th 2009, 2:20 pm

No way!!

Let me know how you get on.
I just looked on MLS its quiet close to us. It looks very nice.
Old May 18th 2009, 4:23 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked on MLS its quiet close to us. It looks very nice.
She didn't actually take us there, no idea why, crammed so much in. I'll be back again next weekend, didn't really find too much this trip. The realtor is "Oakville" biased I think! She did take us to Alton Village, I didn't like it there.