Reload this Page >

2 Weeks Before Reccie Trip to Oakville

2 Weeks Before Reccie Trip to Oakville

Old May 2nd 2009, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

RyanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 Weeks Before Reccie Trip to Oakville

Hi,

We're heading over in a couple of weeks for a whirlwind "look-around" in Oakville. The goal is to get an idea of properties on offer, prices compared to the UK, and lifestyle in Oakville. We want to start a family soon and just don't think that London is going to offer the kind of life we want for our kids. Has anybody moved there? Any advice or comments?

Of course our main concern is employment !! I'll be meeting with a recruitment agency (which are well known in the UK and operate in Canada as well) to get an idea, but from what I've read, finding work is extremely difficult. Stress !
I'm a 29 year old Business/Finance Analyst and wondering how realiable and helpful recruitment agencies are in Canada ? Does it work similarly to the UK ?
If it's all about networking and you don't know a soul, how do you do it ?
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks !!

Ryan
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2 Weeks Before Reccie Trip to Oakville

Originally Posted by RyanB
how realiable and helpful recruitment agencies are in Canada ? Does it work similarly to the UK ?
My experience, so far, after 3 months here, is that recruitment agencies (or 'headhunters', as they are known here) are NOT the same as in the UK. Their business model seems the same (ie: their fee is paid by the employer) but they are certainly not as proactive in lining up interviews, putting one's resume forward, chasing up after interviews, returning queries and being generally helpful...your mileage may vary, naturally.

The networking issue seems all too true and yet for one here on a visitor visa, hoping for an LMO/TWP, it seems particularly fruitless...in part, I believe, due to the requirement to advertise if considering hiring a foreigner on an LMO.

Oakville/Burlington is a lovely place. I have friends who live just off Burloak Road (by the QEW). Nice.
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Moosemug is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I moved here to Oakville two years ago. When we arrived I got a bit fed up of everyone telling me what a great place it is for families. However, they are right. Everything you could need is within easy reach and, in my opinion, it is very safe.

House prices vary enormously depending on where in Oakville you look. You may find them more expensive than England if you look in the pricey areas. Basically, anything south of the QEW is going to be nice. Southeast Oakville is the most expensive area (Old Oakville, Morrison). There is continued expansion in north Oakville where prices are much cheaper so there is something to suit every budget. Southwest Oakville and into Bronte is worth a look. Bronte is considered part of Oakville but it slightly separate and has its own harbour. It is a little cheaper but very nice.

No doubt this won't mean much at the moment but will become clearer on your trip over.

By the way, with regards family life, my husband no longer commutes into London (obviously) but the commute into Toronto is quicker and a fraction of the price. Much better for stress and health levels.

Good luck.
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:13 am
Just Joined

andy beacon will become famous soon enough

Hi Moosemug,

Sorry to hijack this thread, just wondered how long it takes to downtown Toronto for your husband? Is it mega crowded? Can't be worse than London Paddington...lol... with it's fun delays....

Is there a sense of sprawl in the city?

We're in BC, but could move to Toronto due to my job. Our son would start Grade 11 High school - another post about this.
House prices look cheaper where you are, than BC, but I think you still pay 'tax' to buy..

Cheers,

Andy.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:04 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy beacon
Hi Moosemug,

Sorry to hijack this thread, just wondered how long it takes to downtown Toronto for your husband? Is it mega crowded? Can't be worse than London Paddington...lol... with it's fun delays....

Is there a sense of sprawl in the city?

We're in BC, but could move to Toronto due to my job. Our son would start Grade 11 High school - another post about this.
House prices look cheaper where you are, than BC, but I think you still pay 'tax' to buy..

Cheers,

Andy.
I lived at Lakeshore and Winston Churchill in Oakville. It was a seven minute drive to Clarkson Go station and 22 minutes on the 6.37 to Union. Yes, it was crowded but it was an art to know just where to stand on the platform so the doors would be close. I always got a seat. Quick as the commute was I sure don't miss it.

Last edited by Simon Legree; May 3rd 2009 at 4:29 am. Reason: Added a bit.
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:07 am
Just Joined

andy beacon will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I lived at Lakeshore and Winston Churchill in Oakville. It was a seven minute drive to Clarkson Go station and 22 minutes on the 6.37 to Union. Yes, it was crowded but it was an art to know just where to stand on the platform so the doors would be close. I always got a seat. Quick as the commute was I sure don't miss it.
Cheers, Simon. Not bad, as commuting goes, I guess. Always good when the trains actaully work and run approx. on time.
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:16 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy beacon
Cheers, Simon. Not bad, as commuting goes, I guess. Always good when the trains actaully work and run approx. on time.
Actually, they were on time almost all the time. They worked almost all of the time too, regardless of weather.

Last edited by Simon Legree; May 3rd 2009 at 5:20 am.
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:03 am
Just Joined

RyanB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Adrian, Moosemug, thanks so much for the info, that's really useful and very much appreciated. We'll have a hire car so it's great to get an idea of areas.

Really excited, but very nervous. Thakfully we don't have kids to worry about yet, as I'm sure that makes it much more stressful. As long as we can figure out how to find a job, then hopefully it'll all be okay !

Thanks again !!

Ryan
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Andy

You've already been given an idea on the commute from Clarkson and it's pretty much the same from Oakville Go. My husband used to commute into Liverpool Street and it was very grim. Trains here are rarely late and take either 28 minutes into Union or 43 minutes (slow train). Parking at the station is free. He always gets a seat. Quite honestly, it' a completely different ball game from commuting into London.
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Forogt to mention, you do have to pay a property tax when you buy a home.
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:09 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

We got back from our reccie trip last Sunday. I had my heart set on Oakville and ended up buying a house in Burlington. - long story.

Good luck, it will be tiring but well worth it.
Old May 11th 2009, 8:22 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
We got back from our reccie trip last Sunday. I had my heart set on Oakville and ended up buying a house in Burlington. - long story.

Good luck, it will be tiring but well worth it.

I have my heart set on OAkville too - where in Burlington did you buy and is there anywhere there I should avoid??

Ta
Old May 11th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanB
Hi,

Adrian, Moosemug, thanks so much for the info, that's really useful and very much appreciated. We'll have a hire car so it's great to get an idea of areas.

Really excited, but very nervous. Thakfully we don't have kids to worry about yet, as I'm sure that makes it much more stressful. As long as we can figure out how to find a job, then hopefully it'll all be okay !

Thanks again !!

Ryan
Hello Ryan,

I had a friend that lived in Oakville, its true what they all say it is a real lovely place.... he lived in Bronte which is classed as Oakville but is almost a stand alone area of its own, and is cheaper property wise, but still a very nice place...it also has a cracking British pub there - the Coach and four...where a lot of expats tend to frequent - especially on a Thursday night! maybe a start for some networking!

Sorry I cant give you any advice on the job front - if its any consolation thats what Im worrying about too... its seems networking takes time to before it bares fruit, as you have to get to know people first!

I move out to Canada in 3weeks time, I was lucky enough to get a couple of job interviews the last time I visited in September, but unfortunately they didnt result in a job, however luckily Im going to be living with a friend at first, so its going to be a little easier moneywise.

I am a draughtsman in engineering, but due to the lack of Canadian experience, and the current climate, I have accepted that I will have to manage with casual work (bar work, supermarket, coffee shop anything!) just to bring some money in until I find a more suitable better paid job, but all the time I shall be looking.

Im single so I dont have to worry about kids or anyone - just myself! At least with taking casual work I suppose I can start to network! as I will be getting to know and meeting people! Once I find a job I am more suited to, I feel the rest will follow... so I can empathise with you!

All the best

Paul
Old May 11th 2009, 10:57 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moosemug
Forogt to mention, you do have to pay a property tax when you buy a home.

When you buy a house? I don't think so.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

When you buy a house? I don't think so.
Perhaps s/he meant Land Transfer Tax (2% I think).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.