Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 months processing time

Wikiposts

2 months processing time

Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:17 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 months processing time

Deeply disillusioned now.

We've been in Canadavilletonburgh for six weeks and I don't have the following as promised on the telly:

1. A $100,000 pa job
2. A 4.5l V8 F150 shiny red truck
3. Two, not one, two skidoos parked out in my 5 hectare back lot
4. The grandiose view of the Rockies, majestically crowned with snow as my kitchen window view
5. A barbecue large enough to roast several endangered species at once
6. A natty selection of John Deere skip caps

..and finally, the one that's really ripped my knitting:

7. A signed autograph of Wayne Gretsky on my genuine Oilers hockey shirt.

That's it I'm going home now. I'm in a huff.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats part of the problem, I'm sure. They show all these "Life in the Sun" type programmes, and show people getting a visa in 2 weeks, then straight off the plane and working in a trade. Its just not that easy.
There are always posters wandering around the Aus forum with a stunned look on their faces, having just realised that you need a licence to practice your trade, the Trade Recognition you get for the visa isn't enough, and in some cases its back to college, do some courses, and THEN you might be able to start at the bottom and work up.
"Ran your own building firm for 20 years? Sorry mate, we don't care, pick up that hod and carry the bricks, you're starting again."
We get so many threads from people who suddenly realise they can't practice their trade as soon as they land, and even when they can work, they aren't on the level they were before. result is the family run out of money, they all get disillusioned, and the next thing is
"Hi, we've just moved back to Bristol/Bradford/Birmingham and think its wonderful, can't understand why people want to go to Australia, its not all its cracked up to be, we're happy now we're home."
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowqueen
I blame Neighbours and Home and Away....

Don't see many soaps featuring beaver hunters in the Yukon or whatever gracing the screens in the UK...

Snowqueen
Mores the pity
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Deeply disillusioned now.

We've been in Canadavilletonburgh for six weeks and I don't have the following as promised on the telly:

1. A $100,000 pa job
2. A 4.5l V8 F150 shiny red truck
3. Two, not one, two skidoos parked out in my 5 hectare back lot
4. The grandiose view of the Rockies, majestically crowned with snow as my kitchen window view
5. A barbecue large enough to roast several endangered species at once
6. A natty selection of John Deere skip caps

..and finally, the one that's really ripped my knitting:

7. A signed autograph of Wayne Gretsky on my genuine Oilers hockey shirt.

That's it I'm going home now. I'm in a huff.
Love it! So thats the stuff they promise Canadian immigrants is it, wish i'd gone there instead, not having a view of the Rockies sounds better than not having a view of Ulhuru/Ayres Rock and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, both at the same time of course.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 25th 2006 at 3:12 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:52 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Don't see many soaps featuring beaver hunters in the Yukon or whatever gracing the screens in the UK...

Snowqueen
you obviously have'nt seen my channel 5 fly on the wall documentary then?
"The Beaver Hunters of Whitehorse"
Old Sep 25th 2006, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech
One thing I've noticed is the amount of failed moves to Australia. The "Moving Back to the UK" forum is filled with people coming back from there. Obviously there are quite a few unhappy with their move to Canada as well, but there does seem to be a higher percentage of those returning from Oz. What's the reason for that?

Building it up to be something its not usually, pollyanna has explained it really well.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
maybe im wrong but doesnt ur profile say, where one in 4 are immigrant? are u looking to become one to?
No its an ironic little comment made after reading so many I want to move to australia to get away from immigrant threads got a bit pipped off one day, and added it to signature, think it was after one of many thread about 'white' immigration, which I find amusing after all true australians are aboriginals.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
you obviously have'nt seen my channel 5 fly on the wall documentary then?
"The Beaver Hunters of Whitehorse"

I thought that was called North of 60
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
i'm not down on the UK, infact quite opposite. Since living in Australia it has made me realise how much i miss the UK and what a great place it really is.
You're the "type" of migrant I really feel sorry for. It must be an awful feeling. I can't imagine not realising how great Britain is. We moved to Aus because we could easily. Had it not been, we would not have considered leaving. Love both countries but never understood the "I hate my heritage" comments that abound because that's what it comes down to. I don't miss the UK, I was there for 45 years, I am too busy enjoying my new country. I think it comes down to where you initially settle as to whether it works or not.

With regard to Aus or Canada, I cannot imagine ever waiting four years to get a visa - nowhere can be worth that over what you already have. If you are so desperate to get away, I don't think it's the place you hate so much as internal problems which will end up going with you.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:17 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
Probably because we want to go to Canada - anywhere within the EU is possible without a visa so why aren't you directing people to there as well ?

Some of us don't just "want to leave the UK" but actually want "to go to Canada" - there is a big difference between the two
Great comment, ditto!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:57 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Snowqueen
Sunday mornings BBC2. Not a soap but "Yvon of the Yukon" - we have been taking notes and basing all of our research on the lives of the residents of "Upyamukluk"

Seriously, Australia is a beautiful country, Canada is a beautiful country, the UK is a beautiful country. However, the culture in each is quite different (in my limited experience), though there are also some similarities. As a serious immigrant rather than a temp expat worker (no disrespect to those using temp visas as a tool to get in quicker BTW) you should surely be looking for the place in which you can best fit and contribute the most to your new society. Whether this is through work, skills, lifestyle choices, family connections, marriage etc depends on individual circumstances.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:12 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You're the "type" of migrant I really feel sorry for.
To be fair, sometimes you cannot see what's under your own nose. You have to move away from the UK to see its good sides... The grass is always greener.

I don't think disliking the UK is enough of a reason to emmigrate - a move should be for positive reasons not away from negative reasons.

I say this due to my experience in emmigrating from the UK. I'm happy that I did emmigrate, I've learnt a lot from it, but if I'd have had my time again, I would have stayed in the UK and gone to London for at least a couple of years.

Today I'm planning to emmigrate again, but I'm sure the reasons are the right ones and it's a positive emmigration.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
So what you are really saying then is: anywhere but the UK ? If you had been serious about Canada you would have gone there - no excuses.

Based on what you said about holiday entitlement etc it seems that you either didn't research things fully or were going to retire to a hotter climate

When we went for our medicals we were the only family heading to Canada - there were 4 families heading to Australia. 3 of them had never even been there on holiday and 1 of those had theirs chins hit the floor when they were told by the one family that had been there, that the man wouldn't be able to practise him profession until he had a licence which would take a minimum of 18 months - they only had enough savings to last them for 3 weeks !! Their excuse for their ignorance was: the programs on the telly make it look so easy - NUFF SAID :scared:
This is not a very compelling argument. It implies that one cannot change one's mind after having digested new information. I utterly reject the childish notion that you must always stick to your first choice.

Who says we were serious about Canada? Our logic process was simple:

1. Visit family in Canada, decide it might be worth moving there.
2. Look into it and discover a 5 year wait. Not conducive to starting a family.
3. Look for other potential opportunities, and find Australia.
4. Research reveals Australia is objectively superior in terms of employment rights, annual leave, pensions, family grants, etc.
5. Decide to go to Australia based on aforementioned facts.

Everyone should be able to see the logical route we took. The illogical route would have been waiting 5 years for Canada in spite of the research we did, because (as you would have it) it was our first choice. But this is not too clever. Your specific case may have given you a false impression of holiday entitlement, but after research provincial and federal websites, reading the posts on this talkboard and others, and talking to colleagues and family in Canada, it has become abundantly clear that one can expect 10 days annual leave (15 in SK) as the norm, at least in the early part of your employment.

Not sure what your final point is getting at. I presume it's a rather splendid generalisation to the effect that people going to Australia are all moronic British chippies, etc.?? Perhaps this is your point, I can't be sure.

What I can be sure of is that one thing instrumental is our decision was where would be the best place to grow old. This is called looking ahead. Once again our researches led us to believe that Australia would be the better location. This is because we noted that Britain is not subjected to waves of Spaniards coming to retire in Kent every year, and that Canadian Snowbirds have the bizarre habit of spending every winter in Florida, until they are too old to drive of course. (Then it's back to oiling up that old snowblower). This is because old people get cold very easily, and why Canadians got so excited about the Turks & Caicos a while back because suddenly 32 million people had somewhere warm to retire to, or at least might have maybe.

So this was our logic. We think the whole process has been very intelligently thought through. It does not affect you in any way. I am sorry Australia has better working conditions than Canada and that flights to Perth and Sydney are cheaper than flights to St. Johns and Calgary. I am sorry that the Australian Government gives a $7000 grant for a first home and the Canadian Government gives nothing. I am sorry the Australian Government gives $4000 for each child you have and the Canadian Government gives nothing. I am sorry the Australians can process a visa in 8 months and the Canadians take 52 months. I am sorry people's shock absorbers freeze solid in Manitoba and not in Queensland. I am sorry Canadian unemployment is so high when Australia's is at an all-time low. I am sorry 85% of Canada's trade is entirely dependent on the United States not crapping itself and rolling over.

So this is our logic, and we feel we have made the right decision.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
This is not a very compelling argument. It implies that one cannot change one's mind after having digested new information. I utterly reject the childish notion that you must always stick to your first choice.

Who says we were serious about Canada? Our logic process was simple:

1. Visit family in Canada, decide it might be worth moving there.
2. Look into it and discover a 5 year wait. Not conducive to starting a family.
3. Look for other potential opportunities, and find Australia.
4. Research reveals Australia is objectively superior in terms of employment rights, annual leave, pensions, family grants, etc.
5. Decide to go to Australia based on aforementioned facts.

Everyone should be able to see the logical route we took. The illogical route would have been waiting 5 years for Canada in spite of the research we did, because (as you would have it) it was our first choice. But this is not too clever. Your specific case may have given you a false impression of holiday entitlement, but after research provincial and federal websites, reading the posts on this talkboard and others, and talking to colleagues and family in Canada, it has become abundantly clear that one can expect 10 days annual leave (15 in SK) as the norm, at least in the early part of your employment.

Not sure what your final point is getting at. I presume it's a rather splendid generalisation to the effect that people going to Australia are all moronic British chippies, etc.?? Perhaps this is your point, I can't be sure.

What I can be sure of is that one thing instrumental is our decision was where would be the best place to grow old. This is called looking ahead. Once again our researches led us to believe that Australia would be the better location. This is because we noted that Britain is not subjected to waves of Spaniards coming to retire in Kent every year, and that Canadian Snowbirds have the bizarre habit of spending every winter in Florida, until they are too old to drive of course. (Then it's back to oiling up that old snowblower). This is because old people get cold very easily, and why Canadians got so excited about the Turks & Caicos a while back because suddenly 32 million people had somewhere warm to retire to, or at least might have maybe.

So this was our logic. We think the whole process has been very intelligently thought through. It does not affect you in any way. I am sorry Australia has better working conditions than Canada and that flights to Perth and Sydney are cheaper than flights to St. Johns and Calgary. I am sorry that the Australian Government gives a $7000 grant for a first home and the Canadian Government gives nothing. I am sorry the Australian Government gives $4000 for each child you have and the Canadian Government gives nothing. I am sorry the Australians can process a visa in 8 months and the Canadians take 52 months. I am sorry people's shock absorbers freeze solid in Manitoba and not in Queensland. I am sorry Canadian unemployment is so high when Australia's is at an all-time low. I am sorry 85% of Canada's trade is entirely dependent on the United States not crapping itself and rolling over.

So this is our logic, and we feel we have made the right decision.
When did I ever say that you had made the wrong decision ?

It seems to me that what you did was sensible - looked at the options and then made the best decision for you after considering the options - which is exactly what I think everyone should do, ie made a "serious" decision not just one based on what one has heard from others.

I note that you are very sorry about alot of Canadian "issues" - I'm sorry you feel the need to apologise for them. I doubt anyone that has made a "serious" decision to relocate to Canada will be put off by what you have said, although I do accept that those that have adopted the "stick a pin in the globe and see where that gets us" decision may be swayed by what you have said.

Where did I suggest that people should decide on where to go without proper research ??

It also seems to me that, in the main, the biggest obstacle for those considering Canada to "get over" is the potential delay in having their application processed. Again, this is something that someone who was serious about going there would need to take into account. For some, this would be acceptable, for others it wouldn't. Those that are young enough may decide to go to Australia - good luck to them.

I have family in Australia and have been there on a number of occasions. It is a great place, but we decided to go to Canada
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:14 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I can see both of you guys points but Dying did say ' if you were serious...' kind of gave the impression of what Table was getting at in his repost.

Biggest hurdle for us is a lack of a degree not the wait. Australia didn't appeal to us personally for various reasons so that was that.

Again, mostly, I like the UK ( or at least where we live ), it's not like we are trying to escape from a hell hole.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I can see both of you guys points but Dying did say ' if you were serious...' kind of gave the impression of what Table was getting at in his repost.
That was not how I meant for it to be interpreted but I apologise to Tableland unreservedly if I was interpreted that way.

I'm not one for argument just for the sake of argument

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.