Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 examples of now and 35 years ago

2 examples of now and 35 years ago

Old May 26th 2006, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 examples of now and 35 years ago

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
I use to leave my bike on the driveway back in the UK, not for long periods of time just the odd hour or two, and it was always there when I went back to it.

I cleaned it all up ready for shipping. It was wrapped, packed and loaded and I waited a good 10 weeks for it to arrive in Canada. When it arrived I went out for a ride and it got a bit muddy so when I got back to the apartment I left it outside under our window while the mud dried.

Went back to it an hour later and it was gone!!!!

I over estimated what a "nice place" Canada was which was a mistake I won't be making again. My first reaction was disbelief that this could have happened here, it was a bit of a wake up call.

Don't get me wrong I don't regret comming here, but I now have a new bike and I wouldn't even leave it outside with 10 bike locks on or store it in the underground garage!! It is happily living on the balcony.

Incidently if anyone sees a green, black and silver Carerra Gryphon Hybrid bike in the Leaside Toronto area then I would be obliged if you could let me know.

I know this isn't quite within the original topic but it seemed a good place to mention it.

Mark
Did you try the Christie Pits stolen bike market? That's where they're usually offered.
Old May 26th 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Like I said - crime does exist.

Sorry you lost your bike. Not a nice feeling. I am sure if I moved to a bigger city things would be very different. No different to any other large metropolis. I am just waiting for this small size city to join the league of lock your doors, avoid staring at anyone, keep out of the streets at night and be ever watchful.

It will come I am sure.

I just hope it takes a long time. But at the moment we are just happy to be where we are.

But in the UK we actually lived in a very small village which makes what happended even more surprising.
Thanks, it's ok though, obviously I had to get a much better bike than the one stolen in order to get over the trauma!!

It's quite funny really that 35 years in the UK and never a victim of crime, if you discount work related stuff. Then I move to Canada and within 3 months my bike is stolen!!

It's my own fault really should have known better than to leave it. Afterall we moved from a small North Wales town to a large North American City. I should not have been surprised it was stolen.

I'm not too concerned really these things can happen anywhere, luckily for me or I would have to find a new line of work!

Mark
Old May 26th 2006, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Did you try the Christie Pits stolen bike market? That's where they're usually offered.
No I just checked the local bike stores and ebay of course. Where is this Christie Pits place?

Mark
Old May 26th 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a great deal of improvements in working conditions and healthcare, etc., and I don't think people ever stop to think about this.
Probably because they're not things that most people particularly care about: especially if they're healthy and unemployed.

To give an example: in the 70s my father worked in a factory, and my mother stayed home to bring up the kids and only did part-time unskilled work once we'd grown enough that she could go out during the day. Yet as first-time-buyers they were able to buy a four-bed house when they were about 30.

How many people could do the same today? It's difficult enough for a 30 year old in a decent job to afford to have kids at all, let alone do that while working in a low-skilled job and buy a decent house and all with only one of a couple working full-time. Not to mention that high wage inflation in the 70s pretty much wiped out mortgage debts in a few years, and that's not likely to happen to anyone buying today.

How many people do you think consider 'improved working conditions and healthcare' more important than being able to buy a decent house and have kids without taking on an incredible amount of debt, while only one of them has to work?

Certainly there were bad things about the 70s, but in many respects it seems like a utopia compared to today.
Old May 26th 2006, 2:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
No I just checked the local bike stores and ebay of course. Where is this Christie Pits place?

Mark
It's a park, with an impressive swimming pool, on Bloor (at Christie!). On weekend mornings it's full of people selling bicycles.
Old May 26th 2006, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Something else that wouldn't work in the UK..... "Self-serve checkouts". I went to Loblaws last night where i live, the self-serve area wasn't even being watched. Nobody cared. Can you imagine the rampant theft that would occur in the UK. It wouldn't last a week.

Originally Posted by dingbat
You know what I still laugh at - all the "sidewalk sales" - racks full off stuff out on the open unguarded pavements...and the supermarkets with pallets of stuff outside that you just help yourself to. I have a bet on with my eldest that it would have taken the scallies where I used to live in London less than a minute to rip off a whole pallet of bottled pop.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:04 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
Thirty years ago twice as many people died from circulatory diseases, there were no real health and safety regulations in the work place, there was an oil crisis that led to rationing, there was widespread and overt racism, infant mortality was much higher, life expectancy was lower, we had the notorious three day week, 24% inflation in 1975, and much higher unemployment.
Cancer is more prevelant today, Racism has increased not decreased, teenage pregnancy is higher, green space is being eaten up, town centres are decaying, shall I carry on?

By the way inflation is not necessarally an evil, and successive UK govts have removed more and more sections of the workforce from the unemployment so are you sure your using the same baseline when you say unemployment was higher?
Old May 26th 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Something else that wouldn't work in the UK..... "Self-serve checkouts". I went to Loblaws last night where i live, the self-serve area wasn't even being watched. Nobody cared. Can you imagine the rampant theft that would occur in the UK. It wouldn't last a week.
Not true. I used to use them in Sainsburys / Tesco in the UK a couple of years ago - I think they have a mechanism in them that weighs what you put in the bag, and if it doesn't match what you scanned it won't let you continue. They do have them, they are just smart enough to factor in the 'theiving git' factor
Old May 26th 2006, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Not true. I used to use them in Sainsburys / Tesco in the UK a couple of years ago - I think they have a mechanism in them that weighs what you put in the bag, and if it doesn't match what you scanned it won't let you continue. They do have them, they are just smart enough to factor in the 'theiving git' factor
and CCTV will not let you get away with it. But there is a concept of trust is an odd one. You WILL be caught. But the honesty is required.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

They have the same weighing mechanism at Loblaws. Theft from supermarkets is a big issue here as well as in the UK. I know a couple who have supported themselves for years by selling shoplifted meat for half the sticker price.
Old May 26th 2006, 4:06 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yeah and you want to go back!!!!!
It's not going to happen though. Even I have to let reality bite me every now and then.

HWP..yeah the stuff on those racks is pretty awful, I often wonder where the size 2 woman who likes sea-green nylon pants actually lives. Probably with the size 18 one who has no problem wearing red layered ra-ra skirts - bargain at $7 at the moment in Cottonwood Mall...don't all rush people....
Old May 26th 2006, 4:07 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I often wonder where the size 2 woman who likes sea-green nylon pants actually lives. Probably with the size 18 one who has no problem wearing red layered ra-ra skirts - bargain at $7 at the moment in Cottonwood Mall...don't all rush people....
Arent they Mother and Daughter????
Old May 26th 2006, 4:10 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

I walked past Loblaw's last night (or was it early this morning... ex-pat meetup last night!) and was suprised to see $1000's worth of plants, trees and hanging baskets all just sat there on the pavement. And no-one chucking them into the back of a transit van!
Old May 26th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. i am surprised!
The Loblaws / Maxi also have the theiving git function, from what I can see.

It's pleasant to walk into a large supermarket at 8pm on a Thu night and having the entire shop save about 20 other people to yourself. I never experienced that in the UK!

Old May 26th 2006, 9:01 pm
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

When I went to Sydney, I was amazed that they can leave the cafe tables and chairs out in the street at night after they close. In London they'd be swiped in minutes! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.