Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 1/2 - 3 years wait??????

Wikiposts

2 1/2 - 3 years wait??????

Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:51 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 1/2 - 3 years wait??????

Andy and Helen,

Have you any idea what the delay is about? Have you considered sending off for you CAIPS file? Did you "go it alone" or do you have a lawyer/consultant who could find out what's happening for you?

We are coming up for our 1 year from AOR and I cannot countenace a wait like you are having!!!!

Morw
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Canada Bound is on a distinguished road

Sorry guys but we are a straight forward skilled worker application, submitted with 78 points when pass mark was set at 75pts before it was reduced in Sept 03. We did go it alone and have no regrets on that one. We are in touch with others on the other group who have an AOR a day later and they are in the same boat, believe you me it is so frustrating to see others who applied months later and having their med requests coming through, but the feedback from others who applied at the sametime as ourselves are that things are imminent and we should be hearing within the next couple of months!!!!!!
We were thinking we would be over the pond late 04/early 05 but it will be worth the wait, we are fed up of looking at the celebratory bottle of champers that at present remains unopened, but hopefully we must be nearly there. As it goes 'good things come to those who wait'!!!

Helen & Andy
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:26 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

We have just had our interview in London and we applied just before you so I think you will not have too much longer to wait. They started actively dealing with our application in July 2004 so 13 months after AOR, but we are in a different category to you so maybe this makes a difference, I don't know.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Canada Bound is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: 2 1/2 - 3 years wait??????

Congratulations to you on your success in London and for helping us keep the momentum going! We are certain we will not be too long and hope we hear this side of Easter, in the meantime we do the daily routine - go to work,
run around after the kiddies, check the exchange rate, see what is new on mls and check e-status (convinced it will change as I stare at it for long enough)! Good luck to you and let us know when you hear something!

Helen
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Liverpool Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canada Bound
Sorry guys but we are a straight forward skilled worker application, submitted with 78 points when pass mark was set at 75pts before it was reduced in Sept 03. We did go it alone and have no regrets on that one. We are in touch with others on the other group who have an AOR a day later and they are in the same boat, believe you me it is so frustrating to see others who applied months later and having their med requests coming through, but the feedback from others who applied at the sametime as ourselves are that things are imminent and we should be hearing within the next couple of months!!!!!!
We were thinking we would be over the pond late 04/early 05 but it will be worth the wait, we are fed up of looking at the celebratory bottle of champers that at present remains unopened, but hopefully we must be nearly there. As it goes 'good things come to those who wait'!!!

Helen & Andy

I don't know if this helps any, Helen, but I wrote to the CIC just a couple of weeks ago with a few queries, one of which was regarding approximate processing times - they said it is currently 16-20 months. Not sure how accurate that is, but it is a recent figure.

Wishing you all the best ~ Lou
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:40 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Canada Bound
when they are crying out for imigrants.
I had the same misconception ... it's a bit different when you get here

Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karen&Ted
Hi,
Just received our copy of Canada news today. reading through it i was shocked to see CIC London are reporting "skilled woekers can expect a 2 1/2 - 3 year wait if appling anytime now i.e Jan 05"

We have been following the threads here and hope to hear from CIC around Jun 05 (we applied Jun 04). Are we being a little hopeful or are others thinking along the same time line.

I remember reading a post saying people who applied after Sept 04 can expect a 18 - 24 Month wait? But 36 Months WoW!!!!!

Karen
It may be a little hopeful. The problem is that the current pass mark of 67 is apparently too low and there are more applications coming in with 67+ points than there are visas available or resources to process applications.

Unless CIC take stronger action to manage the program, by raising the pass mark (eg to the 72-75 region) if necessary or bringing in other changes to ensure that only those with good settlement prospects get visas, the queues will just keep on growing.

This is based on anedotal evidence so I'm open to correction.

If you are going to be faced with a long wait, make a virtue out of a necessity:
- save up your British pounds (you'll need them when you migrate);
- investigate what you need to do to get employed in Canada and see if you can perhaps do the exams now, if that's what you need to do;
- see things/people in the UK or Europe that you want to see (it will be harder once you migrate)
- going to Canada on a work permit meanwhile is possible if you can find an employer. Realistically you need a high demand occupation, like nursing. And you need to be prepared to accept the downsides of temporary residence and the risk of having to go home if PR is refused.

Jeremy
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

If I recall correctly about 5 months ago I read a report about the CIC intentions. It indicated that 2005 was a year for major overhaul which they hoped would be in place by end 2005/start 2006. I was curious as I hope/hoped that we would be through the system by that time. It would then be 2 years since the pass mark change. So I guess watch for developments at CIC from now on. Already having meetings about it I seem to have read.

As far as wanting immigrants....

Residents and Citizens I doubt call out for immigrants. Probably the Provincial Governments may not be lookig for people if the unemployment level is rising. I guess it is the central government who looks long term as in the UK. With large numbers leaving the UK either temporarlily or for good it is recognised that these places need filling (although with 100,000 jobs lost in manufacturing in one year I wonder sometimes) and it is immigrant labour that will do it.

Many times on the forum it is said Canadian citizens are heading south.

So whether or not you need to act quickly on your application is open to question as no ones knows what 2005 may bring.

In my case I hope its a stamp in my passport.

Good luck
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:03 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL

So whether or not you need to act quickly on your application is open to question as no ones knows what 2005 may bring.
Hi

Does that mean, get your application in as soon as possible while the points are low?

I read (with dread) on a recent thread on the Canadian Immigration Forum that if the points went up it could apply to applications in the process as well.
Surely they must honour the in-process applications? After all, you have used their self assessment tool and applied on that basis.
To move the goal posts during your appication is immoral if nothing else, eg:

The 'career cul de sac' you find yourself in as a result of disclosing to your current employer, "I am emmigrating, please can I have a reference?"
The fees that you dont get back.
The heartache of a failed application through no fault of yours.
The cost of preparing an application, eg: notarizing and pukka photos.

Regards

Darren
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi

Does that mean, get your application in as soon as possible while the points are low?

I read (with dread) on a recent thread on the Canadian Immigration Forum that if the points went up it could apply to applications in the process as well.
Surely they must honour the in-process applications? After all, you have used their self assessment tool and applied on that basis.
To move the goal posts during your appication is immoral if nothing else, eg:

The 'career cul de sac' you find yourself in as a result of disclosing to your current employer, "I am emmigrating, please can I have a reference?"
The fees that you dont get back.
The heartache of a failed application through no fault of yours.
The cost of preparing an application, eg: notarizing and pukka photos.

Regards

Darren
It can apply. See many many threads on the immigration section. There is a wide difference of opinion and the CIC website says it will be applied retrospectively but from a compasionate perspective you would think not. But they don't know you or I or worry about the smaller picture.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Tantallon7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 2 1/2 - 3 years wait??????

and the CIC website says it will be applied retrospectively

I've spoken to three different immigration people over the last year, all independently of one another [ including my own consultants] and they've all told me the same thing: so long as you applied when the points total was set at 67 you have nothing to worry about [ in regards to this, anyway!]

In other words, they can't apply it retrospectively.

Something like this happened a few years back when the points total was changed, and they tried to apply the new change retrospectively and caught a lot of heat for trying it, had to back down if I remember correctly.

Think about it: in light of this, why would CIC do this again to the [record number] of people who have applied since September '03 and whose applications are still in process, unless they're completely stupid?

Last edited by Tantallon7; Feb 6th 2005 at 5:40 am.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tantallon7
and the CIC website says it will be applied retrospectively

I've spoken to three different immigration people over the last year, all independently of one another [ including my own consultants] and they've all told me the same thing: so long as you applied when the points total was set at 67 you have nothing to worry about [ in regards to this, anyway!]

In other words, they can't apply it retrospectively.

Something like this happened a few years back when the points total was changed, and they tried to apply the new change retrospectively and caught a lot of heat for trying it, had to back down if I remember correctly.

Think about it: in light of this, why would CIC do this again to the [record number] of people who have applied since September '03 and whose applications are still in process, unless they're completely stupid?
After a year sorry but been there done that. The CIC website says that it wil be applied retrospectively. I have argued till I am tired of typing but if you read it they have the law on their side. Yes I agree they came unstuck at court trying to deny thousands in the waiting line to have their application applied retrospectively due to the reduction in points. Conversley the same would harm applicants in the waiting line now. I hate it, many hate it but read all the threads on the immigration section of this forum under the word retrospective Canada etc..

No one said it makes sense and I have been through many spleepless nights over this.

And yes our agent has categorically said 67 points will appply at point of AOR. Make of it what you will.

As I said I think the whole system will change later in the year so who knows then. My feelings from what I have read.

Last edited by SANDRAPAUL; Feb 6th 2005 at 6:02 am.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: 2 1/2 - 3 years wait??????

Originally Posted by George-Ang
I think something is amiss there, if you look at previous postings in here......... people who had AOR in Jan 2003 are now receiving either medical requests or interviews, you should get onto them. Unless of course you are a special case. ?
Hi

Just been reading your thread and I'm AOR Jan 04 and currently waiting.
I have also been chatting to people on here with AOR's approx 3 months previous to mine and are getting medical requests around now, so I'm expecting mine in approx April/May 05, around the 15/16 month mark..and after reading COUNTLESS threads an here and chatting to my Canadian Lawyer this seems to be the realistic time scale.
If I here anything I will post it on here ASAP to give other waiting applicants an idea what time lines to expect.
Just TRY to keep your heads high and answer those questions "have you heard anything yet" with a big smile on your face, saying, no but any day now......blah, blah ,blah
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Taffia will become famous soon enough
Question Re: 2 1/2 - 3 years wait??????

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
After a year sorry but been there done that. The CIC website says that it wil be applied retrospectively. I have argued till I am tired of typing but if you read it they have the law on their side. Yes I agree they came unstuck at court trying to deny thousands in the waiting line to have their application applied retrospectively due to the reduction in points. Conversley the same would harm applicants in the waiting line now. I hate it, many hate it but read all the threads on the immigration section of this forum under the word retrospective Canada etc..

No one said it makes sense and I have been through many spleepless nights over this.

And yes our agent has categorically said 67 points will appply at point of AOR. Make of it what you will.

As I said I think the whole system will change later in the year so who knows then. My feelings from what I have read.

When did any #@%$^&% Govt. Agency ever make any sense. I think they have a room somewhere full of mental incompetents, writing out rules for different situations.
Then they pick the worst of these, and make them law..
Johnny :scared:
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Tantallon7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Taffia
When did any #@%$^&% Govt. Agency ever make any sense. I think they have a room somewhere full of mental incompetents, writing out rules for different situations.
Then they pick the worst of these, and make them law..
Johnny :scared:

Johnny

You're so right - thanks for your sense of humour!

Any objective, rational, intelligent examination of this issue leads you to the same conclusion time and again - namely, that the whole system is a mad hatter's tea party, run by retards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.