Reload this Page >

1st 3 month backpackers insurance for newly landed PR

1st 3 month backpackers insurance for newly landed PR

Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

mancouver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1st 3 month backpackers insurance for newly landed PR

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Your wife will not have coverage when she arrives in BC (has she been paying premiums?).

What drew you to Abbotsford?
Thanks Aviator, I don't think she's been paying premiums. She's 21 and was living with her parents before the move so unless she's got some sort of family plan then I'm not really sure. I hadn't thought about this insurance properly so I'm really thankful for forums like this, I'm only 25 so it's a lot to take on board but I feel like I've got everything else figured out (fingers crossed!) I don't know anyone else who's been in the same situation as me so it's great to get advice from you all.

My wife is from Abby and I've been there before for 6 months and thought it was a nice enough place. All her family live there so it seems like a good place to get started. I'm not a city person so didn't wanna live in downtown Vancouver. At the moment we're thinking probably Langley is where we'll move to but Abbotsford is where we're starting out and then we'll see where our adventure takes us! I'm waiting to get my passport back from London, I sent it last Thursday then we can book our flights and we're on our way once the school rush has calmed down and flight prices drop.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:04 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I've heard third hand reports of problems with travel insurance in these circumstances, as because you are landed once you arrive, they will consider you no longer "travelling". Dont know if there is any truth to that, but given the slimy backtracking nature of insurance companies it wouldnt surprise me...
Indeed - however the company I referenced has a specific emigration policy that can cover up to three months after arriving in destination country. Definitely worth comparing against other quotes
http://www.duinsure.com/sites/duinsu...ies_Emigration
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:07 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Indeed - however the company I referenced has a specific emigration policy that can cover up to three months after arriving in destination country. Definitely worth comparing against other quotes
http://www.duinsure.com/sites/duinsu...ies_Emigration
Good to know that base is covered
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

My wife has brought up a good point. How does Canada even know that she's been away for a year?

On one hand I feel like her medicare card may still be valid but on the other hand maybe when she became resident in the UK a year ago, the UK must have made Canada aware of it somehow.

Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancouver
My wife has brought up a good point. How does Canada even know that she's been away for a year?

On one hand I feel like her medicare card may still be valid but on the other hand maybe when she became resident in the UK a year ago, the UK must have made Canada aware of it somehow.

They may not, on the other hand maybe they know from tax records or whatever.

Is it just me that thinks the mere fact that YOU both know should be enough?

I read on a billboard here just the other day, "Character is doing the right thing, even when no one else is looking"
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

"Character is doing the right thing, even when no one else is looking"
We're not trying to swindle anyone out of anything I just wanted to make sure we have the right health cover. I don't think it's a question of our character or doing the 'right' thing.

I don't mind re-applying for it if it needs to be done I would just rather avoid wasting people's time or tax money or whatever if it's not something that needs doing that's all.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

She's been out of the country for a year, so it needs doing. There is no room for confusion.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html
Coverage During the Waiting Period

New residents from other parts of Canada should maintain coverage with their former medical plan during the waiting period. New or returning residents arriving from outside Canada should contact a private insurance company for coverage during this period.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Great link (ex-pat insurance) thank you... I have sent it to my son.

Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife has not paid MSP premiums for more than a year, and has not applied for premium assistance* therefore there is a clear assumption that she was not resident in BC. She will need to undergo the same waiting period as you and will need the appropriate insurance.

*If she has applied for premium assistance in the past MSP will have access to her income tax file.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Your wife has not paid MSP premiums for more than a year, and has not applied for premium assistance* therefore there is a clear assumption that she was not resident in BC. She will need to undergo the same waiting period as you and will need the appropriate insurance.

*If she has applied for premium assistance in the past MSP will have access to her income tax file.
Thanks for the info, I was very confused by the whole process, I've not looked into this kind of thing before.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We're not trying to swindle anyone out of anything I just wanted to make sure we have the right health cover. I don't think it's a question of our character or doing the 'right' thing.

I don't mind re-applying for it if it needs to be done I would just rather avoid wasting people's time or tax money or whatever if it's not something that needs doing that's all.
Under the Medicare Protection Act, enrollment with MSP is mandatory for all eligible residents and their dependents. If she has not been paying premiums and maintaining her MSP account, she would have to explain why, perhaps provide addresses and ultimately either lie or fess up.

All adults over 18 have their own MSP account unless in full time education and living with parents and can be under a family plan. If they are not in full time education each person over 18 is responsible for their own MSP account.

The only waste of tax payers money is someone trying to use the system when they know they are not entitled to it.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You will find all the details here:

Coming to BC: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html

When does Coverage Begin?
New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a waiting period that normally consists of the balance of the month of arrival plus two months. For example, if an eligible person arrives during the month of July, coverage is available October 1. If absences from Canada exceed a total of 30 days during the waiting period, eligibility for coverage may be affected.

You should apply for MSP coverage immediately after arriving in B.C., rather than at the end of the waiting period, to allow time for your application to be processed.

It is possible your wife has not lost her coverage:

Leaving BC: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/leavingbc.html

Temporary Absence from British Columbia

You may be eligible to receive coverage for up to 24 months during a temporary absence from B.C. Approval is limited to once in five years for absences that exceed six months in a calendar year.

Residents who spend part of every year outside B.C. must be physically present in Canada at least six months in a calendar year and continue to maintain their home in B.C. in order to retain coverage. If you are unsure whether you will qualify for coverage during an absence or know your eligibility will end, contact MSP with details.

When you stay outside B.C. longer than the period for which you are entitled to coverage, you will be required to fulfill a waiting period upon return to the province before coverage can be renewed.

Cancelling Your Coverage

If you will no longer be a resident of B.C., you must notify MSP of the date of your departure and your new address; otherwise, premium billing may continue. If possible, use one of MSP's online Address Change Forms. (Note: failure to pay premiums does not constitute notification to cancel your coverage.)

Pharmacare plan: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/pharmacare/pdf/FPC02.pdf

Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

OHIP, Ontario healthcare knows when people have been out for more than 6/12 and does cancel coverage I think they get the information from border control.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 1:13 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

They may not, on the other hand maybe they know from tax records or whatever.

Is it just me that thinks the mere fact that YOU both know should be enough?

I read on a billboard here just the other day, "Character is doing the right thing, even when no one else is looking"
They'll know. You have to pay $550 per year (or something) for the MSP.