Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

1st 3 month backpackers insurance for newly landed PR

1st 3 month backpackers insurance for newly landed PR

Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:48 am
Just Joined

mancouver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st 3 month backpackers insurance for newly landed PR

This is my first post but I've been reading other posts on here for a long time and I finally need to ask something! I'm moving from Manchester to Abbotsford, BC in September and I have a permanent residence spouse visa. (I'm British, my wife is Canadian)

I've read that I won't get health cover for the first 6 weeks while I'm there. Is this correct and is it because I need to wait to receive my PR card? How long does it take to get a PR card?

If I'm not getting health care cover straightaway then I was going to buy 6 months worth of backpackers insurance from UK to cover me while I'm there. The T&C's state that I must be a UK resident for it to cover me. Does my visa mean that I'll be a UK resident and a Canadian resident at the same time so I'll be ok to be covered?

Has anyone had any the same kind of experience and bought insurance before they went and can you recommend any companies please?

Many thanks! Andy =D
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

carolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nice
Default Re: 1st 3 month backpackers insurance for newly landed PR

I have been tempted to do something similar, however I think should the need arise to make a claim then I am sure there is something in the small print that will enable the insurer to wangle out of paying up. In any event you would need to be able to demonstrate residency in the UK and have to deal with the claim from the UK (it was like that when we made a claim against our backpackers insurance).
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Ahh good point, I never thought of having to prove residency in the UK. I can use my parent's address but there's not really anything I could do to prove residency. I think I'll just bubble wrap myself for 6 weeks and save myself £50 and a bunch of hassle (hopefully!)
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:12 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

The other probelm is the repatriation caluse that most insurance policies have.

If you have a serious accident they will repatriate you back to the UK.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mancouver
Ahh good point, I never thought of having to prove residency in the UK. I can use my parent's address but there's not really anything I could do to prove residency. I think I'll just bubble wrap myself for 6 weeks and save myself £50 and a bunch of hassle (hopefully!)
Not quite sure why it would be hassle, you just take out some short term insurance which is simple enough to do. Is your wife in BC already or will you need cover - insurance or bubble wrap - for her too?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

My wife is in England with me now and we're going over together so she won't need cover because she's a Canadian citizen and we've only been here for a year. I didn't mean it's a hassle to take out the insurance, I mean it would probably be a hassle if it came to claiming for anything if I had to prove my English residency.

I'd probably be thinking much differently though if I had a car accident or broke my leg or something in the first 6 weeks.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

My wife is in England with me now and we're going over together so she won't need cover because she's a Canadian citizen and we've only been here for a year. I didn't mean it's a hassle to take out the insurance, I mean it would probably be a hassle if it came to claiming for anything if I had to prove my English residency.

I'd probably be thinking much differently though if I had a car accident or broke my leg or something in the first 6 weeks.
Won't she have lost her eligibility if she has been away for more than 6 months? I think she will have to wait 2 months too.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance companies just love to refuse claims, and medical claims are not the sort you want refused.

Backpacker policies may have clauses regarding repatriation, or even status within the country. I strongly advise you get the wait period insurance specifically designed to cover the 3 month newcomer wait for eligability.

The wait period is there I guess to discourage health tourism of sorts, to ensure medical expenses are only being paid for by the province for people actually resident and paying into the system in that province.

There is a list of providers here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medica...edicare_starts
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:44 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Wait period in BC is three months - make sure you apply immediately when you get there.

For the wait period you have a few options:

1) Buy heath coverage policy - manulife sell this www.manulife.ca as does pacific blue cross http://www.pbchbs.com
2) Get one way travel insurance - this will also cover you baggage etc for the move duninsure sells this
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Wait period in BC is three months - make sure you apply immediately when you get there.

For the wait period you have a few options:

1) Buy heath coverage policy - manulife sell this www.manulife.ca as does pacific blue cross http://www.pbchbs.com
2) Get one way travel insurance - this will also cover you baggage etc for the move duninsure sells this
I've heard third hand reports of problems with travel insurance in these circumstances, as because you are landed once you arrive, they will consider you no longer "travelling". Dont know if there is any truth to that, but given the slimy backtracking nature of insurance companies it wouldnt surprise me...
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Won't she have lost her eligibility if she has been away for more than 6 months? I think she will have to wait 2 months too.
Can anyone confirm if my wife will have lost her medical eligibility please? We've been in the UK since Sept 2009.

Thanks for the responses above, all of that is very helpful. Moderator, you seem to have a perfect answer for the majority of questions on this site, do you make a living from doing something like this because you seem very wise!

If it's going to be 3 months I'll definitely get something sorted asap. I think PR card, health card, health insurance and driver's licence are all things I'll need to get sorted on day one of my arrival. Well, if I can do the insurance before I leave then I will do that.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

Can anyone confirm if my wife will have lost her medical eligibility please? We've been in the UK since Sept 2009.

Thanks for the responses above, all of that is very helpful. Moderator, you seem to have a perfect answer for the majority of questions on this site, do you make a living from doing something like this because you seem very wise!

If it's going to be 3 months I'll definitely get something sorted asap. I think PR card, health card, health insurance and driver's licence are all things I'll need to get sorted on day one of my arrival. Well, if I can do the insurance before I leave then I will do that.
I looked at the BC heath website, which is probably what you should do.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am not quite sure what you mean about losing eligibility. However, if a member of the BC medical services plan stays outside BC for six months or more then they become like new residents when they return. They have the same wait period (two months plus the current month). You will need insurance to cover her as well as yourself.

As others have said above - there are specific insurance products to cover new residents while waiting for MSP to kick in.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife will not have coverage when she arrives in BC (has she been paying premiums?). Coverage has nothing to do with citizenship, but residency. The waiting period is the balance of the month you arrive plus the two successive months. If you arrive at the beginning of a month it would therefore be 12 weeks, end of the month more like 9 weeks.

Travel insurance won't cover you as you are moving to Canada to live and therefore not returning to the UK. You may get away with it, you may not. There are policies for new arrivals available from Pacific Blue Cross. Best to contact them before you arrive as you travel policy would cease the moment you leave the airport. Always read the t & c on a policy to know what you are and are not covered for. You would be on your own for dental costs.

You probably don't need to sort everything out in one day. You cannot work without a SIN, your UK drivers license can be swapped anytime within 90 days (so long as you've had it 2+years), you can register for MSP and Pharmacare online or at the same time you get your SIN. If you are coming to Abby the Service Canada office is on Simon Avenue

What drew you to Abbotsford?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Moderator, you seem to have a perfect answer for the majority of questions on this site, do you make a living from doing something like this because you seem very wise!

LOL, I wish Just been here a while and seen all these questions come up before.

By the way, for the 3 month newcomer insurance you pretty much HAVE to do it before you arrive or it wont be valid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.