Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

19 to young to drive/insure on UK licence?

19 to young to drive/insure on UK licence?

Old May 20th 2011, 3:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 19 to young to drive/insure on UK licence?

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
This is NOT in Ontario where you both live/propose to live.
Although a 16 year old can both learn to drive and pass a test!

http://www.dynamicdrivertraining.com/testing.html

Most kids around here don't even get their learners until they turn 16.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Although a 16 year old can both learn to drive and pass a test!

http://www.dynamicdrivertraining.com/testing.html

Most kids around here don't even get their learners until they turn 16.
Thats what I understood too.

Our 19 year old is living in Ontario at the moment and drives around in his friends Honda Civic and they haven't paid any extra for insurance. He was stopped by the police recently and had to hand over his mates insurance details. Everything was fine and he went on his way.............or at least that's what he told us.
Love the "well thats what he told us"!

So its seems a lot more lax than in the UK overall?
Old May 20th 2011, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate holt
Canadian driving generally
Old May 20th 2011, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kate holt
Thats what I understood too.

Love the "well thats what he told us"!

In a strange way it put our mind at rest. We pestered him for ages to make sure he was insured to drive these cars and he kept insisting he was. The fact that the police pulled him over and were okay with him gave us some comfort.
Old May 20th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

ok ,,, my daughter does her drivers ed at school at 15.5 yrs and can drive with a full licence holder in car,,,,at 16 she can sit her full driving test ,if i remember rightly for so long after passing driving at night /# of passengers in the car is restricted.
She is learning on an automatic ,,and after she has more confidence we will train her up on a manual....(confidence and a a 16yr old is a recipe for disaster). NB>This is for manitoba .:rifle:
Old May 20th 2011, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

So, what I'm taking from this thread is, that it's the car that's insured to a household, rather than the drivers themselves?

And you can just let ANYONE (with a licence) jump in your car and drive it, with your blessing of course?

ummmmm..... mental?
Old May 20th 2011, 9:24 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
So, what I'm taking from this thread is, that it's the car that's insured to a household, rather than the drivers themselves?

And you can just let ANYONE (with a licence) jump in your car and drive it, with your blessing of course?

ummmmm..... mental?
It's no different to a Fully Comp "Any Driver" policy in the UK.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:44 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
And you can reduce risk/premiums by adding minimum experience clauses.
Old May 20th 2011, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Yeah, I'm sure it's not, but how many people in their right minds have a Fully Comp Any Driver policy in the UK?
Old May 20th 2011, 10:49 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Yeah, I'm sure it's not, but how many people in their right minds have a Fully Comp Any Driver policy in the UK?
It's exactly the same as the UK policy. We had it, as did many people we know.

Why would you imagine it be a crazy idea in the UK? Liability and potential incidents may be greater in Canada cos most drivers are a bit shit.
Old May 20th 2011, 10:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you imagine it be a crazy idea in the UK? Liability and potential incidents may be greater in Canada cos most drivers are a bit shit.
I only had fully comp for me + the missus at home. Wasn't gonna pay for anybody to drive it given that nobody else ever did. It came as a nice surprise that the exorbitant cost of insurance in BC did come with this feature at least - handy for lending your car to relatives when they visit.
Old May 20th 2011, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

I don't think it's a crazy idea, quite the opposite, it's a great idea.

What I'm saying is crazy, is the cost!

The average cost for a young driver in the UK to insure a euro crap box is around £2500

Add on the extra cost for "any driver" plus a decent car, you could easily double that figure.

That's a lot of cash to spend to avoid your teens taking a bus.

So, yes, I'm all for it in Canada, if it's not going to break my bank.

What is the norm anyway?
Old May 20th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I was just buying insurance recently and most of them included coverage for other people occasionally driving your car. The key point is occasionally, so if you drive with friends to a resteraunt and have a few beers and your friend drives you home, no problem, or you lend your car to your brother to go grocery shopping or something. That is not the same as a regular driver who uses it frequently. Then you should name them.

However that doesnt always raise the premium if they figure your risk doesnt increase significantly compared to the premium you are already paying. My inlaws added me to their policy as a named occasional driver so that I could get some insurance history in Ontario and their premium did not increase.

It took me a long time, even over 30, to get a reasonable quote when I bought my car last year. I had been living here for 9 years and had a full G licence all that time but never bought a car, just rented etc. because I lived in the city, so I had zero insurance history in Canada. However finally I found one company that accepted my inlaws insurance experience for Ontario, then my last UK no claims etc. to establish an insurance history and reduce my quotes from $5,000 to $2,000. A 19 year old with no Canadian history will get quotes anywhere from $5,000 to over $10,000 etc. not that much different from the UK. You can reduce it a bit with higher deductibles and removing extra coverage like rental cars when your car is being repaired etc.

As far as the UK licence goes you have to exchange that for an Ontario one anyway when you move here within 60 days otherwise you are driving illegally anyway so the insurance won't cover you.

Probably best to get them added as a named driver on your policy and let them get a period of time on that with no incidents then try getting a quote for a policy form the same company that might recognize their own existing coverage/history?
Old May 21st 2011, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

So, please correct me if I have got this wrong!

My 24 year old son is here as a visitor until October, can he drive my vehicle on my insurance and not be added to the policy?

Poppit
Old May 21st 2011, 3:46 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppit
So, please correct me if I have got this wrong!

My 24 year old son is here as a visitor until October, can he drive my vehicle on my insurance and not be added to the policy?

Poppit
Nobody can tell you that without knowing the terms of your policy (minimum experience exclusions for example).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.