Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

19 to young to drive/insure on UK licence?

19 to young to drive/insure on UK licence?

Old May 20th 2011, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future
Default 19 to young to drive/insure on UK licence?

My daughter is spending the summer in Ontario and friends seem very casual about her driving their cars. Do you think she could get insured - I doubt it myself. But wondered if anyone had actual experience of this?

Any info appreciated!
Old May 20th 2011, 2:26 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 19 to young to drive/insure on UK licence?

My Stepson is visiting in a couple of weeks. I checked with insurance, he can drive our cars with our permission, no extra insurance needed. It was the same when our friends came a couple of years ago too.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

Really as simple as that! Oh thats good news then. Thank you!
Old May 20th 2011, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kate holt
My daughter is spending the summer in Ontario and friends seem very casual about her driving their cars. Do you think she could get insured - I doubt it myself. But wondered if anyone had actual experience of this?

Any info appreciated!
She'll be driving on her own UK licence if on holiday here and she will be insured on their insurance if driving their car. Is my take on it.
Have been know to be wrong though but it's a start.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of

Take 2

Just found out what piff poff said. She uses her friends insurance so if she gets a prang they pay hahaha!
Old May 20th 2011, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

She'll be driving on her own UK licence if on holiday here and she will be insured on their insurance if driving their car. Is my take on it.
Yes and I guess they do pay if she has an accident! Must admit doubt I would do the same in reverse - as bad as that sounds...
Old May 20th 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Yes and I guess they do pay if she has an accident! Must admit doubt I would do the same in reverse - as bad as that sounds...
Quite normal here I gather, kids use their parents insurance while they drive in the parents car. Which is scary as some are only 17.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

People see very casual until the kid has an accident.

Then if the kid or their parents do not offer to cover the repair costs, some of them will moan about it. This moaning can go on for quite some time.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kydney_Stone
Quite normal here I gather, kids use their parents insurance while they drive in the parents car. Which is scary as some are only 17.
14/15

Yep you can get your learners at 14, you can pass your test at 16 as long as you have had your learners for 12 months.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
14/15

Yep you can get your learners at 14, you can pass your test at 16 as long as you have had your learners for 12 months.
Lordy lordy lord lord. As my dad used to say.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

People see very casual until the kid has an accident.
That's my feeling about it too!

I've heard about the 14/15 but does any one actually do it? And aren't they restricted to back roads or something - or did I imagine that fact!
Old May 20th 2011, 3:14 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kydney_Stone
Lordy lordy lord lord. As my dad used to say.
That's my feeling about it too!

I've heard about the 14/15 but does any one actually do it? And aren't they restricted to back roads or something - or did I imagine that fact!
This is NOT in Ontario where you both live/propose to live.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if something similar applies where you are but in BC you can get a discount if every driver has 10+ years of experience. If you are claiming something like this your daughter won't be able to use your car.
Old May 20th 2011, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not sure if something similar applies where you are but in BC you can get a discount if every driver has 10+ years of experience. If you are claiming something like this your daughter won't be able to use your car.
Good point!
Old May 20th 2011, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

Our 19 year old is living in Ontario at the moment and drives around in his friends Honda Civic and they haven't paid any extra for insurance. He was stopped by the police recently and had to hand over his mates insurance details. Everything was fine and he went on his way.............or at least that's what he told us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.