Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

19 year old planning a move (Toronto)

19 year old planning a move (Toronto)

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

sochrisash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 19 year old planning a move (Toronto)

So I'm coming to the end of my college course, and will soon be looking for a job. As my Dad is Canadian, I have citizenship. yay. And I've always wanted to go out there. And I have family there, Aunt actually in Toronto, and Grandparents an hour north.

Only worries are, leaving my massive family, and going to my tiny family in Canada. And missing my little sister grow up.

But I'm young and nothing is tying me down, and if it falls apart i can always go home

Anyway

I plan/hope to get into radio, would love to know if there is any Brits in radio. And if it was easy enough to get into.

Also anyone know what the aircooled vw scene is like in Toronto?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 19 year old planning a move (Toronto)

Originally Posted by sochrisash
So I'm coming to the end of my college course, and will soon be looking for a job. As my Dad is Canadian, I have citizenship. yay. And I've always wanted to go out there.
First step is to ensure you have your Canadian citizenship card and Canadian passport.

Also, for reference, read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:52 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Also anyone know what the aircooled vw scene is like in Toronto?
I think dbd33 has one of these...
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I think dbd33 has one of these...
Uh-uh, mine has water, and the motor in the right end.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Uh-uh, mine has water, and the motor in the right end.
Depends on the perspective

Cheers JAJ, all forms filled in now, well that was loaaadss of fun.

So anyone know about the radio industry in Canada?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the perspective

Cheers JAJ, all forms filled in now, well that was loaaadss of fun.

So anyone know about the radio industry in Canada?
I don't know much about the radio industry but a daughter of mine graduated with a relevant degree in Canada, made powerful connections while in school (she worked as the personal chef to a big shot in the CBC), got paid for selling some documentaries to the CBC (see above), won prizes at documentary festivals and took a job as host of a radio show (in French, no work in English).

After a year she gave it up as a bad job and went lawyering. I don't think this bodes well for an immigrant radio person.

Oh, and she won't ride in Volkswagens, calling them "fairy ferrys".
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know much about the radio industry but a daughter of mine graduated with a relevant degree in Canada, made powerful connections while in school (she worked as the personal chef to a big shot in the CBC), got paid for selling some documentaries to the CBC (see above), won prizes at documentary festivals and took a job as host of a radio show (in French, no work in English).

After a year she gave it up as a bad job and went lawyering. I don't think this bodes well for an immigrant radio person.

Oh, and she won't ride in Volkswagens, calling them "fairy ferrys".
Ah cool thanks dude.

Where are you in ON anyway?

Thats not a set back, I'll get a round it somehow :P. I'll stay positive/ pick up the accent a bit more. :P

Beetles and Busses seem cheaper out there aswell, which is better then over here.

Also any kind of mot's out there?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Ah cool thanks dude.

Thats not a set back, I'll get a round it somehow :P. I'll stay positive/ pick up the accent a bit more. :P

Beetles and Busses seem cheaper out there aswell, which is better then over here.

I'm 75 miles NW of the CN Tower but I know a little about Toronto.

There's no MOT, there's a one time check when a vehicle is sold, a "safety" and an air pollution test, "Drive Clean" which is a straight up con, costing $400 each time.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ah cool thanks dude.

Goodness me! Why? That would destroy whatever chance you might have on radio here.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Goodness me! Why? That would destroy whatever chance you might have on radio here.
Yeh I suppose, I guess its an extra edge people competing for a radio job wont have