Reload this Page >

18 Months in Stoney Creek...Slightly homesick

18 Months in Stoney Creek...Slightly homesick

Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Pete_27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 18 Months in Stoney Creek...Slightly homesick

Hi there

I'm 29, I moved to Stoney Creek about 18 months ago to be with my Canadian girlfriend. I'm now a dad as well after our little surprise Alexa was born!! Like living in Canada...houses are cheaper, cost of living is cheaper, its safer, people are friendlier I find. Although Tv is crap (thank god for Setanta!!) I'll give Trailer Park Boys as an example.

However just recently after speaking to mates back home I've felt homesick the last month or so..I'm sure everyone is the same and misses England from time to time. I try and stay active by playing footy (can't face calling it Soccer) in Hamilton and will be playing outdoor this summer. I have made a few good mates here but wondering if anyone else on these boards lives in the area and fancies meeting up or if there are any group meetups in the area?? Or if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Pete
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 Months in Stoney Creek...Slightly homesick

I'll bump this for you mate. Maybe someone who lives locally will see it.
I don't live in the area I'm afraid, I'm a couple or three hours away; otherwise I'd be joining you for a pint.

Takes a while to get over the homesickness. After 4 years I miss the culture, I miss the pub, I miss the history, the countryside, curries and kebabs, going to watch football, decent TV...I miss my mates a lot too - although most of them moved away not long after I did so going back home I'd be scrabbling around for people to go out with! Do any of your friends have plans to visit? That's always a good way to catch up and they'll usually convince you that you're better off here.
As for football - yeah, I know! The "soccer" thing sticks in my throat as well! I'm "not allowed" to get Setanta so make do with downloads of MOTD from UKNova and watch whatever free live stuff I can on TV. The BBC channels sometimes have some worthwhile shows on - Top Gear from 2004 springs to mind but they're laced with commercials...like all TV here.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pete, for what it's worth....I came here alone 20 years ago aged 26. Met and married a Canadian girl and had baby son soon after.
Love the footy and have coached soccer for 12 years until this year as son is now 18.
We live in london, if you fancy a visit and a chat, let us know.
It is hard but if this is what you want, it works out in the end, just takes a bit of time.
I just went back to England in March for the first time in nearly 17 years!!
We had a great time. but I came back Home, here in Ontario.
It really is what you want to put into it, I gave myself 6 months here and if i didn't like it I would go back. 20 years later I'm still here and love it, (well, not the winter...).
Best of luck to you!!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

Join the British Expats meet up group, they meet once a month at different pubs in Toronto. Go to www.meetup.com then type in British Expats for the details. We go if I'm not working and it is a good night out.