Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

16 year old school leaver, what to do with him?

16 year old school leaver, what to do with him?

Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice
Default Re: 16 year old school leaver, what to do with him?

Hi!

We have a daughter who is turning 18 this August and plan to move over mid part of next year on a WP. We are currently having her GCSE's converted through IQAS.

Just to let people know IQAS want the original certificates and we are having problems with them accepting 'Statement of Results'. I explained you cannot get duplicate certicates if they are lost.

Reading through the threads I wonder if this would be a good time for her to move with us? It would appear to be a waste of time converting her GCSE's and there's little hope for her. Surely their must be something for 18 year olds to do? Basically she needs to re-sit her exams at high school, but what is the cut-off age/month for this and is this qualification over a year or two?

Or, if the family has a WP, does she need to then apply independently for a WP to work, what do you know about this?

Help!! What is there for 18+ year olds other than voluntary work?? I'm so confused
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:02 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Hi!

We have a daughter who is turning 18 this August and plan to move over mid part of next year on a WP. We are currently having her GCSE's converted through IQAS.

..... It would appear to be a waste of time converting her GCSE's and there's little hope for her. Surely their must be something for 18 year olds to do? Basically she needs to re-sit her exams at high school, but what is the cut-off age/month for this and is this qualification over a year or two?

Or, if the family has a WP, does she need to then apply independently for a WP to work, what do you know about this?

Help!! What is there for 18+ year olds other than voluntary work?? I'm so confused
I have no idea of the restrictions due to WP but here is my experience as a Permanent Resident.

We used http://www.wes.org/ca/index.asp and they didnt demand the original certificates. They wrote to the certificating bodies and received the record of results.

I wouldnt say there is nothing for her to do.

High school in NB often keep pupils behind if they do not pass their grade tests so it is not uncommon to come across a 20 year old in the high school. We should have asked the high school if they would have taken Kathryn in to sit her high school diploma (would have saved us about $5,700). Kathryn applied to UNB for a place on the Nursing Degree but because there are only 45 places she didnt get on. The dean of nursing interviewed her and asked her to start the none degree programme and transfer over later. She did and at first all was well.

What we failed to realise was that a two week trip (and absence from classes) back to UK would fail her on two course (it would have been better to withdraw from the classes than fail). So when the time came to transfer her Grade Point Average was lower than when she first applied. Result demoralised young woman - dropped out. She is currently working at a supermarket and applying again next year for Medical Lab technician degree. She will(hopefully) be taking some non degree programme course this year to boost her GPA and gain some more credits.

Phew sorry for the length of this I hope it helps.

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Jun 21st 2008 at 11:05 am.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:57 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody here has come up with a definite answer about dependents of TWP holders getting work, (and I am uncertain, going on hearsay) so I think you might try asking about this on the Immigration section of the forum. There are "experts" who might advise you, or somebody else who has actually passed that hurdle.....

Our son wasn't accepted into engineering at UofC on his A level results, but rather than going to a high school, he did "highschool top-ups" at a further education type of set-up. He just took Phyics 30 and Chem 20/30, passed those and was admitted to uni the next year. (we had our permanent residency though, so there was no problem with him working)

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jun 21st 2008 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 6:10 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Nobody here has come up with a definite answer about dependents of TWP holders getting work, (and I am uncertain, going on hearsay) so I think you might try asking about this on the Immigration section of the forum. There are "experts" who might advise you, or somebody else who has actually passed that hurdle.....
Yes, Morwenna, this point is covered in several different Wiki articles (that is, articles about temporary work permits and articles about children / teenagers).

The point is that children of work permit holders are NOT entitled to work permits. (I typed that in bold red font just to help people see the statement. I thought there was a danger of its getting lost.)

Well, technically, if a prospective employer could get a Labour Market Opinion, the child COULD get a temporary work permit. But what 16-year-old or 18-year-old or 20-year-old is going to have qualifications and experience that could not be found in a Canadian resident?

So, while the child TECHNICALLY might be able to get a temporary work permit, REALISTICALLY it's not going to happen.

Unlike spouses of people in Skill Levels 0, A and B on the National Occuapational Classification Matrix, who are eligible for spousal open work permits, children of those people are not entitled to open work permits.

The only thing that children of work permit holders can do is volunteer work (and even then it must be volunteer work that customarily is done by volunteers so that it is not taking away an employment opportunity from a Canadian resident) or study (with a study permit) or laze around.

I personally think it's unfortunate, and it's something I would plug into my calculation if I was assessing whether or not it was worth going to Canada on a temporary work permit.

We were in the identical situation in Australia, and our then teenaged sons were allowed to work. Our younger son's part-time job contributed to his happiness and was one of the factors that helped him to enjoy his time in Australia.

I feel for the people who are weighing up the pros and cons of Canada and who have to consider this issue in their overall decision.
x
Old Jun 21st 2008, 6:17 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
For those in that position, its always possible to volunteer at your local hospital, charity store etc., or if you know what you would like to do in latter life (or even if you don`t) work for free for a local business. That way you gain valuable experience, it looks good on a future resume, and you get to go out and meet people.
The experts on the immigration forum have told us that a visitor to Canada is not allowed to work for a business for free. A visitor is allowed to perform an activity that customarily is performed by volunteers, e.g., doing deliveries for Meals On Wheels. But, if a person carries out duties for a business that otherwise would be done by a paid employee, the volunteer is taking away a potential employment opportunity from a Canadian resident. Or at least that's the way the Canadian government views the situation.

I consider the existing system to be unfortunate, but I'm just clarifying that that's the way it is.

The Wiki article called Volunteer Work-Canada explains this in more detail, and provides a link to the relevant government website.
x
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:05 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
The experts on the immigration forum have told us that a visitor to Canada is not allowed to work for a business for free. A visitor is allowed to perform an activity that customarily is performed by volunteers, e.g., doing deliveries for Meals On Wheels. But, if a person carries out duties for a business that otherwise would be done by a paid employee, the volunteer is taking away a potential employment opportunity from a Canadian resident. Or at least that's the way the Canadian government views the situation.

I consider the existing system to be unfortunate, but I'm just clarifying that that's the way it is.

The Wiki article called Volunteer Work-Canada explains this in more detail, and provides a link to the relevant government website.
x
Thanks for clarifying that Judy, I though it was only "paid" work that was forbidden, but it make sense that all "real work" paid or not is forbidden.

But there is still a wide variety of volunteer work available to teens which would benefit them and their community while they await PR or a return to their native land.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:34 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Thanks for clarifying that Judy, I though it was only "paid" work that was forbidden, but it make sense that all "real work" paid or not is forbidden.

But there is still a wide variety of volunteer work available to teens which would benefit them and their community while they await PR or a return to their native land.
In BC, you can't do most volunteer work without legal status, either. It is a question of indemnification for the organization, as I understand it.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

The Burbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the advice offered, we will get him there first then discuss the situation with him.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi!!

Thank you to everybody for this clarification!!

OH SH-T!!!!!!!!!! & OH NO!!!!!!!!!! :curse:

OK! so our daughter has two options, stay in England whilst awaiting PR approval or go back to studying (which is not a bad thing).

How long do they have to go back to school for after achieving GCSE's credits?

This is really a bad situation for teenagers who don't want to study!!

Angela
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:19 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Hi!!

Thank you to everybody for this clarification!!

OH SH-T!!!!!!!!!! & OH NO!!!!!!!!!! :curse:

OK! so our daughter has two options, stay in England whilst awaiting PR approval or go back to studying (which is not a bad thing).

How long do they have to go back to school for after achieving GCSE's credits?

This is really a bad situation for teenagers who don't want to study!!

Angela
High school in Canada is until you are 18 or thereabouts (depending on you achieving the necessary credits to graduate). I think they will let your daughter into school here in Canada you need to check. I know of others on TWP with their young kids in kindergarten
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:44 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

16 is a great time High Schools offer trade Training - See Technical vocational schools.

What trade does he want to do?
local tecvoc school has these trades

Vocational Programs

Information Technology Studies
Electronics
Drafting
Human Ecology
Commercial Cooking & Baking
Radio & Television Broadcasting
Ad Art
Graphic Arts
Photograpy
Child Care
Dental Technology
Dental Assisting
Building Construction
Electrical
Machining
Auto
Music
Welding

So plenty to choose from.

As for going to school here at different ages. The year my 16 yr old son graduated grade 12 there was a 23yr old croatian lad graduating along with 20yr old Canadians.

There are also 12 week course for over 18yr olds to get their GED. See
Home Programs & ServicesGED Testing Service Testing Program Contacts

GED Administrators Canada
Provinces and Territories are listed alphabetically.

Alberta
Michele Samuel
GED Administrator
Alberta Education
Learner Assessment Branch
44 Capital Blvd., 10044-108 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 5E6
(780) 422-2626

British Columbia
Brenda Neufeld
Administrator
Ministry of Education
Box 9886 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9T6
(250) 356-8133

Manitoba
Marie Matheson
GED Administrator
Adult Learning and Literacy (ALL)
340-9th Street, Room 129
Brandon, MB R7A 6C2
(204) 726-6027
Fax: (204) 726-6339
GED toll-free: (800) 853-7402
Literacy toll-free: (800) 262-3930

New Brunswick
Linda O'Brien
GED Administrator
Department of Training and Employment Development
470 York Street, Suite 120
P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
(506) 444-3492
Fax: (506) 444-4960

Newfoundland and Labrador
Bob Gardiner
GED Administrator and Chief Examiner
Evaluation, Testing, and Certification
Department of Education
P.O. Box 8700
St. John’s, NF A1B 4J6
(709) 729-6261

Ms. Debbie Jeans
GED Clerk
(709) 729-2405

Northwest Territories
Bonnie Koslowski
GED Administrator
Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Lahm Ridge Tower - 2nd Floor
Franklin Avenue
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
(867) 920-8939
Fax: (867) 873-0338

Nova Scotia
Michelle Thomason
Manager, GED Administrator and Chief Examiner
Adult Education Division
Skills and Learning Branch
Nova Scotia Department of Education
2021 Brunswick Street, P.O. Box 578
Halifax, NS B3J 2S9
(902) 424-0883
Fax: (902) 424-1171

Nunavut
Kathy Okpik
GED Administrator
Government of Nunavut
P.O. Box 1000, Station 980
Iqaluit, NU X0A 0H0
(867) 975-5600
Fax: (867) 975-5600

Ontario
Ron Pelland
GED Administrator and Chief Examiner
Independent Learning Centre
2180 Yonge Street, 7th Floor
Toronto, ON M4F 2B9
(416) 484-2600
Fax: (416) 325-3383

Prince Edward Island
Barbara Macnutt
Manager, Literacy Initiatives Secretariat
Department of Education
16 Fitzroy Street
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
(902) 368-6286

Quebec
Marc Leduc
GED Administrator
DFGA
1035 De La Chevrotiere, 17th Floor
Quebec, QC G1R 5A5
(418) 646-8363
Fax: (418) 528-7454

Saskatchewan
Ernie Lipinski
GED Administrator
Saskatchewan Learning
1945 Hamilton Street, 12th Floor
Regina, SK S4P 2C8
(306) 787-8131

Yukon
Shelagh Rowles
Dean, Developmental Studies
Yukon College
500 College Drive
P.O. Box 2799
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 5K4
(867) 668-8741

Susan Drury
Examiner
(867) 668-8875

All my kids did some volunteering at the local community centre as credits on their school work, so lots of ooportunities around.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

The Burbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Grah, thanks for the information, I will look into it when we land. He is showing an interest in construction trades, plumbing is looking favourite.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi!

Yeah I have found out today from friends in Manitoba that there has been older students in High School. So will check this out later!

I believe for our 18yr old daughter or the other 16yr old lad that they can have their GCSE'S converted into credits and then do their top-ups through High School. I'll find this out once our daughter has her qualifications looked at through IQAS or another board. She may only need to do a year at High School! This will be good until PR comes through I also know that she would have to start at the beginning of September term.

Remember they base their qualifications on a credit system!!

So not all lost!!

Cheers for all the links!!

Angela
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:39 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this has probably been covered but I have 16 year old boy, just sat his GCSE's. I rang the school counselor in the school that we were considering in Vancouver and as mentioned was told that his GCSE results were taken as credits towards his high school diploma and he will start with his age group in September. As clarified by Judy with a TWP children on study permits are not allowed to work, of which my 16 year old is very glad
HTH
Terese
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi!

I've been told kids under 22 years can either get study or work permits. But would employers be bothered paying and waiting for it, I suppose it depends on the demand???

Angela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.