Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

14 Day Quarantine regulation?

14 Day Quarantine regulation?

Old Apr 9th 2020, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 14 Day Quarantine regulation?

Originally Posted by Photoplex
They will likely extend their expiration date as this reality manifests later. If they aren't offering flights they can't expect you to use a travel voucher.

The real concern is how you use a travel voucher for an airline that has filed for bankruptcy and is bust. Economists are predicting most European and North American airlines can last until around June with the current lack of flights.
I would think that somebody like British Airways or Lufthansa or KLM would probably be bailed out by their respective governments thus vouchers would still be valid. The issue is also that some airlines only offer vouchers and rebookings until August, but interestingly not September or October?

The main issue I have is with the 14 day quarantine requirement, as I see it as a measure of one country not trusting the other one and regulations which are not reciprocal, as sadly many are.

Unlike Canada, the UK doesn't have a 14 day quarantine requirement. Plus the quarantine requirement in Canada doesn't save from spreading the virus among people who haven't been abroad. I was often wondering whether this is just a populistic move by politicians as well. They could either have offered testing at the airport, or have required all new arrivals to wear facial masks for 14 days when in public, - they actually prevent from spreading.

I am also scared that the 14 day quarantine requirement would be the last thing to go, once the virus curve would go down.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 7:36 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Unlike Canada, the UK doesn't have a 14 day quarantine requirement.
And how's that going for the UK? I don't think any country in the world should be looking to the UK model so far on how to handle this problem. It's been almost as farcical as the US.

They could either have offered testing at the airport
Asymptomatic cases.

or have required all new arrivals to wear facial masks for 14 days when in public
Far better saved for front line health workers, than tourists.

You're just going to have to accept the fact that if you're coming (indeed, if you can even source a flight) you're going to have to pay for a place to isolate for 14 days. Don't like it? Those are the rules, stay there. Nobody has a gun to your head.

Last edited by Photoplex; Apr 9th 2020 at 7:39 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

BC is enhancing the screening for the 14 day quarantine, sounds like if they don't like the plan you have, they will be sending you to a hotel to spend 14 days, but they were a little vague about it all.

More details on what is happening in BC. Those returning to BC from outside Canada both via air and land will have to now present a formal 14 day self isolation plan.

The plans must show in detail that people returning have the supports in place to safely self isolate for 14 days.

The plans must be approved by officials who will be at the border crossings beginning Friday.

Those who arrive without a plan, or a plan that isn't approved will be sent to a quarantine site.

Forms for self isolation plans can be done online or on arrival in person.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rder-1.5526186

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 9th 2020 at 8:47 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

And how's that going for the UK? I don't think any country in the world should be looking to the UK model so far on how to handle this problem. It's been almost as farcical as the US.

Asymptomatic cases.

Far better saved for front line health workers, than tourists.
I could get one however it's not a surgical one. In some countries they are actually the law once you enter a supermarket. I am also no tourist.

You're just going to have to accept the fact that if you're coming (indeed, if you can even source a flight) you're going to have to pay for a place to isolate for 14 days. Don't like it? Those are the rules, stay there. Nobody has a gun to your head.
I am afraid, I am aware of the rules. However in the current situation it's natural to have questions around that. The problem is that I simply can't self isolate, as the place I am renting in Toronto is a shared housing thing. My own room, but washroom and kitchen shared. Even if I was confined to my room, I'd have to use the washroom at some point, even if I was ordering pizza every day, somebody would have to deliver it from the door of the house to my room. And these somebodies whom I am sharing with, are sometimes around, sometimes not, and probably not to keen to wait on some food delivery for me. Hence it's only natural, the 14 day quarantine regulation concerns me a lot, especially as there is no end in sight. ( the likes of "getting under review" when the curve flattens, etc... )

I would have to return to Canada by September.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Apr 9th 2020 at 9:49 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 10:13 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed this: https://www.cp24.com/news/returnees-...plan-1.4895542
Old Apr 15th 2020, 4:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
And here's the official including mask wearing and not being permitted to stay where there are vulnerable adults - but appears to suggest travellers may be placed in Govt. assigned isolation: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ng-canada.html
This Order is mandatory and will come into force and be implemented one minute after midnight on April 15, 2020.
An updated Order is being issued, under which any traveller arriving in Canada—whether they are symptomatic or asymptomatic—cannot isolate or quarantine in a place where they would be in contact with people who are vulnerable, such as adults aged 65 years or over and people with pre-existing medical conditions.

Upon arrival, every traveller will need to confirm that they have a suitable place to isolate or quarantine, where they will have access to basic necessities, such as food and medication. Travellers will be expected to make plans for where they will isolate or quarantine in advance of arriving to Canada.

Travellers who do not have an appropriate place in which to isolate or quarantine themselves must go to a place designated by the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada. These criteria are newly applied to asymptomatic travellers.

In addition, all travellers arriving in Canada will be required to wear a non-medical mask or face covering to proceed to their final destination where they will isolate or quarantine
Old Apr 16th 2020, 8:30 am
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
And here's the official including mask wearing and not being permitted to stay where there are vulnerable adults - but appears to suggest travellers may be placed in Govt. assigned isolation: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ng-canada.html
"An updated Order is being issued, under which any traveller arriving in Canada—whether they are symptomatic or asymptomatic—cannot isolate or quarantine in a place where they would be in contact with people who are vulnerable, such as adults aged 65 years or over"

So would that mean that two adults - say husband and wife, who are both over 65 would have to self-isolate separately?

Old Apr 16th 2020, 8:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
So the federal government basically doing what BC started doing last Friday.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
"An updated Order is being issued, under which any traveller arriving in Canada—whether they are symptomatic or asymptomatic—cannot isolate or quarantine in a place where they would be in contact with people who are vulnerable, such as adults aged 65 years or over"

So would that mean that two adults - say husband and wife, who are both over 65 would have to self-isolate separately?
I tend to think it means the couple who are both over 65 and have travelled together could not isolate in a place where someone else (family member) is over 65.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 3:15 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
"So would that mean that two adults - say husband and wife, who are both over 65 would have to self-isolate separately?
Old Apr 16th 2020, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

If they travelled together then they can self isolate together but not with other over 65 year olds - I think!
Old Apr 16th 2020, 8:18 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
If they travelled together then they can self isolate together but not with other over 65 year olds - I think!
That emoji was to represent "is this a real question... or a joke?"
Old Apr 17th 2020, 8:17 am
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

That emoji was to represent "is this a real question... or a joke?"
Yes, it was meant as a real question so sorry if I expressed it badly.
This IRCC site seems to give detailed guidance https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ion-sheet.html and somewhere I think I saw that the over 65 rule can be waived if the vulnerable (over 65) person agrees.