Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

14 Day Quarantine regulation?

14 Day Quarantine regulation?

Old Mar 27th 2020, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default 14 Day Quarantine regulation?

Just wondering, is there a time limit, how long this 14 day quarantine regulation requirement will be in place?

Also, if one is a Canadian citizen, but doesn't have a permanent address to self isolate for 14 days, what is the regulation for that? Is there the option to spend these 14 days at the quarantine center at CFB Trenton?
Old Mar 27th 2020, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 14 Day Quarantine regulation?

Also, if one is a Canadian citizen, but doesn't have a permanent address to self isolate for 14 days, what is the regulation for that? Is there the option to spend these 14 days at the quarantine center at CFB Trenton?

Do you plan to fly there in your own 747? I doubt very much that would be an option.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 8:38 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Just wondering, is there a time limit, how long this 14 day quarantine regulation requirement will be in place?
No timeline given, so for the foreseeable future.

Of course not. You will need to rent an AirBnB or hotel room for the duration of your self quarantine.

Last edited by Photoplex; Mar 27th 2020 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
No timeline given, so for the foreseeable future.

Of course not. You will need to rent an AirBnB or hotel room for the duration of your self quarantine.

You can probably imagine my dilemma here. I am in the process of selling a property overseas, and during that process I have the requirement to travel back and forth quite a bit. It involves organizing logistics, a container, etc... Things I simply can't organize from within Canada.

Currently I am stuck overseas, and a return to Canada is due to the 14 day quarantine regulation out of question. The other issue is that airlines have often stopped flights or are cancelling at the spur of the moment.

In the end, I am locked out of my own country at this point.

I guess, I just have to sit and wait. I am sadly guessing, it'll be until August or September.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 4:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You can probably imagine my dilemma here. I am in the process of selling a property overseas, and during that process I have the requirement to travel back and forth quite a bit. It involves organizing logistics, a container, etc... Things I simply can't organize from within Canada.
I arranged a power of attorney allowing my mother to do all that.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 5:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Currently I am stuck overseas, and a return to Canada is due to the 14 day quarantine regulation out of question. The other issue is that airlines have often stopped flights or are cancelling at the spur of the moment.

In the end, I am locked out of my own country at this point.

I guess, I just have to sit and wait. I am sadly guessing, it'll be until August or September.
I arranged a shipment from the UK to Canada while living in Canada - it's not impossible but requires some careful planning... everything is at a standstill right now so they probably wouldn't be able to help you pack the boxes etc., at the moment regardless. If you can pack everything yourself you could put it into storage and your shipping agent can collect from the storage facility when you are ready to ship. (which is what I did - my belongings were in storage for 3 years)
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I arranged a shipment from the UK to Canada while living in Canada - it's not impossible but requires some careful planning... everything is at a standstill right now so they probably wouldn't be able to help you pack the boxes etc., at the moment regardless. If you can pack everything yourself you could put it into storage and your shipping agent can collect from the storage facility when you are ready to ship. (which is what I did - my belongings were in storage for 3 years)
Thanks. I am aware of this, however at this point none of these alternatives are a choice. Also, I am only by myself, no relative, no friend, no power of attorney, nobody who could support or help. It would have to be myself.

At the moment, I just have to stay put and wait things out. Unfortunately, I am thinking things won't happen before September.

The country in question is mainland Europe and the logistical move of personal items back to Canada and the sale of a property and this undertaking requires me to fly back and forth at least twice.

I am not certain, whether Canada would ever lift the 14 day quarantine regulation for European countries at some point when the curve flattens but, while the virus is still strong in the US? I don't think they would consider this at all, politicians don't think or operate like this. Thus I think, September is more realistic.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I am aware of this, however at this point none of these alternatives are a choice. Also, I am only by myself, no relative, no friend, no power of attorney, nobody who could support or help. It would have to be myself.

At the moment, I just have to stay put and wait things out. Unfortunately, I am thinking things won't happen before September.

The country in question is mainland Europe and the logistical move of personal items back to Canada and the sale of a property and this undertaking requires me to fly back and forth at least twice.

I am not certain, whether Canada would ever lift the 14 day quarantine regulation for European countries at some point when the curve flattens but, while the virus is still strong in the US? I don't think they would consider this at all, politicians don't think or operate like this. Thus I think, September is more realistic.
If it's any consolation you're not alone in having your life and plans disrupted by the virus.

September is quite optimistic. The Guardian got hold of a confidential memo that said it could extend to 2021: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-hospitalised
Old Mar 31st 2020, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
If it's any consolation you're not alone in having your life and plans disrupted by the virus.

September is quite optimistic. The Guardian got hold of a confidential memo that said it could extend to 2021: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-hospitalised
I am aware of this. Unlike others here, I am stuck in another country. Also I have no income at the moment. I also don't qualify for any kind of financial assistance at this point.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 4:01 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy

September is quite optimistic. The Guardian got hold of a confidential memo that said it could extend to 2021
If that’s the case then these travel vouchers that all the airlines are offering instead of refunds are going to be worthless
Old Mar 31st 2020, 5:19 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
If that’s the case then these travel vouchers that all the airlines are offering instead of refunds are going to be worthless
They will likely extend their expiration date as this reality manifests later. If they aren't offering flights they can't expect you to use a travel voucher.

The real concern is how you use a travel voucher for an airline that has filed for bankruptcy and is bust. Economists are predicting most European and North American airlines can last until around June with the current lack of flights.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 5:22 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
They will likely extend their expiration date as this reality manifests later. If they aren't offering flights they can't expect you to use a travel voucher.

The real concern is how you use a travel voucher for an airline that has filed for bankruptcy and is bust.
Thats what I’m reading up upon right now. Airline Consumer rights groups are saying not to accept the vouchers because if the airline go bankrupt then the charge back on credit card would be easier to get via a dispute. If you accept them and don’t get to use them then are are seen as a creditor and therefore chances of getting your money back are slim

However things could change
Old Mar 31st 2020, 5:34 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thats what I’m reading up upon right now. Airline Consumer rights groups are saying not to accept the vouchers because if the airline go bankrupt then the charge back on credit card would be easier to get via a dispute. If you accept them and don’t get to use them then are are seen as a creditor and therefore chances of getting your money back are slim
Which only hasten the demise of the airlines. Not that I'm suggesting people should be more concerned for MegaCorp airlines then themselves of course.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:19 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

However things could change
I have had my trip cancelled by WestJet (through expedia), they sent me the link to get the value back in WestJet dollars, but I'm hesitant to do that for the reason beckiwoo mentions. Thing is, my trip was due on 11th April, so do I have to do something *now*, or at least before the 11th, or risk losing the refund to WestJet dollars?
They mention:

Changes or cancellations more than 24 hours from purchase, will be returned as WestJet dollars, valid for 24 months from date of issue. We are not processing refunds to original form of payment at this time. We will update this information when it is available.
How long until they have information when it's available?

Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I have had my trip cancelled by WestJet (through expedia), they sent me the link to get the value back in WestJet dollars, but I'm hesitant to do that for the reason beckiwoo mentions. Thing is, my trip was due on 11th April, so do I have to do something *now*, or at least before the 11th, or risk losing the refund to WestJet dollars?
They mention:

How long until they have information when it's available?
There's a class action in the courts right now against several airlines including westjet demanding that refunds are given instead of future travel credits. I'm not part of the class action but will be following it closely as westjet effectively cancelled my flights in May. I now have to pay another airline whilst westjet holds on to my money. I've heard some people saying poor old airlines it's not there fault which I agree technically it isn't but that's business some times it's just great and you make the big $$$ but sometimes s#it happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.