Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

12 year old slashed in school in Sheffield UK

Wikiposts

12 year old slashed in school in Sheffield UK

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:03 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 year old slashed in school in Sheffield UK

Originally Posted by NewCalgarian
That sort of stuff happens here too. Don't think that because you are emigrating, you will no longer encounter it.
MMMM me thinks someone spat the dummy out here

Just because you are emmigrating this doesn't happen here !!!!!!

MMM me thinks you missed the boat here.
The point I was trying to make / get across was that this happened in the girls school, in her classroom in front of other pupils etc.

Does this happen in Canada, you show me the news story !!!!!!!!

Parents send their kids to school to learn, be taught an education, to be safe, not to be attacked and slashed in front of other pupils.

Eddie
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
MMMM me thinks someone spat the dummy out here

Just because you are emmigrating this doesn't happen here !!!!!!

MMM me thinks you missed the boat here.
The point I was trying to make / get across was that this happened in the girls school, in her classroom in front of other pupils etc.

Does this happen in Canada, you show me the news story !!!!!!!!

Parents send their kids to school to learn, be taught an education, to be safe, not to be attacked and slashed in front of other pupils.

Eddie

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/ser..._lanot20051017

do you want more????
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 11:23 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
NO thanks

Enoughs enough as they say !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

HUMMMMMMMMMMM Voyager970.....perhaps you may want to reconsider where you want to live when you come to Canada....!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
NO thanks

Enoughs enough as they say !!!!!!!!!!!

please don't put too much stock into this info....you got a lot better chances of hitting the lottery than something like this happening to your family......I was just pointing out that there is crime everywhere and the Canada is not immune to it........in general it is a safe place as I belive the UK is........chose where you live with caution and you will be ok.....good luck
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:57 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
I agree that crime is everywhere and no way is Canada crime-free, but having lived in a large city in the UK and a large city in Canada I can tell you that I feel a great deal safer here.
We used to live in Plymouth and there is no way I would want to walk down town on an evening. Over here I feel SO MUCH safer - although the Canadians can't drive to save their lives! Thats my 2 cents worth
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:59 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

yes, there is crime here - a friend of mine tells me stories from her kids school (it is a LARGE secondary) that would make your hair curl (the machete attacks did actually get into the provincial papers)

There is a drug problem

there are way more guns here than in the UK (and apparently even than in the states, per head of population)

BUT - I don't lock my house during the day (I feel so safe) and none of my neighbours seem to either

AND - people seem more willing to intervene (eg "ticking off" groups of kids for inappropriate behaviour)

AND there is way less petty vandalism. The playgrounds are always usable, etc, etc.

just my two cents worth...

Last edited by ClareBC; Oct 22nd 2005 at 2:02 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

in general it is a safe place as I belive the UK is........chose where you live with caution and you will be ok.....good luck
Generally it is a lot safer place than the UK. The homicide stats are skewed by high rates in NWT and Nunavut, and who lives there??

The level of assualt, theft from or of cars, and burglary are lower than cities of similar size in the UK.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ClareBC

there are way more guns here than in the UK (and apparently even than in the states, per head of population)
Exactly the point made by Michael Moore in "Bowling for Columbine". If the Canadians own 7 million guns how come the gun crime/murder rates way lower than the US?
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Over the weekend we had a big riot in Birmingham, 1 person died and a copper was injured!

I dunno why some of you are panicking 'cos you don't live here anymore

This kind of thing could happen anywhere.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
1. Calgary has a murder rate of 1.9/100,000, which is about on a par with the safest city in the US (Honolulu).

This figure is also less than the large cities of equal size in the UK. Personal assualts are way lower than in the UK. Even the relatively affluent borough of London that I used to live in had a murder rate of 2.5/100,000

2. At the end of my street is a road that has pubs, restuarants and bars all open late. Myself and my wife can walk there at any time of the evening without witnessing the drunken yob culture that is prevalent in the UK.

I agree that crime is everywhere and no way is Canada crime-free, but having lived in a large city in the UK and a large city in Canada I can tell you that I feel a great deal safer here.
I'm interested in this, because my French tutor has asked me (for homework) to choose one reason for wanting to go to Canada and I was considering saying that there is a lower crime rate, but am I right or wrong there?

Then she's going to grill me about the subject so I need to collect some facts and figures similar to the ones you have quoted - are there any more sources of such data?

It's very interesting to note from the responses here that some people FEEL safer in Canada, whether or not there is still crime. I believe people are more respectful to one another and that is one of my major reasons for wanting to be over there.

Any help gratefully received and if you can translate it into French all the better !
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bethan2
I'm interested in this, because my French tutor has asked me (for homework) to choose one reason for wanting to go to Canada and I was considering saying that there is a lower crime rate, but am I right or wrong there?

Then she's going to grill me about the subject so I need to collect some facts and figures similar to the ones you have quoted - are there any more sources of such data?

It's very interesting to note from the responses here that some people FEEL safer in Canada, whether or not there is still crime. I believe people are more respectful to one another and that is one of my major reasons for wanting to be over there.

Any help gratefully received and if you can translate it into French all the better !

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I just printed off a lot of figures. There are some very interesting comparisons.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 3:51 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

That is a very interesting site - but if you take out murders and put in "most trigger happy" Canada is 20th in the world. I'm suprised... (UK #32)
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 4:25 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ClareBC
That is a very interesting site - but if you take out murders and put in "most trigger happy" Canada is 20th in the world. I'm suprised... (UK #32)

Why is that Clare? Since we've been in Toronto, there has ben at least 7 murders, and we haven't even started yet, on fatal accidents. Am sure Toronto Ontario is not alone on this, there is a whole lot happening in BC and other provinces too, even though the country only has 30 million people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.