Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

110v UK arc welder OK in Canada?

110v UK arc welder OK in Canada?

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice
Default 110v UK arc welder OK in Canada?

I'm thinking of getting an arc welder, but am moving to Canada next year so don't want to buy a 240V model. It's for DIY use only.

If I buy a 240/110V switchable, will that work in both countries?

I've checked the threads but it seems like the 110V power tool issue may not be quite as simple as I thought...
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

markpeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 110v UK arc welder OK in Canada?

Originally Posted by screene
I'm thinking of getting an arc welder, but am moving to Canada next year so don't want to buy a 240V model. It's for DIY use only.

If I buy a 240/110V switchable, will that work in both countries?

I've checked the threads but it seems like the 110V power tool issue may not be quite as simple as I thought...
Hi,
110v power tools used in the UK (yellow plug & transformer required) will no doubt be at 50hz. The 110v in Canada will be 60hz and so will not work. Unless of course, the welder says it can be used with 50/60hz.

Mark
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Voltage and current I just about understand, frequency is where I come unstuck so thanks for your post Mark.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The frequency thing affects (synchronous?) motors more than anything, rather than power applications, so its probably OK, but as you havent bought it yet why not ask the manufacturer / sales rep?

Last edited by iaink; Jul 22nd 2009 at 9:10 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, electrical goods must have CSA or UL approval in order to be used in Canada. I don't know if goods sold in the UK have that approval. Any chance you could hold off and buy your welder in Canada? Miller and Lincoln Electric kit should be widely available. And don't write off 240 v completely, because most N. American homes have 240 v available for dryers and stoves (different plugs from UK, though).
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

markpeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bill_S
AFAIK, electrical goods must have CSA or UL approval in order to be used in Canada. I don't know if goods sold in the UK have that approval. Any chance you could hold off and buy your welder in Canada? Miller and Lincoln Electric kit should be widely available. And don't write off 240 v completely, because most N. American homes have 240 v available for dryers and stoves (different plugs from UK, though).
As iaink said, best to ask manufacturer or rep, but I seriously doubt it will be able to use both voltages/frequencies due to how welders work. As for the 240v in N.America, AFAIK their plugs use a four wire system for 240V as opposed to the 3 wire UK system (it's down to the use of transformers in N.American homes) and would need some professional advice and re-wiring of the plug.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Different grounding too 240V in Canadian homes is two 120s working together around a floating ground. What that techno-babble means in real terms is that UK kit, designed with one live line and the neutral and ground lines common, could inadvertently result in grounded stuff being at 120V as there are two hot lines with Canadian domestic 240V installation!

Then there are the insurance implications too.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
240V in Canadian homes is two 120s working together around a floating ground.
I know a pair of 120s that are 180 degrees out of phase.

I should have been clearer... my best recommendation to the OP is to buy his welder in Canada, and to look at 240 volt models over here.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds complicated. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more power tools until we'd migrated, but I have a need for a welder now - maybe I'll borow or hire one instead.

I'm plannning to take the rest of my kit and use voltage converters, because it's worth so little 2nd hand.

I know that people have said that tools are cheaper in Canada, but I have yet to find anywhere like Screwfix or Toolstation which provide great value and choice of equipment over here. Home Hardware appear to be more along the lines of B+Q.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I know that people have said that tools are cheaper in Canada, but I have yet to find anywhere like Screwfix or Toolstation which provide great value and choice of equipment over here. Home Hardware appear to be more along the lines of B+Q.
There are all sorts of indusrial suppliers. Brafasco and Fastenal are two that spring to mind that we use. Then there are places like Princess Auto and Canadian Tire if you want cheap but not necessarily built to last a lifetime of industrial abuse.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:23 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Unless the rules have changed, one of the few items you are not allowed to bring into Canada as part of your personal belongings are welders.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sure that good value stuff must be available in Canada - after all I'm sure that Canada is as busy importing stuff for next to nothing from China just as the UK is

Still got doubts about the amount of choice available though - pretty limited I thought when I was in NS last year. One of the things I like about the firms I mentioned in this country is the fact that the mail order is so quick and efficient (I hate shopping and buy pretty much everything on-line these days).

Gavin - thanks, that's my decision made then.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:44 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

I'm sure that good value stuff must be available in Canada - after all I'm sure that Canada is as busy importing stuff for next to nothing from China just as the UK is

Still got doubts about the amount of choice available though - pretty limited I thought when I was in NS last year. One of the things I like about the firms I mentioned in this country is the fact that the mail order is so quick and efficient (I hate shopping and buy pretty much everything on-line these days).

Gavin - thanks, that's my decision made then.
You can get excellent welders here, I use a Lincoln one, however they are more expensive than the UK.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Home Hardware appear to be more along the lines of B+Q.
No they are independent stores who operate under a license agreement as a co-operative. Canadian Tire are mostly franchises. The closest to the box stores in the UK are Home Depot and Rona. Home Depot carry a mixture of cheap imports and industrial. We just bought a 30kw NG generator there and got a really good.They have some high end brands.

In many larger centres there are specialty tool suppliers, KMS tools do a reasonable range for industrial look as Acklands Granger

One thing to do when shopping Canada is always look out for sales. When one finishes another is bound to start in an hour or two!

This the sort of stuff you are after? Lincoln

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 23rd 2009 at 2:59 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:37 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
No they are independent stores who operate under a license agreement as a co-operative. Canadian Tire are mostly franchises. The closest to the box stores in the UK are Home Depot and Rona. Home Depot carry a mixture of cheap imports and industrial. We just bought a 30kw NG generator there and got a really good.They have some high end brands.

In many larger centres there are specialty tool suppliers, KMS tools do a reasonable range for industrial look as Acklands Granger

One thing to do when shopping Canada is always look out for sales. When one finishes another is bound to start in an hour or two!

This the sort of stuff you are after? Lincoln
Not so. Canadian Tire is not a franchise operation. They are dealerships. There are no franchise fees. Dealers compete for stores after their training and initial placement by The Tire. They then purchase the assets of that dealership from the previous dealer. All product is sourced through the Corporation and advertising is also shared. They are not franchises even though on the face of it they may appear so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.