Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

110 volts and 220 volts

110 volts and 220 volts

Old Jun 21st 2003, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Just a note that if you bring any of yoru belongings in tax and duty free when you become a PR you are not allowed to sell them afterwards in Canada for i think 1-5 years, certainly at least a year. If you do you will have to pay CCRA the duty and tax on those items you didn't pay before, and if you don't then you are commiting some sort of fraud and if they find out they will probably bill you for it with interest.

For the PC's, check the power supply as suggested, anything made in the last 1-2 years should be dual 110/220 v usually with a small embedded switch so you dont do it by accident, otherwise anew one is cheap. For the monitor check again because every monitor I have owned in the UK has been dual voltage. I had one old 14" one thats about 5 years old that had a switch. The one i am using now i brought from the UK and it has no switch but if you read carefully on the label on the back it should say something linke input: 110-240V 50-60Hz , most are. all you need then is a new power lead which is cheap enough from radio shack or somewhere.

if you are in Toronto try this place for transformers and adaptors of all kinds:

www.houseof220.com

Drew
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 2:25 am
ajs
Just Joined

ajs is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Hi back again

I note what Wizzard says, however I can only speak from my own personal experience

When I brought my PC to Canada last year it would not work

I took it apart and traced it back to the load on Switched mode power supply being to much on start up

So disconnected everything except the floppy disk drive which I used to boot up in DOS only thus proving that the load on 110 Volts was too great

I spoke with several local computer companies who confirmed that
North American SM power supplies used here were different and certainly did not piggyback the monitor from the power supply

very different from U.K. also I live near Ottawa and the power supply is VERY NOISY get a filter it effects printers scanners etc.

Coming from U.K. we expect high quality services we take it for granted. Canada is so big and spread out you can't really expect perfection, but they are getting better

Except for CELL phones (get ready to go WAYYYY back in time)

You won't believe the quality of those speaking personally they need to go to U.K. to learn the definition of digital

anyway enough about that

good luck

the trick is ask everything about everything and don't assume it's done the same way as the U.K. and you won't get any nasty surprises

ajs