Reload this Page >

110 volts and 220 volts

110 volts and 220 volts

Old May 23rd 2003, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

goatee is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 110 volts and 220 volts

Can someone please tell me ..

1) Is the power 110 volts all across canada ?

2) Coming from the UK will I be able to run my 240v power tools ?

3) Are there transformers to do the above ?

4) Should I just sell everything I have and buy new ?

Also , we will be moving to saskatchewan and I have been looking at a number of homes for sale on the net that state 'wired 220 ' ? can anyone shed any light ?

many thanks

goatee
Old May 23rd 2003, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

sussie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there

my bf lives in canada and he says *buy new* the only 2 things over there that work off 220 is the dryer and stove

i know.....when i move i too have to sell everything and buy new
but hell.......what woman wouldnt be in heaven buying a new house

btw......maybe u could give us some info.....r u being sponcered and if so what is the amount a person needs for that??

hope this helps

sussie
Old May 23rd 2003, 9:26 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default power tools

why would you want to use 240 volt tools 110 volts is much safer thats why there used on sites here. Sell your 240 V tools and buy new there they are cheap, I returned from USA with 110 V saw third of price here.You may have trouble with chargers for battery tools but these are as dear as here so probably worth taking, someone may advise you re. the charging.No problems in Oz same as in Uk 240 V
Old May 24th 2003, 11:26 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: power tools

Originally posted by yafm
why would you want to use 240 volt tools 110 volts is much safer thats why there used on sites here. Sell your 240 V tools and buy new there they are cheap, I returned from USA with 110 V saw third of price here.You may have trouble with chargers for battery tools but these are as dear as here so probably worth taking, someone may advise you re. the charging.No problems in Oz same as in Uk 240 V

Check out the prices of new stuff at www.rona.ca

NOTE: When you click on the $ symbol you'll have to put in a Canadian postcode.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

We dont have Rona in Sask so far as I am aware.

Here is Canadian Tire - they should be pretty cheap.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/index.jsp

and the prices will be in Canadian dollars too!

We have Home Depot but I suspect the website might be in US dollars.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

dan1305 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 110 volts and 220 volts

Hiya Mate

All single phase electrics are 110VAC as used in the home etc. Personally I would'nt worry about bringing the tools with you.

They are cheap as chips here anyway.

goto http://www.homedepot.com

Its the same as B&Q in the UK. In actual fact I think they are part of the same group. Anyway it will give you an idea of price.

Cheers
Old Jun 8th 2003, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Dibbsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My wife & I moved to Calgary from the Uk 2 1/2 months ago & it broke my heart to sell all of my Electrical goods.

On a positive note, as dan says, electric & electronic goods are almost 1/2 the price they are in the UK.

If you have a modern PC, bring everything but the monitor. You can get a 110v power supply for about £15 & your PC will work fine.

I have replaced most of my power tools already & bought exactly the same DVD player I had in the Uk to replace the 240V one I practically had to give away. Good News, It was exactly the same price in Canadian Dollars as it cost in Pounds Sterling.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

We have 3 pc's

2 have seperate power cables to their monitors but mine gets its power from the back of the pc.

How was yours and does it matter ?

and

out of interest how did you move all your stuff out ?

container by sea or air frieght ?

many thanks

goatee
Old Jun 8th 2003, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Dibbsy is an unknown quantity at this point

goatee

The power supplies in the back of your PC's simply unbolt & it is a really simple job to put 110v ones in. Make sure that the power supply that is on your pC's at the moment are not Dual Voltage. They might just be & it is simply a case of pushing a switch & voila, your pC is 110V.

I haven't seen a dual voltage monitor so they will have to remain in dear old Blighty I'm afraid.

I sent my belongings by sea. The actual time at sea was 17 days, which is not bad, I think. They are currently between Montreal & Calgary and are due to arrive here in about a week. I have no idea as to the cost of sending your belongings by Air but I have been told that it costs approximately twice the price of sending your goods by sea.

We only moved to Canada at the end of March so if you think we can be of anymore help, please don't hesitate to drop me a line at the address in my profile

Dibbsy
Old Jun 8th 2003, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

't panic immediately on this one, please wait a bit until you can tell us a bit more as he can help quite a bit (pc tech support for 25 years).
email me....

Hi again. Don;

Originally posted by goatee
We have 3 pc's

2 have seperate power cables to their monitors but mine gets its power from the back of the pc.

How was yours and does it matter ?

and

out of interest how did you move all your stuff out ?

container by sea or air frieght ?

many thanks

goatee
Old Jun 13th 2003, 4:28 am
Just Joined

LNofTROY is an unknown quantity at this point

I am no expert, but when my inlaws from UK visits us, they bring their stuff, with an adapter for the 'plug' in the wall.
In the worst case scenario, bring your tools. If you really cannot make them work here, why dont you sell them on Ebay? that will help to pay a few immigration fees
Have a good day,
LN
Old Jun 17th 2003, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Hi,

It's not that difficult to get a 110volt step up/down transformer but with power tools I'd dump them and buy new. We've just come back from hols in the UK and brought an LG TV/VCR combo, ordered a transformer from a shop in Vancouver (should arrive anyday now) and bob's your uncle. Only problem is that UK stuff is 50Hz and Canada is 60Hz which may cause a problem with some electrical goods. The 'wired for 220' thing is that the house is wired for 220 amps - allows you to run more gutsy tools, kit out your workshop etc.....

Cheers - Steve

Originally posted by goatee
Can someone please tell me ..

1) Is the power 110 volts all across canada ?

2) Coming from the UK will I be able to run my 240v power tools ?

3) Are there transformers to do the above ?

4) Should I just sell everything I have and buy new ?

Also , we will be moving to saskatchewan and I have been looking at a number of homes for sale on the net that state 'wired 220 ' ? can anyone shed any light ?

many thanks

goatee
Old Jun 17th 2003, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

cheers steve

the 220 sounds great !

Goatee
Old Jun 17th 2003, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

yeah 220 amps sounds cool, we are only on 60amp at the moment since we moved into an older house, will be getting it changed soon though as house insurnace is much dearer at 60 amps!
Old Jun 20th 2003, 10:43 pm
ajs
Just Joined

ajs is an unknown quantity at this point

I am British moved from UK

You Can bring anything you want but you do need a STEP UP Transformer

Yes they do have 110/120 Volts and 220 Volts the later is for ranges/stoves (English Ovens/Cookers) the dryers here need 220 Volts also

BUT DO NOT USE THIS as a power source

I don't know if you are technical but they get their 220 volts by anti-phasing 2 110 Volt lines IT IS NOT THE SAME AS THE UK

So use a GOOD STEP UP transfomer

Second if you can bring your TV DVD VCR etc trust me you will appreciate them over time

Here it is NTSC most of them don't know what PAL is

Their TV's DO NOT WORK WITH PAL unlike the UK which has PAL 60 to allow for NTSC

Sorry I will stop now

PS if you bring a desktop PC be prepared for it not to work you will need to change over the power supply (does not apply to Laptops though)

Good luck

AJS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.