100 Jobs

Old Dec 19th 2012, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Aberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really nice
Default Re: 100 Jobs

It's tough for just about anyone looking for a job right now. I have tons of Canadian qualifications and experience, but I couldn't get an interview in my field (HR) after probably 100 applications - so I gave up even trying and decided to try something different.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
Then again the amount of racism around here towards anyone not white, or with a Canadian accent is rampant.
Really? I've spent some time in East/Central Ont and I can't say I've had any problems with having a different accent. Hopefully it will stay that way.
I also haven't witnessed any overt racism, but I have noticed this part of Ont to be overwhelmingly caucasian.

As for finding a job, yes it is extremely tough - even if you are in Canada. Blind applications in the usual way i.e. email cover letter/resume don't usually lead anywhere. As others have said, it really is a case of scouting different areas, picking up the phone and getting to know people. But try to stay upbeat and don't give up. Good luck!

Last edited by Jimbo2012; Dec 19th 2012 at 4:47 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davidsk
Maybe you can try some small cities like Halifax where some positions are not easy to be filled.
Ya think?
I mean, what you just said seems to make sense.

Alas, my experience is the same as the OP's - applying and not hearing anything - but I have also been networking like crazy...although this is a slow time of the year.

Finally (after 8 weeks here) I landed a commercial cleaning gig - $12/hr - on lateshift & backshift. It's work, it's full-time, it's regular and MOST IMPORTANTLY it will demonstrate to the next Canadian employer that I am what I say I am (reliable, conscientious etc) and that this has already been proven to the satisfaction of another CANADIAN employer.

Steppin' down and backwards from what you had - all part of the immigrant experience, eh?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IDT
You'd be surprised.

I worked for a Vancouver radio station for a year and that all went pretty well.

Radio is one of those industries where people are expected to have moved around quite a bit - particularly programme and marketing managers and air staff - that's how you gain your experience...you don't start off working in Vancouver or Toronto - you go through White Horse and Yellow Knife to Halifax and Saskatoon and then to the major markets...

I've never heard of people not getting a job because they aren't in the city to which their applying...
Didn't see this post earlier IDT. My point was that it seemed difficult to transition from UK commercial radio to Canadian commercial radio; but within Canada, I wouldn't see major issues in working in different city markets. Did you manage to work in Canadian radio on he back of UK experience? Just wondering.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:43 pm
IDT
Forum Regular

IDT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shard
Didn't see this post earlier IDT. My point was that it seemed difficult to transition from UK commercial radio to Canadian commercial radio; but within Canada, I wouldn't see major issues in working in different city markets. Did you manage to work in Canadian radio on he back of UK experience? Just wondering.
Yeah!

Right time right place as normal mind!

I always start with a paragraph about where I worked in Canada and my references are easy to see on my resume!

I just find the whole process bizarre!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

I'm glad you haven't experienced it.
Sorry for my last post, I was just talking to someone I'm going to have to deal with all the time with my new business who is very racist.
I have to admit I don't understand how you've never heard any racism, it's a daily occurrence for me. Even people I know, and get along with I have heard say things about "rag heads", Pakis, "brown" people, and "those asians". Not in a joking way.
I've had friends who haven't believed me about my experiences in Canada (or thought I was provoking it) till they've hung out with me for a bit. I just seem to attract it. No idea why, I'm not a big tough looking guy. I've never had it happen to me in any other country, I thought it might happen when I lived in the USA. Not once, just seems to be a Canadian thing.
My wife (who is Canadian), never really believe me till we were having a conversation outside of the Kingston library, and some nutter just starting swearing and spouting off about the English at me. Luckily unlike other times the person didn't decide it was worth beating me up over it.
I've never seen my wife speechless before.
As I said, I have also met some of the kindest, nicest people in the world here. As well as the love of my life.
(Someone asked after my accent) I guess I have a slight posh sounding accent, I went to boarding school for 5 years. I've lived in too many countries to have a distinct accent from anywhere really.

I've just never had such a hard time finding a job, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one though. Well not glad, but you know what I mean.
If it wasn't for having such a hard time finding a job I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now. Or what I'm planning to do in the future. So the future is bright!

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Really? I've spent some time in East/Central Ont and I can't say I've had any problems with having a different accent. Hopefully it will stay that way.
I also haven't witnessed any overt racism, but I have noticed this part of Ont to be overwhelmingly caucasian.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by IDT
I've applied for 100 jobs in Canada this year...of which I've never even been asked for an interview...

Seems odd despite having 13+ years experience in my field at a high level in the UK...

Anybody else had any similar experiences? How do you keep motivated?..

IDT
I know the feeling! I've been trying to get work in the oilsands and applying online seems to be a complete waste of time. Internet says don't turn up without a job, apply online only etc, yet they also say they are crying out for labour.

I currently am stuck in Toronto working a seasonal job. I can afford to go out there but only if I get a job at the end of it. Has anyone else been in this situation?

I am a DZ driver TDG, H2S awareness but have no eyes or ears on the ground in Fort McMurray. Can you turn up with a fist full of resumes and go door to door?

Getting a little fed up of chasing my own tail. Any advice from established workers who have made a successful move?
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:59 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Ya think?
I mean, what you just said seems to make sense.

Alas, my experience is the same as the OP's - applying and not hearing anything - but I have also been networking like crazy...although this is a slow time of the year.

Finally (after 8 weeks here) I landed a commercial cleaning gig - $12/hr - on lateshift & backshift. It's work, it's full-time, it's regular and MOST IMPORTANTLY it will demonstrate to the next Canadian employer that I am what I say I am (reliable, conscientious etc) and that this has already been proven to the satisfaction of another CANADIAN employer.

Steppin' down and backwards from what you had - all part of the immigrant experience, eh?
I agree with AdrianR. I was lucky as I managed to contact a company whilst still in the UK that had a tentative link to the one I worked in. That was the opening and meant I could send in my Resume. When I followed it up with a call 3 days later they were happy to chat to me because:
a, the boss is a nice friendly chatty guy
b, I had worked for Fender in the past and he was in a band.

They said they were happy to see me when we arrived 6 months later. We did meet up, there was no actual job but they liked me and decided they could use me and created a position. As an accountant, I brought some value to their organization but at less of a salary than I had originally hoped for (small company, risk for them as not a Canadian)
11 months down the line I then applied for another job through a recruitment company for a job in a much larger organization and got the job.

I had some Canadian experience, it was for a specialized role that I had some experience in (from the UK) and a recruiter was involved.

Theres some luck required in all this.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
I'm glad you haven't experienced it.
Sorry for my last post, I was just talking to someone I'm going to have to deal with all the time with my new business who is very racist.
I have to admit I don't understand how you've never heard any racism, it's a daily occurrence for me. Even people I know, and get along with I have heard say things about "rag heads", Pakis, "brown" people, and "those asians". Not in a joking way.
!
Well, I haven't been here that long so I haven't "mixed" that much yet. I would sadly mention that a lot of that sort of talk still goes on in the UK in certain circles. I'd hope that I wouldn't have to associate with people like that here (or anywhere).
The only slight annoyance I find is that people seem to think UK=England & England=UK but that is more out of ignorance than anything malicious.

Anyway, apologies for drifting the thread :-)
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy18913
Don't know if this will help but i thought id share my experience.

Last March (2011) when i decided it was time to try make the move ive wanted to do for a while so i sent out 25 CV's. i didn't get one reply not even any "No thanks". I was the same thinking why no interest at all.

I read many threads on these forums and saw that so many were saying how the job scene is different in Canada. Canadians prefer the face to face contact or verbal contact. So one Tuesday after being frustrated at not hearing anything i picked up the phone. i called the two biggest companies in the same industry im in here in UK.

The first guy was really nice. he explained he had no vacancies but to send my Resume and he knew others in the same industry he would pass it onto them. This gave me a lift and it was something positive. So i made the second call. This time was even better. This company had a position and we chatted for a while and he asked me if i could go see him. I went for the interview in July 2011. He offered me the job there and then. It blew me away. Sadly we got the LMO wrong and the refusal letter came through in Dec 2011. The company couldn't wait any longer. So i had to start again.

I used google and made a list of companies to call. In the last 18 months i have been to Canada 6 times. 5 of them to attend interviews. The last one being Sept this year and i was offered the job again. Once again there was an issue with the LMO but lucky for me the company are willing to try again and we are sending the second application next Tuesday. So im hoping a few months time i will be booking a one way flight.

A lot say its down to luck but i strongly believe you can make your own luck if you work for it.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions feel free to PM.

Andy.
Thanks Andy...good advice
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Canada since 2006, and the current job search has been around 10 months now, I get an interview every 2-3 months or so, comes to approx 1 interview per 200 resumes for me.