Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

1 year Masters degree in Canada

1 year Masters degree in Canada

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 year Masters degree in Canada

Originally Posted by Oink
I think you're right, training schools do put more stock in them as its mostly their terminal degree.
They're a waste of bloody time, as are the students they churn through the course - the courses are no different from the BSc in the UK, except there are more filler courses here, in order to bump up the university income. Much of it is 'political', as the professions try to ensure they have a secure science base in order to deem themselves more credible. However, occupations such as Occupational Therapy are part science, part art and not everything in the professional realm can be proven by science, esp when dealing with such a subjective base, i.e.. humans. The subject matter in journal articles coming out now is the same old rubbish from years ago, just rehashed and given different terminology to match the language of the moment. Doesn't change a damn thing when it comes to actual practice when faced with a real live patient!
Old Mar 30th 2016, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Hi,

I'm currently doing a 1 year, thesis based MA at Dalhousie (though reading some of these comments I wish I wasn't ) May be worth a look at their website if you are still interested.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 1:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maplease
Hi,

I'm currently doing a 1 year, thesis based MA at Dalhousie (though reading some of these comments I wish I wasn't ) May be worth a look at their website if you are still interested.
What's your area of study?
Old Mar 30th 2016, 1:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
They're a waste of bloody time, as are the students they churn through the course - the courses are no different from the BSc in the UK, except there are more filler courses here, in order to bump up the university income. Much of it is 'political', as the professions try to ensure they have a secure science base in order to deem themselves more credible. However, occupations such as Occupational Therapy are part science, part art and not everything in the professional realm can be proven by science, esp when dealing with such a subjective base, i.e.. humans. The subject matter in journal articles coming out now is the same old rubbish from years ago, just rehashed and given different terminology to match the language of the moment. Doesn't change a damn thing when it comes to actual practice when faced with a real live patient!
No matter how much theory they're taught in school it does't help them with wiping and old person's arse and changing soiled bed-sheet.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oink
What's your area of study?
Dystopian literature. I have always been cheery
Old Mar 30th 2016, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I always that thought that UK Bachelors (3 year) and Masters (1 year) are considered to be of short duration compared with qualifications in other countries. I just googled that briefly and this seems to be (still) the case.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 30th 2016 at 1:28 am.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:20 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maplease
Hi,

Thanks. I hadn't really thought about NS but I guess it could be worth a look.