Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

* Survey: 1st thing you found different? *

* Survey: 1st thing you found different? *

Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:45 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: * Survey: 1st thing you found different? *

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's no public drunkeness in Ontario, that's illegal.
I thought everything in Ontario was illegal??
Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I thought everything in Ontario was illegal??
Indeed.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

bart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SivoxII
WOW!!!! ... i'm not alone in my thoughts & observations.

Yup, i thought i was on another planet the day i decided to walk down to my wife's work. Every junction I stopped at, cars were waving me onto the road, was a very weird experience. Now that i'm a driver, i've got to watch out for anyone crossing the road at any given time.
I've never picked up on this but then again I've never driven over there and have only been to the big cities; do you live somewhere with quiet roads, hence the reason it's easier to wave people over junctions?
Old Apr 12th 2006, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bart2804
I've never picked up on this but then again I've never driven over there and have only been to the big cities; do you live somewhere with quiet roads, hence the reason it's easier to wave people over junctions?

Nope! ... i live in a city here in the Okanagan, BC.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 5:28 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Drivers encouraging you to cross the road is a BIG difference.

Also completely amazed that people leave their purses etc in their cars with the car doors unlocked go away and come back to find the car AND the contents still there. Had to lock our car at the petrol station in the UK in case someone stole it and if anything was left in the car all the windows would have been smashed in and the contents gone. Still not plucked up the courage to leave anything too valuable in the car.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 5:29 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing I noticed was that I suddenly became invisible. When purchasing large ticket items like houses, cars etc. I was always ignored by the salespeople, even though it was my cash buying the house and the vehicle was for me. The Honda guy actually said that a Civic was about all most women liked to handle....I nearly punched him.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 5:33 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
. The Honda guy actually said that a Civic was about all most women liked to handle....

I Like to do my 'Civic duty', so if any ladies wanna handle me.................
Old Apr 12th 2006, 5:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

"Stuck forever" ?
Old Apr 12th 2006, 5:44 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Stuck forever" ?
Long story. Will PM you if you really want to know. I have to decide between slitting my throat or slitting my throat, either way, the throat slitting will have to be in B.C. for now
Old Apr 12th 2006, 5:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dingbat
Long story. Will PM you if you really want to know. I have to decide between slitting my throat or slitting my throat, either way, the throat slitting will have to be in B.C. for now
I'd be interested to know, sure. I think I may be able to match this tale.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:00 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Crossing the road. It took me a while to get the hang of the idea that cars would actually stop for me. I'm still not fully comfortable with it. When I go to the UK these days, I find crossing the road quite scary.
I've had a few close calls. But what I hate are those 'LOOK RIGHT' and 'LOOK LEFT' signs in the pavements in London. They ***** me right up cos as soon as I read them, I have to hold my hands out infront of me, palms down, to figure out which way the index finger-thumb formation say 'L for left'.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:20 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't really remember the first thing I noticed (about the UK, as opposed to Canada - sorry!) but there is a thing that still makes me laugh out loud (daily!) and it's something other Canucks I know in the UK have noticed too. The little steamy vapours wafting up from the dog turds on the following signs. I don't know why, but this greatly amuses me.
Attached Thumbnails * Survey: 1st thing you found different? *-steamingpilesofdogshit.jpeg  
Old Apr 12th 2006, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Elhombre will become famous soon enoughElhombre will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SivoxII
.. when you arrived in Canada (from UK or wherever)

This will sound stupid, but for me, it was the width of the roads here in BC, i couldn't get over how wide they were (still are funnily enough)
Price per sq foot compared to London. I still can't believe how much space we have. Also, now that the weather is getting warmer the kids go out to play with their friends by themselves. That never happened in blighty.
H
Old Apr 12th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I can't really remember the first thing I noticed (about the UK, as opposed to Canada - sorry!) but there is a thing that still makes me laugh out loud (daily!) and it's something other Canucks I know in the UK have noticed too. The little steamy vapours wafting up from the dog turds on the following signs. I don't know why, but this greatly amuses me.

I think my wife can totally relate!! ... she HAD to get a picture of one of those signs, when we stayed at a Caravan Park on the Scottish Borders.

*must try & find the exact pic in question*
Old Apr 12th 2006, 11:39 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Something that would never happen in the UK unless you paid big money is that we bought a car from a dealer on Macleod Trail last week. We are living about a 10 minute drive from them. Because we didn't have anyway to get to the dealership he actually picked us up. After completing the formalities he asked where we needed to go next I asked him to drop us off at the local C- train station as we had to get to Shawnessy. He drove us all the way to Shawnessy!

Thats what you call service.

Best wishes. Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.