Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

********* website

********* website

Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:44 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all
Default Re: ********* website

Originally Posted by shelley748
My husband has a degree in MicroElectronics and Computing- he is not stupid- his profession right now and since we came to Canada? A handyman! What a waste!
Did he know that he wouldnt be able to find a job in his field before he came? was he misled?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:52 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748

If Canada doesn't want skilled immigrants , why do they allow them/us in? I thought the reason was because they were short of the right calibre of workers.

My husband has a degree in MicroElectronics and Computing- he is not stupid- his profession right now and since we came to Canada? A handyman! What a waste!
I agree, and its symptomatic of the way the process was set up for years and years to favour qualification types over the reality of the jobs that were actually out there. I think the new system will help a lot in that regard, if it can react fast enough. No help to your OH though.

How long have you been here now shelley? I take it he is (was) looking in the Ottawa tech corridor based on your location....not a lot of demand for computer bods in E Ontario otherwise as far as Im aware...just small scale stuff.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marclouis
Did he know that he wouldnt be able to find a job in his field before he came? was he misled?
No he didn't- he used to work for a high tech company in UK, which went belly up just before we came here- when we got here the Canadian one went the same way- then the High Tech Bubble burst, and with over 20,000 techies out of work in Ottawa alone, no one was going to employ him with no CDN work experience...

Sux big time, and then of course he was out of it too long to get back in.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I agree, and its symptomatic of the way the process was set up for years and years to favour qualification types over the reality of the jobs that were actually out there. I think the new system will help a lot in that regard, if it can react fast enough. No help to your OH though.

How long have you been here now shelley? I take it he is (was) looking in the Ottawa tech corridor based on your location....not a lot of demand for computer bods in E Ontario otherwise as far as Im aware...just small scale stuff.
Hi Iain
We have been here in Canada since 2002- he was looking at Ottawa because of the company he worked for in the UK.

We are both pretty fed up TBH, but trying to make the best of it.