Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

********* website

********* website

Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ********* website

Originally Posted by marclouis
this one must be the easist to disprove.
7. It is estimated that compared to most countries around the world, the cost of living in Canada is on average five times greater.
Compared to where?
To be fair, that's probably true: when I went to China a few years ago I spent about $80 in a week. 'Most countries' are poor, but wages there are also low, so the real cost of living is often higher for local people even if the cost of living in dollars is low.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:56 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
To be fair, that's probably true: when I went to China a few years ago I spent about $80 in a week. 'Most countries' are poor, but wages there are also low, so the real cost of living is often higher for local people even if the cost of living in dollars is low.
Most countries are poor? Another generalisation that is not correct. Certain locations within countries have high living costs but to say that a "country" is that way is not often the case.

Canada contains both high and low cost of living areas. England has London yet other areas are much much cheaper. Russia has some of the most expensive areas in the world to live, as does Japan, the US, France, Switzerland, Norway etc etc.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:00 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

five times? and he says most countries.

I have spent time in Turkey, Israel, France, Germany and Spain. while there is variation when I have pounds in my pocket, its not such a big difference.

And yes, when local salaries are taken into account, which is part the definition of "cost of living". i am sure china does not vary that much.

Last edited by marclouis; Mar 24th 2009 at 3:02 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Most countries are poor? Another generalisation that is not correct.
Are you seriously claiming that the vast majority of countries in the world are not poorer than Canada, and most of them very much poorer?

There's a whole world outside America and Europe: sure, there probably are a few dollar millionaires in Zimbabwe, but that makes no difference whatsoever to the average person's lifestyle there.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have spent time in Turkey, Israel, France, Germany and Spain. while there is variation when I have pounds in my pocket, its not such a big difference.
None of which are poor countries. The average daily wage on Earth is around $5, and even minimum wage in Canada is more than five times that.

And yes, when local salaries are taken into account, which is part the definition of "cost of living".
I've never seen 'cost of living' defined in that way.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Most countries are poor? Another generalisation that is not correct. Certain locations within countries have high living costs but to say that a "country" is that way is not often the case.

Canada contains both high and low cost of living areas. England has London yet other areas are much much cheaper. Russia has some of the most expensive areas in the world to live, as does Japan, the US, France, Switzerland, Norway etc etc.
Depends if you are judging by first world or third world standards. "British Expats" is going to say its not expensive, "N-C", which seems to be set up by people from the subcontinent, is going to say its expensive.

If you take the median global economy as a base, then canada is probably relatively expensive, but then wages are a lot higher here to compensate, so its an idiotic argument, like much on that site. People considering migration need to engage their brains and take a critical look at the information before them.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:29 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you seriously claiming that the vast majority of countries in the world are not poorer than Canada, and most of them very much poorer?
I mean exactly what i wrote. A country can contain both high and low cost areas. I would also argue that a vast majority of countries are not poorer than Canada. % of world population maybe, but countries? Vast is an extreme word in my opinion.

There's a whole world outside America and Europe: sure, there probably are a few dollar millionaires in Zimbabwe, but that makes no difference whatsoever to the average person's lifestyle there.
Since when has Russia & Japan as mentioned been Europe or America?

Cost of living is relative to the individual. For me, cost of living in Canada is cheap yet cost of living in Norway is expensive for example. For somebody from the slums of Mumbai the cost of living in Canada will be expensive as will living in India.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I mean exactly what i wrote. A country can contain both high and low cost areas. I would also argue that a vast majority of countries are not poorer than Canada. % of world population maybe, but countries? Vast is an extreme word in my opinion.

Since when has Russia & Japan as mentioned been Europe or America?

Cost of living is relative to the individual. For me, cost of living in Canada is cheap yet cost of living in Norway is expensive for example. For somebody from the slums of Mumbai the cost of living in Canada will be expensive as will living in India.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...rderguide.html

227 countries listed in the CIA world factbook.

Canada is 15th overall for GDP by purchasing power parity, and 21st for GDP per Capita. By any reasonable standards that it wealthier than "the vast majority", even without taking onto account that there is 8 times more wealth per person here in comparison to over half the countries on the list....
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:50 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by iaink
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...rderguide.html

227 countries listed in the CIA world factbook.

Canada is 15th overall for GDP by purchasing power parity, and 21st for GDP per Capita. By any reasonable standards that it wealthier than "the vast majority", even without taking onto account that there is 8 times more wealth per person here in comparison to over half the countries on the list....
Fair play, i'm happy to be proven wrong
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:25 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

I did not know his (NC) statements had any validity.
And yes, of course i was thinking of standard of living, not cost of living.

I still think he sounds like a miserable sh*t who wont take responsibility for his own lack of carrying out a little due diligence where it really was necessary.

Dont those guys coming from the sub continent have similar forums to this to share experiences?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:55 pm
Duke of Africa

bryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant future

I did not know his (NC) statements had any validity.
And yes, of course i was thinking of standard of living, not cost of living.

I still think he sounds like a miserable sh*t who wont take responsibility for his own lack of carrying out a little due diligence where it really was necessary.

Dont those guys coming from the sub continent have similar forums to this to share experiences?
Marclouis,

You sound very demeaning to whoever you are referring to as those "guys from the sub continent". Can we please cut it out and treat others with utmost respect irrespective of where they come from. I believe we all here are enlightened and hence should know better. Thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bryandavid
Marclouis,

You sound very demeaning to whoever you are referring to as those "guys from the sub continent". Can we please cut it out and treat others with utmost respect irrespective of where they come from. I believe we all here are enlightened and hence should know better. Thanks.
Browned off, are you?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:59 pm

Marclouis,

I am asking a serious question, i expect he did have resources available, as i am sure there are similar forums for "those guys", and he chose to ignore or not bother to look. I think you have misunderstood me, but i see why.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:03 pm

Marclouis,

also, i only used "sub continent" as it was quoted earlier, its not a term i have used before and wasnt sure what it meant, i have made the mistake of confusing pakistanis and indians before and didnt wish todo it again.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

There are experiences posted from "Europeans" as well, so don't make the mistake of assuming....

When you come as an immigrant to Canada- you expect things to be a little different and not to get the top job in any company.

What you don't expect though is to be treated like in some cases less than the scum on the bottom of someones shoe.

If Canada doesn't want skilled immigrants , why do they allow them/us in? I thought the reason was because they were short of the right calibre of workers.

My husband has a degree in MicroElectronics and Computing- he is not stupid- his profession right now and since we came to Canada? A handyman! What a waste!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.