Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

********* website

********* website

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:54 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ********* website

Originally Posted by shelley748
Well speaking from our family experience- I can tell you that we came across many obstacles when we first moved to Canada.

We also came across qualified doctors driving cabs in Ottawa, and when I was working at the bank, I had many clients who came from Europe, whose medical qualifications were not recognised, but if they had gone to the USA, they would have got a job straight away.

So some of what is on the site Not Canada is true!
Who hasn't. It's all part of moving to a new life. Happen we should hand out, million dollar homes, BMW's and holidays abroad.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Happen we should hand out, million dollar homes, BMW's and holidays abroad.
I done that. It's a routine part of the divorced immigrant story innit?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I done that. It's a routine part of the divorced immigrant story innit?
Too funny. Me too. Oh well, at least I have my health.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I believe it still is. It is not necessarily easy opportunity, and not opportunity that will fall into your lap (especially these days), but opportunity is there for people with the determination to make it happen.
Well said. I came to Canada a young man with a couple of cse's one o level, a back pack full of clothes, a thousand quid and a lot of enthusiasm. I took every advantage available to re-invent myself. I feel i owe a lot to Canada that gave me every opportunity, all i had to do was show up and knuckle down.

I have no sympathy for people who have an unrealistic sense of entitlement. Life, people, is what you make of it.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

spanners is an unknown quantity at this point

seems to me that those people that are up and down squeaking "its not fair" on not canada are mainly our corner shop brethren
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:02 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

can i just say i know someone in london studying for "the knowledge" and its harder work than my degree! so driving a taxi isnt as easy as you might think either!

i have always maintained that some people who go will come back, some will make it, same as here.

im sorry those people didnt have a nice experience in canada but i wont let that put us off going - maybe food for thought - but that is good thing. you dont want to do this stuff and under-think it!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spanners
seems to me that those people that are up and down squeaking "its not fair" on not canada are mainly our corner shop brethren
Koreans?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:52 pm

I took a look at the web site. All i see is a failure to have done any research with respect to their qualifications. They say they were mislead, i think more accurately they mislead themselves, expecting the key to the city when they landed.

I don't believe Canada is luring people from India and China to imprison them as cab drivers and telemarketers. One poster suggested that Canada had to lure 'slaves' since illegal Mexicans would'nt come due to the cold!

As with anything, you have to do your research, surely these immigrants could have learned before coming that they weren't qualified and could have looked elsewhere.

Give me a break!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:15 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I've read quite a few stories on that website. Many are off the cuff remarks from people venting but some are legitimate well balanced stories on why their immigration experience didn't work out. I don't think it all boils down to a failure to research and having the wrong attitude although that is important.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by jandro
I've read quite a few stories on that website. Many are off the cuff remarks from people venting but some are legitimate well balanced stories on why their immigration experience didn't work out. I don't think it all boils down to a failure to research and having the wrong attitude although that is important.
its well known that Canada has a protectionist attitude to transfer of credentials. One of the reasons why more Brits go to Oz is for this very reason. Happen there does need to be some middle ground but I believe that you are responsible for yourself.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:21 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness, i've just looked at the site in question

Whoever wrote the 8 reasons part is such an uneducated and/or inexperienced fool. I'm shocked!!!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:31 am

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Some pretty wild statements on his top eight reasons not to...

this one must be the easist to disprove.
7. It is estimated that compared to most countries around the world, the cost of living in Canada is on average five times greater.
Compared to where?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Tasel78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaah! That website scared me off Canada quite a bit!!!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:40 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tasel78
Aaah! That website scared me off Canada quite a bit!!!
What worried you, lots of it are outright lies?

I think what is true, his qualifications werent recognized, his quality of life suffered, but if he'd check these things out in advance, it wouldnt have been such a shock for him. And he wouldnt be blaming everyone else for his situation.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully anyone considering moving country is taking information from multiple sources and has the intelegence to sort the genuine concerns out from the bullshit?

Common sense has to apply at some level. Canada is not universally great, or universally lousy, so any site telling you either of those things needs to be treated with the skepticism it deserves.

As far as the ***s go, the reason for them is that site has a long history of bombarding BE with spammy posts to promote its own website...hence the filter.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 24th 2009 at 2:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.