Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

********* website

********* website

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:10 am
Duke of Africa

bryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant future
Default ********* website

Has anyone seen this website before? *********.c0m. Please type it in your web browser as www.*********.com. (Britishexpats blanks it out here. Why? ) I have had to use the figure zero instead of the letter o otherwise it will be blanked out. Please correct in your browser.

I know these are true stories but what do you think? Comments highly welcomed.

Last edited by Sue; Mar 22nd 2009 at 12:51 pm. Reason: Magic eraser, please do not try to get around filter. Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ********* website

Originally Posted by bryandavid
Treat it the same way you would a Michael Moore documentary.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

What about a ' notuk ' ?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that this site would put anyone off applying because each persons experience is different.

There are a fair number on BE that have returned home from Canada for various reasons and they come on here and tell us what has not worked for them.

I don't need to read the above site to help me to decide about whether to immigrate to Canada or not and I don't think anyone will take any notice of it unless they feel misled and bitter about their Canadian experience to THAT extent.

Everyone knows that in order to work in many fields one has to qualify to Canadian standards, so being a lawyer in England doesn't instantly qualify one to work in Canada, one would have to work through a period of study and pass exams. During this period of studying many will have to supplement their income by working in whatever jobs they can. The same with a doctor from Peru or a teacher from India, there are certain pre-requisites, and good research will obviate misconceptions.

So I think that this above site is over-sensualising negative subjective experiences without reasoned balance.

Janitors are quite well paid aren't they? I would do this if it meant I could afford to live where I wanted to live. When I took a career break I did cleaning jobs because it meant that I could work within school hours and keep my then baby daughter with me.......I am not moving to Canada under any illusion of working only in a certain field.....and in the current climate I'd be lucky to work in Starbucks!

If one does the research and goes with an open mind then one has a much better chance of success then going with certain expectations.

Just a few thoughts I've had on this topic.......
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know these stories are true? Is it because they're on the internet?

As a born and bred Canadian I can tell you that they are for the most part complete and utter bullcrap. They are the wildly imaginative ravings of a bunch of disillusioned failed expats.

Oh, and the filters are in place for a reason. Either the website in question has asked they not be discussed or the owners of this site have decided that it is not to be discussed.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:54 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen this website before? *********.c0m. Please type it in your web browser as www.*********.com. (Britishexpats blanks it out here. Why? ) I have had to use the figure zero instead of the letter o otherwise it will be blanked out. Please correct in your browser.

This website pops up on here from time to time. Clearly someone has a hugebeef with Canada to go to the lengths to set it up. Immigration doesn't work for everybody so you really have to do your homework.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How do you know these stories are true? Is it because they're on the internet?

As a born and bred Canadian I can tell you that they are for the most part complete and utter bullcrap. They are the wildly imaginative ravings of a bunch of disillusioned failed expats.

Oh, and the filters are in place for a reason. Either the website in question has asked they not be discussed or the owners of this site have decided that it is not to be discussed.
Does being a born and bred Canadian give you the right to dismiss people's bad experiences of immigration to Canada as bullcrap? How can you understand their problems of immigrating to Canada if you were born and bred there?

In Toronto you meet lots of highly qualified people driving taxi's, serving you in pizza pizza and sweeping streets. There is quite alot of truth to the website. Lots of families give up everything they have and move to Canada in the hope that the grass is greener and unfortunately due to barriers such as language and skin color etc... it does not work out as expected. They then are stuck in a myre because they can barely live day today which makes it hard for them to afford to return home.

Obviously the ********* website is an extreme view but watching it should be encouraged because as mentioned on this website time and time again Canada is not a utopia for everybody and it will mean that people really need to do their homework and understand what they are getting themselves into.

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 22nd 2009 at 11:19 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

The website in question is on our censor because it spams BE all the time.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
In Toronto you meet lots of highly qualified people driving taxi's, serving you in pizza pizza and sweeping streets.
I think that's a bit of myth. Most people one meets who are driving taxis and serving pizza have very limited English, thus they are not "highly qualified" to work in an English language occupation. iirc the ********* website is run by someone who has a mail order medical degree and who is miffed because he can't use it here. It's hard to care.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:04 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

In Toronto you meet lots of highly qualified people driving taxi's
According to my client advisor at the bank, who claims to have family and clients in the business, if you own a taxi licence in Vancouver you'll earn a lot more than you would as a PhD scientist. Of course, not all taxi drivers own their own plates.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Well speaking from our family experience- I can tell you that we came across many obstacles when we first moved to Canada.

We also came across qualified doctors driving cabs in Ottawa, and when I was working at the bank, I had many clients who came from Europe, whose medical qualifications were not recognised, but if they had gone to the USA, they would have got a job straight away.

So some of what is on the site Not Canada is true!

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
I don't think that this site would put anyone off applying because each persons experience is different.

There are a fair number on BE that have returned home from Canada for various reasons and they come on here and tell us what has not worked for them.

I don't need to read the above site to help me to decide about whether to immigrate to Canada or not and I don't think anyone will take any notice of it unless they feel misled and bitter about their Canadian experience to THAT extent.

Everyone knows that in order to work in many fields one has to qualify to Canadian standards, so being a lawyer in England doesn't instantly qualify one to work in Canada, one would have to work through a period of study and pass exams. During this period of studying many will have to supplement their income by working in whatever jobs they can. The same with a doctor from Peru or a teacher from India, there are certain pre-requisites, and good research will obviate misconceptions.

So I think that this above site is over-sensualising negative subjective experiences without reasoned balance.

Janitors are quite well paid aren't they? I would do this if it meant I could afford to live where I wanted to live. When I took a career break I did cleaning jobs because it meant that I could work within school hours and keep my then baby daughter with me.......I am not moving to Canada under any illusion of working only in a certain field.....and in the current climate I'd be lucky to work in Starbucks!

If one does the research and goes with an open mind then one has a much better chance of success then going with certain expectations.

Just a few thoughts I've had on this topic.......
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

............And the same could be said of some immigrants to the UK......I've met a cleaner from Ecuador who was an accountant back home but because of the lack of English.....is prepared to be a cleaner with english language tapes playing through on head phones.

The thing is, I expect to have to be flexible in what job I do in another country, english-speaking or not.... that is if I can even find a job. I just don't have any illusions that Canada, or any other country is the land of opportunity.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

............And the same could be said of some immigrants to the UK......I've met a cleaner from Ecuador who was an accountant back home but because of the lack of English.....is prepared to be a cleaner with english language tapes playing through on head phones.

The thing is, I expect to have to be flexible in what job I do in another country, english-speaking or not.... that is if I can even find a job. I just don't have any illusions that Canada, or any other country is the land of opportunity.
Highly over qualified taxi drivers are a thing of legend in immigration stories. I don't know how good or bad Canada is in this respect, but I know that the UK was not at all good at utilising the skills of refugees with medical skills (despite being very short of said skills) for example.

If you choose to emigrate you take a very large risk, if things don't work out that is your responsibility, no fault of the country where you choose to move. Granted there will always be things that are frustrating, or that could be done better, but in general that is to do with bureaucracy, which lets face it, is a pig the world over.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... I just don't have any illusions that Canada, or any other country is the land of opportunity.
I believe it still is. It is not necessarily easy opportunity, and not opportunity that will fall into your lap (especially these days), but opportunity is there for people with the determination to make it happen.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:44 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Recently did a research project for the goverment interviewing new immigrants to Canada.

This can be a tough place to come when you're a new immigrant - I spoke to plenty of smart people with good English who had degrees from countries that were only equivalent to a high school diploma. Not their fault if their country's education system has a bad reputation.

This country also has a heck of a lot of regulations - even from province to province.

Attitude matters a lot though - some people expect to get a good job here because they had one where they had come from and weren't prepared to step down at all.

As I've immigrated here and know what it is like to be a newcomer I find it hard to be too harsh on people having a tough time.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:50 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

This website pops up on here from time to time. Clearly someone has a hugebeef with Canada to go to the lengths to set it up. Immigration doesn't work for everybody so you really have to do your homework.

Does being a born and bred Canadian give you the right to dismiss people's bad experiences of immigration to Canada as bullcrap? How can you understand their problems of immigrating to Canada if you were born and bred there?

In Toronto you meet lots of highly qualified people driving taxi's, serving you in pizza pizza and sweeping streets. There is quite alot of truth to the website. Lots of families give up everything they have and move to Canada in the hope that the grass is greener and unfortunately due to barriers such as language and skin color etc... it does not work out as expected. They then are stuck in a myre because they can barely live day today which makes it hard for them to afford to return home.

Obviously the ********* website is an extreme view but watching it should be encouraged because as mentioned on this website time and time again Canada is not a utopia for everybody and it will mean that people really need to do their homework and understand what they are getting themselves into.
And then there are those of us who can't say enough great things about Canada. All a matter of perspective.

You really can't expect to go to a country and have everything handed to you on a plate. Can you? I've certainly been through ups and downs and have grafted to get where I am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.