Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$850k, 4 bed detached, Vancouver area

$850k, 4 bed detached, Vancouver area

Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:47 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of
Question $850k, 4 bed detached, Vancouver area

Hi all,

Property / area advice please.

In peoples opinion (who live / know the greater vancouver area), what would be your suggestion as the best place to live for that kind of money?

Is North Vancouver stretching things with that budget?
Is Maple Ridge too far to commute?
Is East Vancouver not that child friendly?
Are the best school catchments not within my budget?
etc

Basically, if someone out there lives in an area within my budget and has no complaints, please feel free to sing it's praises!

Looking for a child friendly neighborhood within a realistic 30/40 min commute of downtown Vancouver.

Many thanks as always,
Simon
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:19 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: $850k, 4 bed detached, Vancouver area

You could do that in North Vancouver. All the schools are good. (Check out the school district info at www.nvsd44.bc.ca).

There are some phenomenally family friendly areas (I live in one, my son has just dragged himself in from huckleberry picking with his friends and declared we live in a great kid area, but it needs more berries... )

North Vancouver has 5+ libraries, 4+ swimming pools, 5 ice rinks, two ski hills (Grouse and Seymour) forests, lots of trails (forested and urban) (there is a 8mb pdf to the City and Districts Trails here.. http://www.cnv.org/c//data/3/296/Par...uver%20Map.pdf)
and check out the number of Parks!!!

What else - beaches, waterfront walks/trails (which over the next few years is going to increase), and by 2011 the new National Maritime Centre.

Also, a friend did point out to me (as we were enjoying one of three open air concerts on Friday night) that because the North Shore is relatively unpopulated compared with the rest of the lower mainland - these concerts, beaches, walks, etc. tend to be uncrowded. Mind you, coming over from Britain everywhere is uncrowded!!

Clare

Last edited by ClareBC; Aug 11th 2008 at 7:22 pm. Reason: that map is huge!!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:21 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: $850k, 4 bed detached, Vancouver area

Oh, best give you a link to MLS listings for North Vancouver ..
http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=6571

Also, the signs are that prices are going to remain very steady for a while (if not drop a tad).
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:33 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ClareBC

Also, the signs are that prices are going to remain very steady for a while (if not drop a tad).
That's great news, thanks Clare.

Just need to wait about 8 years to get my SW Visa (if at all)...

Thanks again, really helpful.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:33 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

North Van is a small slice of heaven.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:38 pm
Loving it here!

Originally Posted by Londonuck
North Van is a small slice of heaven.
I think so!!
BTW: if I managed to put the piccie in ok, that was a snap from Wednesday's walk in Seymour Demonstration forest
Attached Thumbnails 0k, 4 bed detached, Vancouver area-p8060024.jpg  
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

wow, you dont get much for your money in North Van do you? Especially when they consider $650000 a starter home!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:40 pm
Loving it here!

Originally Posted by Hammy1976
That's great news, thanks Clare.

Just need to wait about 8 years to get my SW Visa (if at all)...

Thanks again, really helpful.
Ok, not been on the board recently so don't know your history, but have you looked at getting a work permit, or going via the Provincial Nominee Program or (if you are young enough) via BUNAC?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:47 pm
passport photo

Ok, not been on the board recently so don't know your history, but have you looked at getting a work permit, or going via the Provincial Nominee Program or (if you are young enough) via BUNAC?
I've just joined recently.

Basically, submitted my SW PR visa a few weeks ago, didn't fully appreciate how long this might take, especially given the freezing of applications post Feb'08!

I'm going to try my hardest to secure a role working in Finance and previous experience all appear on the NOC "occupations under pressure" list for BC.

Any advice greatly appreciated, total newby to be honest.

I'm 32, married and have a girl (4) and boy (1), if that helps at all!

Many thanks,
Simon