Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$58k or under = assisted housing in Calgary

$58k or under = assisted housing in Calgary

Old May 4th 2007, 2:04 am
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of
Question $58k or under = assisted housing in Calgary

Apparently a joint income of $58k or less per household in Calgary qualifies you for assisted housing? Or have I misheard?
C
Old May 4th 2007, 4:27 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $58k or under = assisted housing in Calgary

I thought it was $28k.
Old May 4th 2007, 4:44 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Or that might be BC. I dunno. Just something I saw advertised on the bus.
Old May 4th 2007, 5:03 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

According to this website, Calgary Housing Company provides the following subsidised rental units:
1-Bedroom units to households with combined gross income of $27,000

2-Bedroom units to households with combined gross income of $33,500

3-Bedroom units to households with combined gross income of $38,500

4-Bedroom units to households with combined gross income of $43,500
I assume the units also are allocated on the basis of family size. That is, I'm guessing that a childles couple would not be allocated a 4-bedroom unit. However, the web page does not fully explain the basis on which units are allocated.

The website states that low income families are charged a rent amounting to 30% of their total combined family income.

The same website states that in 2003 the waiting list for Community Housing varied from 2,300 to 2,500 applicants. One can only imagine what the waiting list is in 2007.

I do know that half of the people who sleep in Calgary's homeless shelters are employed. They just don't earn enough to be able to pay for Calgary's expensive accommodation. Subsidised housing exists in theory but, with such long waiting lists, many low income people cannot access it.

I also know that there are families with children who sleep in Calgary's homeless shelters.

By the way, I responded to what I thought was the intended meaning of your question, namely, the income level at which people become eligible for subsidised housing. In fact the term "assisted housing" refers to the care that infirm (often elderly) people receive in nursing homes. That is, meals are prepared for them, and they receive assistance with bathing, dressing, etc. That is an entirely different issue from subidised housing for low income people of working age. In the case of senior citizens, however, there also is a shortage of affordable nursing home spaces.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; May 4th 2007 at 5:29 am. Reason: Clarification re assisted housing.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:47 pm

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies. I posted this to try and get a baseline figure for the people who ask, how much do I need to live on in Canada/Calgary? Judy's reply, (comprehensive as usual Judy) , should help.
C
Old May 4th 2007, 3:14 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt
Thanks for the replies. I posted this to try and get a baseline figure for the people who ask, how much do I need to live on in Canada/Calgary? Judy's reply, (comprehensive as usual Judy) , should help.
C
Well if that was your agenda in asking the question, you may be interested to know that the cut off point at which a family with children does not have to pay Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) premiums is a combined family income of $32,210.

However, I would not use either of these figures as a benchmark for the income that I needed in order to have what I would consider to be a reasonable standard of living. That is, I would not use the eligibility for subsidised housing, and neither would I use the AHCIP exemption threshold. Alberta is Canada's most conservative province, and the bar for social assistance is set pretty low here.

In case I run afoul of Butch Cassidy, I will refrain from stating what I think is the minimum income to enjoy a reasonable standard of living. I will just say that it is not what the City of Calgary or the Province of Alberta consider to be the poverty line.
Old May 4th 2007, 4:08 pm

Fair enough, can't argue with that Judy.
C