Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$4500/yr car insurance with three star?

$4500/yr car insurance with three star?

Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $4500/yr car insurance with three star?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I see nobody has commented on why the rates are so high in the GTA area
This is what happens when you live in the centre of the universe
Rates in Canada are high compared with markets such as the US and the UK because the people drive badly and are litigious. They're higher in the GTA than in the rest of Ontario because there are more people and vehicles in the GTA. Other Canadian markets are not comparable because they're government monopolies, e.g. BC, very tightly regulated, e.g. AB, or no one lives there anyway, e.g. SK.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 20th 2012 at 12:51 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:52 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Wacky Races springs to mind (have to be of a certain age to remember Wacky Races) thats the only way to describe driving in the GTA. Plus the fact that there are deaths every week on the highways in SW Ontario which might have something to do with the astronomical costs.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Because its in Ontario?

Im not in the GTA, and my insurance is still a total rip off if you ask me.

My (limitied) understanding is a lot of the expense is due to government imposed legislation.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you but it must be a total shock to some on those initial quotes if going to the GTA area. Im not saying the Govt rates get you better insurance but their rates are somewhat lower or at least palatable.
I know when I lived in Ontario they accepted my years of NCB from the UK.
I guess the OP just needs to keep phoning around.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Someone want to give the OP the name of an individual broker at Johnsons (or whoever) that they had had some joy with the NCB thing? Could just be they are dealing with someone who hasnt dealt with this before?
Amy McDonald 709-737-5934

[email protected]
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Im not in the GTA, and my insurance is still a total rip off if you ask me.
Compared with what though? Car insurance isn't a very profitable line of business for the underwriting companies, it's cash flow and attracts better business (houses, boats, small commercial) from auto policyholders (at least satisfied ones, ones who've never tried to claim) but it's not a rip off in the sense that telephones or electricity are in Canada; car insurance isn't a monopoly or duopoly and the providers don't make fantastic profits.

If we look at ON vs. OH or MA, States generally considered similar to ON in other respects, we see that car insurance is cheaper there (75% cheaper for a selection of risks, last time I compared) and we can see that that's because Americans crash less often and sue each other less frequently and less expensively. If Ontarians want to crash into each other constantly and if they wish to sustain a commerically sucessfully legal sector then they'll have to cough up.

I think the government could help but the measures are long terms ones;

- either get rid of those stupid daytime running lights so the public get the idea of using a light switch and light up the back of the car at night or mandate that all lights be on all the time

- eliminate the concept of freewill in lane choice, introduce American style lane discipline (German being too much of a leap all at once)

- teach people that those lights on the corners of the car are designed to be used to convey the intent to do something, future intent.

They're not going to happen so, pay up. At least there's no stigma in bashing into cars here, one can, with impunity, park as if one owned an SUV.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 20th 2012 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Compared with what though? Car insurance isn't a very profitable line of business for the underwriting companies
Compared to other places obviously.

Are the business limitations any different elsewhere? I dont subscribe to the idea that canadian drivers are significantly worse than anywhere else, or are more litigious, or that driving conditions here are worse than say upstate NY or Minnesota.

Someone somewhere is taking the piss is my suspicion.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Compared to other places obviously.

Are the business limitations any different elsewhere? I dont subscribe to the idea that canadian drivers are significantly worse than anywhere else, or are more litigious, or that driving conditions here are worse than say upstate NY or Minnesota.

Someone somewhere is taking the piss is my suspicion.
Business limitations are very different across Canada, if that's what you mean. Legislative differences make it hard to compare different markets within Canada while ON is a lot like OH or MA.

Driving conditions are better in upstate NY in terms of multiple vehicle collisions becausse it's sparsely populated. Minnesota, off da, is culturally European, all those prudent Lutherans from cold countries know what they're doing at the wheel.

Canadians crash more, or rather, people living in Canada, crash more. If we wanted to know why I think we'd have to look at their experiences in the countries where they learned to drive. That's a bit pointless though, the driving's like the weather, it's just a feature of being here.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33

Canadians crash more, or rather, people living in Canada, crash more. If we wanted to know why I think we'd have to look at their experiences in the countries where they learned to drive. That's a bit pointless though, the driving's like the weather, it's just a feature of being here.
So what you are saying is people coming from the UK should cost LESS to insure, right

Seems that is not the case, so your argument might be flawed...

Is the accident rate higher in Canada, has anyone shown that? Or are we just charged more for insurance regardless, cos we can be.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillyd65
Stephenson and Hunt, London, Ontario. We pay $1200 for a Mazda Tribute 4 x 4 2litre manual. Moved over August 2011. They asked for verification from UK insurer re no claims Must point out that original quote from them was $2700 but we put the Mazda under the business (OH is self employed) and we have house contents insurance and public liability insurance with them and we did our temp 3 months medical insurance with them as well so the price dropped somewhat.
Ok I got in touch with Stevenson & Hunt, London, Ontario. They said YES we'll take her UK driving experience into account!! Whoohoo !! Then they produced a quote for... wait for it... $6534 per year !!

Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are saying is people coming from the UK should cost LESS to insure, right

Seems that is not the case, so your argument might be flawed...

Is the accident rate higher in Canada, has anyone shown that? Or are we just charged more for insurance regardless, cos we can be.
I think it might be just a case of insurance companies being able to charge high prices for Ontario drives and in particular those in the GTA.
You either pay or take transit.
Im assuming that the industry has been looked at in Ontario and has been found to be not deemed to be gouging customers so therefore legal to charge those rates.
I will be nice and not say Suck it up Ontarians
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Ok I got in touch with Stevenson & Hunt, London, Ontario. They said YES we'll take her UK driving experience into account!! Whoohoo !! Then they produced a quote for... wait for it... $6534 per year !!

see thread #35.... $1,200 plus $360 for home contents.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666

She's got no claims history, or convictions or tickets or anything? Something is odd about this...

Try the broker C-C posted details for I guess?

Last edited by iaink; Jan 20th 2012 at 2:21 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Is the accident rate higher in Canada, has anyone shown that?
I believe I showed that last time around this topic. Will have a hunt.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

She's got no claims history, or convictions or tickets or anything? Something is odd about this...

Try the broke C-C posted details for I guess?
Like I said before, 35 yo female, veterinarian, licenced since 1995, on company car insurance since 2002, on her own insurance since 2007, completely spotless history. Last car insurance renewal in the UK was £250 PER YEAR fully comp !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.