Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$37,000 in Montreal??

$37,000 in Montreal??

Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

emmavicjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $37,000 in Montreal??

Hi I am moving to Montreal this spring for a post-doc and have been offered a salary of $37,000. I also get a Quebec province tax exemption on this. Could anyone tell me whether this will be a comfortable amount to live on, bearing in mind I am single, will probably live in a shared apartment (rented) and don't plan to buy/run a vehicle? Thanks!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all
Default Re: $37,000 in Montreal??

Originally Posted by emmavicjones
Hi I am moving to Montreal this spring for a post-doc and have been offered a salary of $37,000. I also get a Quebec province tax exemption on this. Could anyone tell me whether this will be a comfortable amount to live on, bearing in mind I am single, will probably live in a shared apartment (rented) and don't plan to buy/run a vehicle? Thanks!
That's the starting salary for a first year post-doc and it's enough to live off here. You can rent an apartment Downtown for around $600/month. Be aware that there are few furnished places to rent so you may have to factor in buying furniture. Most things are quite a bit cheaper here. Utilities and eating out are way cheaper here (except for the alcohol which is about the same). I estimated that although you get a little more in the UK as a post-doc, you have a better standard of life here as most things are cheaper in comparison. However, all things European appear to be about 1.5-2 times what they are in the UK especially with the current exchange rate. Also you have you pay for banking services here, incoming calls on mobiles (unless you have a contract), and health/dental insurance.
Good luck!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Proo for the useful advice - it's true that when you compare salaries like for like they are quite a bit higher in the UK, so it is good to hear that things are less expensive even when you are earning $s. And I'll be working for McGill, which provide health/dental insurance.

Originally Posted by proo
That's the starting salary for a first year post-doc and it's enough to live off here. You can rent an apartment Downtown for around $600/month. Be aware that there are few furnished places to rent so you may have to factor in buying furniture. Most things are quite a bit cheaper here. Utilities and eating out are way cheaper here (except for the alcohol which is about the same). I estimated that although you get a little more in the UK as a post-doc, you have a better standard of life here as most things are cheaper in comparison. However, all things European appear to be about 1.5-2 times what they are in the UK especially with the current exchange rate. Also you have you pay for banking services here, incoming calls on mobiles (unless you have a contract), and health/dental insurance.
Good luck!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

Thanks Proo for the useful advice - it's true that when you compare salaries like for like they are quite a bit higher in the UK, so it is good to hear that things are less expensive even when you are earning $s. And I'll be working for McGill, which provide health/dental insurance.
My wife came over in June last year, started working in August on ...
$37000 by the time I arrived she was living in Montreal in her own place
albeit a studio flat quite ok on that kind of money. Lets just say a lot
of people make do with a lot less money than that.

Good luck btw, Montreals a great place to live.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

hi John,
could you give me any advice as to which areas of Montreal are nice to live in? I would be looking to rent and preferably not have a long commute (I'll be working at the General Hospital ) thanks! emma

Originally Posted by johnehsmith
My wife came over in June last year, started working in August on ...
$37000 by the time I arrived she was living in Montreal in her own place
albeit a studio flat quite ok on that kind of money. Lets just say a lot
of people make do with a lot less money than that.

Good luck btw, Montreals a great place to live.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

hi John,
could you give me any advice as to which areas of Montreal are nice to live in? I would be looking to rent and preferably not have a long commute (I'll be working at the General Hospital ) thanks! emma
Sure, theres not that many 'bad' areas really, and of course its all about
weighing affordability against pleasantness.

Hochelaga's a bit iffy, and i dont really like Laval or Verdun.

Wheres the general hospital?

email me at [email protected] if you need to know any more.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

hi John,
Around Concordia is very close to the hospital I think. Lots of students also live in the ghetto area. Both are downtown so close to the main high street (St Catherine). Nicer areas to live which are close by are Westmount (posh residential area), the Plateau (bit like Soho in London) and Old Montreal. These areas are much more pricer than around Concordia and the ghetto and it depends what you want. You could also check out places along the green metro line (monthly pass was $63 last time I looked). You could live in an apart-hotel for a couple of weeks initially and check out which areas you prefer first.
Good luck