Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$3600 per month enough for a Family & 3 Kids??

$3600 per month enough for a Family & 3 Kids??

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Jackson 5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question $3600 per month enough for a Family & 3 Kids??

Hi @ all,

I have been offered a job in Brampton Ontario. They have offered me $65000 a year which would be about $3600 after Tax a month.

the question I have is would that be enough for a Family (3 Kids 10,7,3) to live on.

THANKS

ANDREW
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $3600 per month enough for a Family & 3 Kids??

Originally Posted by Jackson 5
Hi @ all,

I have been offered a job in Brampton Ontario. They have offered me $65000 a year which would be about $3600 after Tax a month.

the question I have is would that be enough for a Family (3 Kids 10,7,3) to live on.

THANKS

ANDREW
This is a difficult one to answer, will you have a mortgage? More than 1 car? Will you want to live in city? Rural? And the list goes on and on.
There's a recent thread from someone else which might answer some of your questions.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+living+family
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:19 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Yes, you can live on it, quite comfortably, but a lot will depend upon your personal spending habits.

Cigarettes will be hard on the budget, you won't be eating out every night, and a lot will depend upon your cost of accommodation.???

$1,500 to about $1,800 a month will be what it will cost to RENT a 4 bedroom in Brampton.

Most families whose spouse was earning $65k a year would have the other working, even if it was part time and brought in an extra $20k or so.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:56 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi @ all,

THANKS

ANDREW
Depending on your circumstances (size of mortgage, number of cars to run etc) it would probably be okay but you wouldn't have much spare. Could you try asking for more? It might not be their final offer. Now is proably the time to negotiate rather than after you start work for them.

Also, depends on what your objectives are. Do you need a job to speed-up your immigration? If so take it and worry about finding something better-paid once you are here.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Yes, you can live on it, quite comfortably, but a lot will depend upon your personal spending habits.

Cigarettes will be hard on the budget, you won't be eating out every night, and a lot will depend upon your cost of accommodation.???

$1,500 to about $1,800 a month will be what it will cost to RENT a 4 bedroom in Brampton.

Most families whose spouse was earning $65k a year would have the other working, even if it was part time and brought in an extra $20k or so.
Assuming the poster can get to work by transit or feet (a big if)

Rent - $1600
Utilities - $400
Car - $500
Food - $700

leaves $300 for everything else. They'd have to be desperately poor where they are now before that would be a better option.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi @ all,

THANKS

ANDREW
Tight methinks. I live in a much cheaper area than that on a similar amount with 2 kids, and we have next to nothing left at the end of the month living a not extravagant lifestyle, low mortgage ($800 including property taxes), no car payments, and without the horrible newcomers insurance premiums.

Even mortgage free it would be tricky for you.

If your partner worked and you could minimise child care expenses it might be more pleasant.But figure out what it will cost in child care before hand, it might not be worth much after all.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 22nd 2007 at 1:32 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about re-creating your showbiz career? You made a load of money in the 70's.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:34 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Hi @ all,

THANKS

ANDREW
hi...we have lived here before and have come back and have experienced cost of living here..we are in kanata...with all costs inc insurances,misc,taxes,food,no mortgage,all the small stuff like hols etc we think we need $4000 - $4500 per month....you tend to forget the small stuff like car repairs,petrol,phoes,tv etc....life is not cheap here
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Have you thought about re-creating your showbiz career? You made a load of money in the 70's.
Pardon my digression but your new avatar seems to depict a person laying on a bed and another person with one arm extended toward, perhaps into, the bum of the first. Is it somehow a metaphor for the process of emigration and, if so, how?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by howardk
hi...we have lived here before and have come back and have experienced cost of living here..we are in kanata...with all costs inc insurances,misc,taxes,food,no mortgage,all the small stuff like hols etc we think we need $4000 - $4500 per month....you tend to forget the small stuff like car repairs,petrol,phoes,tv etc....life is not cheap here
Hi Howard, you're living there already??
Oops, shouldn't do this hijacking.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:45 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Pardon my digression but your new avatar seems to depict a person laying on a bed and another person with one arm extended toward, perhaps into, the bum of the first. Is it somehow a metaphor for the process of emigration and, if so, how?
yes, isn't there a rule against nude body parts?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by NSpaul
yes, isn't there a rule against nude body parts?
I wasn't sanctioned for posting a naked picture of myself so, no, I don't think so.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hmm, your suggestion of the picture as a metaphor for emigration is very perceptive. "Nu couche avec Picasso assis a ses pieds" by Picasso 1902-03
Not sure of the exact translation but something like "naked one lying on the bed with Picasso sitting", very bad translation probably but it's the closest I can get.
The immigrant desires to 'enter' the woman (Canada), but hasn't been given his visa yet so he sits on the side of the bed and strokes her in anticipation.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Hmm, your suggestion of the picture as a metaphor for emigration is very perceptive. "Nu couche avec Picasso assis a ses pieds" by Picasso 1902-03
Not sure of the exact translation but something like "naked one lying on the bed with Picasso sitting", very bad translation probably but it's the closest I can get.
The immigrant desires to 'enter' the woman (Canada), but hasn't been given his visa yet so he sits on the side of the bed and strokes her in anticipation.
I thought as much, the saying "it is easier for a cubist to pass through the eye of the buttocks than for the aspiring pilgrim to enter the kingdom of the Harpretic" sprang instantly to mind.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:08 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Very Freudian - how long have you been feeling like this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.