British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   $3000-3500 what car? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/%243000-3500-what-car-811611/)

Shard Oct 11th 2013 9:52 pm

Re: $3000-3500 what car?

Originally Posted by sanjuk (Post 10940749)
I can't adjust to Manuel, changing gears with the right hand feels wrong.

About ten minutes for it to become second nature.
As Novo said, pedals would be a different story.

Having said that, for the kind of driving that is done in most of Canada, automatic is the better option.

Novocastrian Oct 11th 2013 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10940772)
About ten minutes for it to become second nature.
As Novo said, pedals would be a different story.

Having said that, for the kind of driving that is done in most of Canada, automatic is the better option.

I disagree (well, I would, wouldn't I? ;)). I think the prevalence of automatics in Canada and the US contributes significantly to the low standards of driving ability and safe driving here.

jimf Oct 11th 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10940781)
I disagree (well, I would, wouldn't I? ;)). I think the prevalence of automatics in Canada and the US contributes significantly to the low standards of driving ability and safe driving here.

I'd agree with that - a manual forces the driver to be a bit more involved in the driving. That said I've become quite lazy and would go for an auto again.

Shard Oct 11th 2013 10:35 pm

Manuals do keep one a bit more alert behind the wheel, I agree with that. It's just a bit unnecessary when most of the roads are straight as an arrow and fairly wide. There's a completely different ethos to driving in NA compared to Europe. Less traffic "flow" and, compared to Britain, far less co-operation between drivers. I recall watching a video for a new roundabout in Alberta, and the official advice seemed to be, approach the roundabout as you would a 4-way stop?!

Piff Poff Oct 12th 2013 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10940755)
Interesting. I've driven LHD manuals for more total years than RHD manuals and driven both on the "wrong" side of the road in different countries.

Which hand is on the gear shift has never bothered me, although I bet I'd have a problem if the pedals were mirror-imaged. :)

Completely agree, have done the same.

Novocastrian Oct 12th 2013 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10940821)
Manuals do keep one a bit more alert behind the wheel, I agree with that. It's just a bit unnecessary when most of the roads are straight as an arrow and fairly wide. There's a completely different ethos to driving in NA compared to Europe. Less traffic "flow" and, compared to Britain, far less co-operation between drivers. I recall watching a video for a new roundabout in Alberta, and the official advice seemed to be, approach the roundabout as you would a 4-way stop?!

I don't see why. If you're driving long distances on quiet, flat highways you don't change gears much anyway.

But if you're driving in city traffic (which admittedly is not most of Canada, but certainly applies to most Canadians) it's quite different.

Funny thing that I've just thought of (again): I have the usual cruise control feature on my present car, as on all the others I've had in Canada, but I've never, ever, used it in Canada.

Back in the day, driving an automatic from say, Los Angeles to the Grand Canyon, I'd turn it on, but just because I wanted to concentrate on the 8 track and of course the 6 pack as I went along.

Aviator Oct 12th 2013 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10940821)
Manuals do keep one a bit more alert behind the wheel, I agree with that. It's just a bit unnecessary when most of the roads are straight as an arrow and fairly wide.

However you have far more control of the vehicle in adverse weather condition with a standard vs automatic. Off road, a standard is far superior.

Standard or auto, when driving on straight and wide roads makes no difference, you are not changing gear.

Cost of running is slightly less as well. I find brakes don't last as long on an auto. Just changed my truck brakes (standard) at 105,000km, the auto truck brakes lasted around 65k and burns 15% more fuel.

Shard Oct 12th 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10940935)
I don't see why. If you're driving long distances on quiet, flat highways you don't change gears much anyway.

But if you're driving in city traffic (which admittedly is not most of Canada, but certainly applies to most Canadians) it's quite different.

Funny thing that I've just thought of (again): I have the usual cruise control feature on my present car, as on all the others I've had in Canada, but I've never, ever, used it in Canada.

Back in the day, driving an automatic from say, Los Angeles to the Grand Canyon, I'd turn it on, but just because I wanted to concentrate on the 8 track and of course the 6 pack as I went along.

Back in the day, eh! :blink:

The whole point about long straight stretches is that they predominate in North America, but are less common in Europe. Since you don't change gears (much) there is no need for manual control. In Europe, unless you're on the motorway, you won't be driving too many minutes before you hit a roundabout, a town, a village, a windy road or even, god forbid, a traffic light. North American driving is more stop/start coast, although as Aviator points out, a manual can be better in the snow.