Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

$3000-3500 what car?

$3000-3500 what car?

Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $3000-3500 what car?

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
How do people manage to get a brand new car on monthly payments when new immigrants though? Surely you need stellar credit rating? and as a newcomer you would not have one?

We will also be in Markham and looking for a car so I've been reading this thread with interest.
In my case it required a large security deposit, but that was many years ago now.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Total overkill IMO. The GTA winter is far from insane, sure its not the UK, but its not Yellowknife either.

After doing the lease thing in the past its a bit of a mugs game to be honest. OK to get more car than you can really afford, but hard to negotiate a good deal, and its a treadmill that its hard to get off as you always have a payment and always need full insurance coverage which will be as much every month as your payment.
If you're actually using the car for work (beyond commuting) there is some rationale to it. Reliability, comfort, etc, but otherwise yes it is an invitation to over-consume.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
If you're actually using the car for work (beyond commuting) there is some rationale to it. Reliability, comfort, etc, but otherwise yes it is an invitation to over-consume.
I don't see this at all. If you need a vehicle for a finite purpose, to do some set of errands that are the same every year, then I think leasing is a good approach. It provides a reliable means of getting the job done for a known cost. I'd be concerned though that with a new job there's no way of knowing what mileage might be needed, leases start at 12,500 miles a year, probably not enough.

Iaink's point about not needing to insure a car (for collision) you own is a good one if you've sufficient funds to be able to lose the value of the car in one hit but for most people, those who need the car to get to work, insurance is prudent.

I completely agree that a CRV is a bit silly for the usage imagined. There's no need for ground clearance in Markham, there's no need for four wheel drive in Markham and the CRV is, even in the eyes of happy owners, boring by the standards of a brand that sells as "dull but reliable".
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Iaink's point about not needing to insure a car (for collision) you own is a good one if you've sufficient funds to be able to lose the value of the car in one hit but for most people, those who need the car to get to work, insurance is prudent.
Is insurance not a legal requirement?
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
Is insurance not a legal requirement?
Not for collision, no, the equivalent of collision cover is called comprehensive in the UK. Iaink is suggesting that, on an old car, one can have the equivalent of a third party only or third party, fire and theft policy. That might save 40% of the premium. A leased car must be insured for collision.

I don't know if any insurance is an absolute requirement in Ontario, it may be that there's an equivalent of the UK option to self-insure but that's a bit obscure and not relevant to most of us. I do know that about a third of the cars in Ontario are driven without insurance, it's routine for the police to bust people for speeding and add "no insurance" as a secondary offence.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 4:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Besides, its kind of a big leap to go from fronting $3 to 3.5k to buy a "beater" vehicle, to being on the hook for near $16500 after tax over 3 years to lease even a base spec 2WD CRV, after which you have nothing to show but the bill for another $800 to replace the worn tires at the end of the lease.

Especially with a 3 month probation period and the generally fickle nature of canadian employers.

I'd stick with plan A, although its hypocritical as the first thing I did when I got here was lease a Jeep. I'm older and maybe wiser now.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

sanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of light

Well I didn't like the crv at all, ended up with a civic sedan which arrives next week. 5k deposit was all that was needed to get it leased.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

A CRV is great if you:

a) have a large and frequently wet and muddy dog,
b) need to carry stuff around every now and again,
c) occassionally drive on unpaved mountain roads,
d) don't like paying repair bills,
e) don't want to drive too fast.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:55 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Civics are nice in their class imo, congrats.

Pete
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by sanjuk
Well I didn't like the crv at all, ended up with a civic sedan which arrives next week. 5k deposit was all that was needed to get it leased.
Enjoy, and pay for the heated seats (its a dealer option if your trim level doesnt have them)

Just remember, on a lease you are on the hook for tire wear, chipped windscreens and any dings when it has to go back. (Unless you choose to buy it, in which case you will probably overpay for a used Civic as they jack up the residual value to make the lease payment attractive to shift product and keep you coming back to the dealer every 3 or 4 years)

They do retain their value well, which makes a relatively cheap used recent model year one hard to find. Lack of used bargains and the knowledge that age rather than miles are the enemy here due to rust are why we are buying our 2012 instead of leasing.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 11th 2013 at 3:12 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy, and pay for the heated seats (its a dealer option if your trim level doesnt have them)
Sound advice!
Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

sanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of lightsanjuk is a glorious beacon of light

With the deposit ,I got the touring trim (1 lower then the Si) and they chucked in free remote start

Also got better when I went to do car insurance with TD. Since my relatives have max unclaimed auto insurance TD said since I live in the same house I'm entitled to the same discount(even though it's on my own separate policy). So it went from $3600 to $2300 (I'm 29 and couldn't get my 7 years uk no-claims approved since it was a company car)

All in all a great 24 hours.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

With the deposit ,I got the touring trim (1 lower then the Si) and they chucked in free remote start

Also got better when I went to do car insurance with TD. Since my relatives have max unclaimed auto insurance TD said since I live in the same house I'm entitled to the same discount(even though it's on my own separate policy). So it went from $3600 to $2300 (I'm 29 and couldn't get my 7 years uk no-claims approved since it was a company car)

All in all a great 24 hours.
Nice Shame about the auto transmission though, really kills the fun factor with the Vtec engine.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 11th 2013 at 3:16 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Nice Shame about the auto transmission though, really kills the fun factor with the Vtec engine.
I can't adjust to Manuel, changing gears with the right hand feels wrong.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 9:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I can't adjust to Manuel, changing gears with the right hand feels wrong.
Interesting. I've driven LHD manuals for more total years than RHD manuals and driven both on the "wrong" side of the road in different countries.

Which hand is on the gear shift has never bothered me, although I bet I'd have a problem if the pedals were mirror-imaged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.