Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is $28 an hour a decent wage for Calgary?

Is $28 an hour a decent wage for Calgary?

Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is $28 an hour a decent wage for Calgary?

We've just moved from Edmonton after three years. We're a family of 4 (two kids, 4 & 5), dont smoke, dont really drink, and like to eat out once or twice a week. We had one car, and a regular 3 bed house.
We struggled month to month on my salary (approx $70k).

If it's just going to be you working, with a salary of $55k in Calgary, I would say things would be very tight for you.

As an FYI, my brother came to visit us last year and was offered up to $40 an hour by Nissan and Land Rover as a mechanic/auto tech. He chose to stay in the UK though.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:36 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jericho
We've just moved from Edmonton after three years. We're a family of 4 (two kids, 4 & 5), dont smoke, dont really drink, and like to eat out once or twice a week. We had one car, and a regular 3 bed house.
We struggled month to month on my salary (approx $70k).

If it's just going to be you working, with a salary of $55k in Calgary, I would say things would be very tight for you.

As an FYI, my brother came to visit us last year and was offered up to $40 an hour by Nissan and Land Rover as a mechanic/auto tech. He chose to stay in the UK though.
My husband is a car mechanic has worked for a peugeot/citroen dealership for 20 odd years with a brief stint at a company making airplane tugs in between.
How did you brother get the offer did he just apply or was it through someone you know?
We are literally just dipping our toe in the water and my OH got this offer pretty quick so we are wondering wether to take it but dont want to miss an opportunity in case another doesnt come up.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:36 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rico29
Hi there.

I have just returned from visiting my brother in-law in Okotoks. He said that $60k is ok to start on but to be comfortable $80k is the ceiling to aim for.

He Currently rents a 3 bed house in Okotoks which is $1200. They get paid every 2 weeks so one pay check goes towards the rent. The tax is 5% in Alberta.

If you have any questions about Okotoks then feel free to PM me.
You may regret that!!!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kris_Rocks
My husband is a car mechanic has worked for a peugeot/citroen dealership for 20 odd years with a brief stint at a company making airplane tugs in between.
How did you brother get the offer did he just apply or was it through someone you know?
We are literally just dipping our toe in the water and my OH got this offer pretty quick so we are wondering wether to take it but dont want to miss an opportunity in case another doesnt come up.
We simply drove him around the area with his CV and he just walked in to different dealerships. He got about 6 offers in total, and receive different advice about the red seal process, but he was very much in demand. He's only got about 5 years experience also.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You may regret that!!!
Would it not be better to speak to those on this forum that live in Okotoks rather than one that visited?
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:33 pm
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Would it not be better to speak to those on this forum that live in Okotoks rather than one that visited?

Of course but as much info as you can get helps.
Also, they have close family that live there so any help given would not be purely based on a one time visitors opinion would it.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:37 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Does he really want to work on busses/coaches then? Has he done the Red Seal/equivelency exam? Has he got a LMO approval?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

BTW when do kids start school over there?
School year in Canada is generally September to June - starting/ending dates will probably vary by province.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:02 am
Just Joined

nikkistothard is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Okotoks and my husband is currently on a similar rate to this. We have two young kids. It is safe to say that we do have to be careful about what we are spending but it can be done. The only thing I would say is you need to make sure you bring over a decent amount of money to put away as a safety net as this doesnt really allow for any big emergencies cropping up! If you wanted to have a chat about the costs of things here etc drop me a message

Last edited by nikkistothard; Jul 13th 2011 at 1:44 am.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Take your email address off a forum .... please
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:44 am
Just Joined

nikkistothard is an unknown quantity at this point

oops - sorry!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

no worries - just didn't want to you be bombarded with unwanted crappy/spammy emails
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all

I have always thought these posts are impossible to answer. There are far too many variables so maybe give us more information, if you are mortgage free, have no car payments and do little to no commuting ie living walking distance to work and you spend your free time with your children riding on bicycles/kicking a football/hillwalking and have little desire for for the latest new technology on $28/hr you are very comfy.

There is a Dr of some sort where I sail and a bit of a wanker, I'm pretty sure he makes well over £100K looking where he lives and the newish 7 series bimmer/private school for kids but listening to him blither about how hard done by he is/poorly paid etc you would think he was a skint refugee from somalia.

When my wife and I work it out, with 2 kids, if we exclude mortgage payments we really need to spend £1200/mos to live to cover the basics. Food, gas, electric, petrol, life ins, car payment, insurances, some maintenance on house/cars, pension contribution when we put it on a spread sheet over 6-mos.

My suggestion is keep a spread sheet of everything you spend over 3mos and break it down under different headings, you will be shocked where your money goes then you can decide if $28/hr is enough.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently there are a few dealerships in the Calgary area that are paying Journeyman Mechanics around $34 per hour. OH's dealership has fallen behind...
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

Just a thought is that the starting wage? only I did 3 months and got another couple of dollars an hour more... also watch because I found if i did more than 8 hours overtime the dreaded tax man hit me so anything more than that i banked and had time off and saved child care when I could, like PD days (teacher training) and there is lots of those...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.