British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Breaking News (https://britishexpats.com/forum/breaking-news-175/)
-   -   Plumbers & Electricians emigrating to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/breaking-news-175/plumbers-electricians-emigrating-australia-760061/)

Sarah Davie May 30th 2012 10:14 am

Plumbers & Electricians emigrating to Australia

Downunder Tradies, run an Offshore Plumbing and Electrician Training in the UK. The training is a plumbing and electrician licensing requirement you will have to do in Australia.

They are currently offering Moneycorp clients a saving on the training. Next session is in September.

If you would like more information and a chance to speak to course attendees they are holding a BBQ on Friday 1st June in London. You will also be able to speak to me for more information on moving your money to Australia.

To sign up to a course or come along on Friday please contact me.

Sarah Davie Jun 15th 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Plumbers & Electricians emigrating to Australia

Further to my previous post, Downunder Tradies are running another get together for you to find out more information and see if the course is for you.

You will also get a chance to speak to a representative from Moneycorp about your overseas transfers as well as the trainer from NECA – National Electrical and Communications Association and guys on the current course.

If you would like to attend please let me know. Its on Friday the 29th of June at 4pm at their Isleworth Training Centre

Ian p Jul 5th 2012 7:25 pm

Don't do it
£ 3000 wasted on qualifications worth nothing in oz.
I've Spoken to plumbers and tafe who ave never heard of them.
vetasses are the only way for an overseas licence

Ian p Aug 12th 2012 7:24 am

Look on the WA plumbing board web site , it evens mentions down under trades are not recognised in Australia

Sarah Davie Aug 13th 2012 1:28 pm

Thank you for your comments, I have investigated this issue and can relay the following information:

Downunder Tradies isn’t a tafe (RTO) they use Swinburne University in Melbourne to deliver the national Australian context training. They suggest you contact the Plumbing licencing board for the State or Territory you are moving to. Vetassess works for (TRA) Trades Recognition Australia. Once completing your Vetassess you will receive a booklet, the book advices you on what is required once you arrive in Australia, This is a 12 month Australian Plumbing Context Training. In short there is 26 Modules that need to be completed. You must find a tafe in Australia and sit these required components in your own time either back with the Australian apprentices or night school.

All Downunder Tradies have done is organise a tafe to deliver this training here in the UK, this will save you time and money and make employment easier as you will have your plumbing registration at completion. Can you please advise where on the WA plumbing Board website where it mentions Down under tradies are not recognised in Australia. This may be looked at as Downunder Tradies being the RTO (Tafe) but the tafe they are currently using is Swinburne University.

It might pay to ask for John Mcbride from the Victorian PIC as he has been hired by federal government to work on a national plumbing licence. John would be able to give advise to anyone who is confused with the Australian licencing requirements.

Ian p Aug 13th 2012 4:46 pm

Bottom paragraph , down under tradies

To be eligible for a Tradespersons licence in Western Australia, your best option is to obtain a successful offshore technical skills record for Certificate III in Plumbing (issued through approved pathways such as Vetassess or Victoria University) prior to migration. If you were to pass the skills assessment you would not be required to undertake the basic hand skills assessment during the application process, however a familiarisation course in the Australian Plumbing Standard (theoretical and practical) would still apply.

You may be able to apply to Vetassess/VU for an onshore assessment once you have migrated, please contact them directly to discuss your options if you are interested in applying through this pathway. Information can be found online at http://vetassess.com.au/ and http://www.vu.edu.au/ If you will not be applying through these pathways for a trade skills assessment each application will be assessed on its own merit once it is received by the Board.

To be recognised as a plumber for licensing purposes an applicant would be required to show that they have at least 2 years practical experience (in the form of written references outlining specific types of work carried out) and have plumbing qualifications. Usually a plumber with formal qualifications from overseas would be entitled to hold provisional registration throughout Australia. In Western Australia however, that category of licence does not exist.

To satisfy the requirements to hold a licence an applicant would be required to undertake a 'Basic Hand Skills/Preliminary Skills Assessment'* (where they can substantiate to the satisfaction of the Board, that they have no less than 2 years practical experience in the plumbing industry and have provided specific examples of drainage plumbing work carried out within that time). The assessment is conducted by the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and can only be undertaken if the Board has referred them.

Should an applicant be referred to the RTO to undertake the Basic Hand Skills/Preliminary Skills Assessment*, the application will be held pending the outcome of that assessment. Should the applicant be referred to and pass that assessment the Board will then reconsider the application for the grant of a tradesperson's licence, which authorises the licensee to carry out plumbing work under the general direction and control of a licensed plumbing contractor.

If a tradesperson's licence is granted at this stage it will be granted with a condition that the licensee undertakes a Western Australian familiarisation program (Certificate III in Plumbing CPC32408 - Migrant Gap Training*) within 6 months of the licence being granted.

To initiate the process the applicant is required to submit:

* A completed tradesperson's plumbing licence application form

* 2 passport sized colour photographs signed on the back by an authorised witness (not more than 1 month old from time of lodging the application)

* 2 x written references from previous employers/clients (signed and on letterhead) demonstrating at least 2 years experience in the industry and citing specific examples of drainage plumbing work carried out (originals or certified copies only)

Additionally you will be required to provide the Board with a certified copy of the passport showing the date of arrival, type of visa held and the personal particulars page (only where permanent residency has been granted and have been in the country for less than three months). Where a working visa is held the applicant is required to provide the Board with a police clearance from the local police station nearest their residence in their home country (less than 3 months old) and provide the Board with a certified copy of the visa held. Please note: all documents MUST be translated into English where appropriate.

Please note that carrying out plumbing work in Western Australia without being the holder of a valid licence is a breach of the Water Services Licensing (Plumbers Licensing and Plumbing Standards) Regulations 2000, which, upon conviction, attracts a maximum penalty of $5,000.

Currently all plumbing licences are valid for 3 years from the date the licence is granted (also known as triennial licensing). It should be noted that regulations and licensing requirements do change from time to time therefore, it is suggested that you make yourself aware of the Board's website www.plumbers.wa.gov.au where information is uploaded regularly.

The Gas and Electrical industries are regulated by Energy Safety in Western Australia energysafety.wa.gov.au. If you require an additional licence to carry out gas or electrical work Energy Safety can be contacted by telephone on (08) 9422 5200 or email [email protected] regarding the licensing requirements in this State.

In regards to Down Under Tradies, that is something we do not accept here in WA. Please go through the process above.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

* Total cost of both the Basic Hand Skills/Preliminary Skills Assessment and the Certificate III in Plumbing CPC32408 (Migrant Gap Training) is approximately $700-$2900 and will be at the applicant's expense. Challenger Institute (08) 9239 8309 & MPA Skills (08) 9471 6600

The_Pom_From_Aus Oct 25th 2012 2:52 am

Ian, your spot on mate in what you say the so called migration company's are not worth a toss.
they wont be able to get people work, all applications for migration are required to apply via vetassess from the UK. all people can save thousands of Dollars by doing the application them self all it takes is to learn to be organized & follow advice from people on here NOT the company's advertising to get you a job in Australia.
Part of the application via VET, the main applicant shall be invited to do a trade test in the UK.

when that's all done & dusted & the people get to Australia they must then do Tafe (College) courses for Electrical or Plumbing. now im talking about electrical people. when people are here they 1st of all apply to the TRA for a certification to recognize there skills they shall be awarded the electrical mechanic (Installation sparks) or electrical fitter (Maint Sparks).

once they have either of them they can then do a electrical top up course for the Aussie wiring rules at Tafe, then after that they can apply to Energy safe in the state they reside in to do the state electrical exams.
lots of hoops to jump through but when they have done that they shall have the full license.
Oh i forgot: when you apply to the TRA & get your cert of skills recognition your allowed to apply to energy safe for the restricted electrical license you then do the required log book must for a suggested 12 months period. NOTE i said suggested 12 months if a company is happy with your work they can sign you off anytime they like.

Its well worth doing it all after all lots of people on this site have done the application them self.

please remember the company's in the UK doing the seminars are only after your money they are NOT in a position to offer you work its as simple as that.

you must have a full unrestricted electrical license to work in any state through Australia its Illegal to perform work with out the license, the seminar company's are NOT qualified RTO's the only thing they can do is offer there opinion & most of that is 99.0% crap.

Arthur

The_Pom_From_Aus Oct 25th 2012 3:08 am

Sarah,
the information you state below some of it is not at all correct: some is Incorrect:
Swinburne do offer whats called top up courses for both plumbing & electrical.
Most Tafe's now provide short courses for the trade people.

As far as the training in the UK goes its NOT recognized in any state in Australia, all training for electrical & plumbing must be done in Australia end of story. if people do any courses in the UK thinking they shall save money its not going to happen.

It also does not make the situation easier for finding employment. people who don't have the TRA cert wont get on any courses in Australia for electrical or plumbing you can only get the TRA cert now once a person is resident in Australia. so the statement of your company saving people money is out the window.

as for getting a job that's all crap: people with a restricted license are finding it almost impossible to obtain work until they have got the full licenses that can only be obtained in Australia.

i can tell you now if you contact any of the energy safe's in all states they shall tell you the same as Ive described above.
ask any RTO in Australia if the training your company provides in the UK is acceptable in Australia, i know now the answer is NO.

Now then you mention John Mcbride, i know John & i can tell you there is noway the PIC would accept the training your talking about.
you have opened a can of worms here & all i can say is lots of company's advertising to provide assistance & training for people migrating from the UK is simply false.

Ian p Oct 25th 2012 5:52 am

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus (Post 10348579)
Ian, your spot on mate in what you say the so called migration company's are not worth a toss.
they wont be able to get people work, all applications for migration are required to apply via vetassess from the UK. all people can save thousands of Dollars by doing the application them self all it takes is to learn to be organized & follow advice from people on here NOT the company's advertising to get you a job in Australia.
Part of the application via VET, the main applicant shall be invited to do a trade test in the UK.

when that's all done & dusted & the people get to Australia they must then do Tafe (College) courses for Electrical or Plumbing. now im talking about electrical people. when people are here they 1st of all apply to the TRA for a certification to recognize there skills they shall be awarded the electrical mechanic (Installation sparks) or electrical fitter (Maint Sparks).

once they have either of them they can then do a electrical top up course for the Aussie wiring rules at Tafe, then after that they can apply to Energy safe in the state they reside in to do the state electrical exams.
lots of hoops to jump through but when they have done that they shall have the full license.
Oh i forgot: when you apply to the TRA & get your cert of skills recognition your allowed to apply to energy safe for the restricted electrical license you then do the required log book must for a suggested 12 months period. NOTE i said suggested 12 months if a company is happy with your work they can sign you off anytime they like.

Its well worth doing it all after all lots of people on this site have done the application them self.

please remember the company's in the UK doing the seminars are only after your money they are NOT in a position to offer you work its as simple as that.

you must have a full unrestricted electrical license to work in any state through Australia its Illegal to perform work with out the license, the seminar company's are NOT qualified RTO's the only thing they can do is offer there opinion & most of that is 99.0% crap.

Arthur

Well said mate

crystal-gaze Dec 11th 2012 5:30 am

Don`t trust Down Under Tradies, they give false promises & guarantees especially in mining jobs. My hubbie spend over £3500 on their UK based electrician course on the promise of a job offer. We have been over here over 6 months now & no such positions or even help has materialized. Not just him all his fellow course members were in the same boat & have taken alturnative work that are not sparkies. So wish now we had saved our money & assessed the situation once here.

Savings now running low so we are having to return to the UK as finding employment hasn`t happened despite my hubbie so far submitting about 30 application for electrician jobs. The qualification they offer is also not enough to get sparkie jobs here as extra tickets are also needed at a cost of course. So we are thousands of £££ out of pocket with NOTHING TO SHOW. Shame on you D.U.T., playing on peoples dreams of Australia, I think that is why you run the courses in the UK, because by the time the unsuspecting client realises your so called courses are inadequate you have their money.

My advise get it in writing from D.U.T. of job offers from the employer before parting with one pence of your hard earned money.

The_Pom_From_Aus Dec 11th 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by crystal-gaze (Post 10426962)
Don`t trust Down Under Tradies, they give false promises & guarantees especially in mining jobs. My hubbie spend over £3500 on their UK based electrician course on the promise of a job offer. We have been over here over 6 months now & no such positions or even help has materialized. Not just him all his fellow course members were in the same boat & have taken alturnative work that are not sparkies. So wish now we had saved our money & assessed the situation once here.

Savings now running low so we are having to return to the UK as finding employment hasn`t happened despite my hubbie so far submitting about 30 application for electrician jobs. The qualification they offer is also not enough to get sparkie jobs here as extra tickets are also needed at a cost of course. So we are thousands of £££ out of pocket with NOTHING TO SHOW. Shame on you D.U.T., playing on peoples dreams of Australia, I think that is why you run the courses in the UK, because by the time the unsuspecting client realises your so called courses are inadequate you have their money.

My advise get it in writing from D.U.T. of job offers from the employer before parting with one pence of your hard earned money.

Crystal,
well said the trades down under are indication that they can provide training that's accepted in Australia that's NOT the case at all.Any training for trades must be completed in Australia this mob are NOT a registered RTO that means all there training is worth sod all to people. when a electrician or plumber comes to Australia they must do a number of exams some are like a pre course for electrical & plumbing then they do the RTO state exams to comply, then they apply for the correct licenses. to all reading this stay well AWAY from any company like this. everybody can gain a lot of info from others on here saving loads of money.

crystal-gaze Dec 11th 2012 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus (Post 10428209)
Crystal,
well said the trades down under are indication that they can provide training that's accepted in Australia that's NOT the case at all.Any training for trades must be completed in Australia this mob are NOT a registered RTO that means all there training is worth sod all to people. when a electrician or plumber comes to Australia they must do a number of exams some are like a pre course for electrical & plumbing then they do the RTO state exams to comply, then they apply for the correct licenses. to all reading this stay well AWAY from any company like this. everybody can gain a lot of info from others on here saving loads of money.

I know, unfortunately to late for us, my husband went on the course back in March. At the time we couldn`t find anything to contradict their claims. I think also them stating the cast iron guarantee of a offer of employment, has made me really mad about this company. My hubbie have never been unemployed since leaving school, was an self employed electrician in UK for 10 yrs. Here now over 6 months in we are running very low on our saved emigration money, we can`t claim Aussie benefits either, he can`t get employment as a sparkie despite applying to over 40 now positions (all over Australia) we feel really let down from their guarantee of fully qualified & get you a job offer.

Iam just suprised that they can trade these false claims. They use the fact that when you are in the UK you don`t actually know really what is going on in Aus in regards to rules, regs, etc..so you think it will work. We probably a little naive but hopeful as an older male hubbie really didn`t want to become an apprentice again. Now we are here he frankly can`t believe why Aus has such strict rules in his words "their wiring is shocking" excuse the pun & not a patch on UK wiring applied rules & regs. Aus, old RCD`s that can electricute you, no curcuit breakers, to name a couple, sorry if a bit wrong going from memory on his venting. He also said Aussie Sparkie current rules & regs is exactly same as the UK they just change the cover of the book.

Frankly,venting now, feel so let down, returning to UK with a big debt.

The_Pom_From_Aus Dec 12th 2012 2:08 am

Originally Posted by crystal-gaze (Post 10428318)
I know, unfortunately to late for us, my husband went on the course back in March. At the time we couldn`t find anything to contradict their claims. I think also them stating the cast iron guarantee of a offer of employment, has made me really mad about this company. My hubbie have never been unemployed since leaving school, was an self employed electrician in UK for 10 yrs. Here now over 6 months in we are running very low on our saved emigration money, we can`t claim Aussie benefits either, he can`t get employment as a sparkie despite applying to over 40 now positions (all over Australia) we feel really let down from their guarantee of fully qualified & get you a job offer.

Iam just suprised that they can trade these false claims. They use the fact that when you are in the UK you don`t actually know really what is going on in Aus in regards to rules, regs, etc..so you think it will work. We probably a little naive but hopeful as an older male hubbie really didn`t want to become an apprentice again. Now we are here he frankly can`t believe why Aus has such strict rules in his words "their wiring is shocking" excuse the pun & not a patch on UK wiring applied rules & regs. Aus, old RCD`s that can electricute you, no curcuit breakers, to name a couple, sorry if a bit wrong going from memory on his venting. He also said Aussie Sparkie current rules & regs is exactly same as the UK they just change the cover of the book.

Frankly,venting now, feel so let down, returning to UK with a big debt.

Crystal:
you have mail