Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

What sounds do you associate with Holland?

What sounds do you associate with Holland?

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Coda. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What sounds do you associate with Holland?

Hello all.

I am a sound engineer with an interest in many different areas of sound, location recording, mixing, producing etc. Ive recently been making some field recordings in the Netherlands and I would like to know what if any sounds you most strongly associate with your country?

I would welcome any suggestions no matter how personal or bizarre, Ive recently been recording Trams and cars and am about to try to get some recordings from a wind farm and some squeeky old Bicycles.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 9:41 am
Just Joined

ladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What sounds do you associate with Holland?

I would say bicycle bells ringing is pretty Dutch. The wind going through the plants on dykes.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:45 pm
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

What about bubbling bongs?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:47 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Snoring
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

The background noise of cars and bicycles and people chattering accompanied by Dutch street organ music.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:14 am
Just Joined

ladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the rough

snoring?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:15 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

The sound of tulips blowing in the breeze (i don't think they make much noise tho)...or clogs...

I'll get my coat..
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:42 am
Just Joined

There's something else I just cant quite put my finder on. . . I'll come to me eventually.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

Everything above plus maybe the mouse with clogs going tip-tippety tap on the stairs?!

Also maybe the sound of skates on ice, although the winters have started to get warmer in the last few years.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute

Church bells and Carillions, plus the train station anouncements on the platform.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:05 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Church bells (so loud they will wake you in the morning if you're not used to them). Cows and goats. Sound of the windmills, tractors.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyice
snoring?
A cheap 'drug tourist' joke.

That and Dragon Ball Z on the TV.

It was a good weekend.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Hey guys, these are all great suggestions it's going to be hard to keep up with them all.

I did get a great recording of a station announcement at Amsterdam central this weekend, with some amazing reverb from the huge station building. I didn't get any ice skates yet but I did get some footstep in the snow.

I've done something with snoring in, have a listen any feedback would be appreciated.

(SNIP)

I know on the surface it sounds a bit tacky but there's some clever uses of sound in this comp, I pitched up some tram bells to sound more like bicycle bells and pitch them down again making them sound more like gongs (at the very end) then I just messed around it doesn't always have to be serious.

Still a lot on my list, ice skates, windmills and church bells, dont know about the mice but I'll pop in to my pet store and try and get some mouse squeaks.

Cheers all.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 15th 2012 at 6:12 pm. Reason: Duff link
Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:33 am
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

The rumble of Amsterdam trams is probably the most familiar sound to all vistors to Holland.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Basilito01 is an unknown quantity at this point

the trams dinging people out of the way especially tourists at Leidsepleine and the Dam.
Agressive bikers..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.