Utility Costs in Eindhoven

Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Michelle36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utility Costs in Eindhoven

Hi

I have just moved to Eindhoven for 3 months. Can someone give me an idea of how much per month I should expect to pay for Gas, Water & Electric.

My agency originally asked for 92 Euro's per month in advance for the heating (Gas) but said that as its summer I should expect to get the majority if this refunded as I won't be using it. However as there is no water meter in my app to accuratley calculate usage they are now suggesting a fixed monthly cost for all Gas/Electric & Water of 130 euro's per month. and are saying that this is cheap. Obviously I have no idea if this is true, however get the feeling they are trying it on especially as I am one person who is out all day and will only be in the app 2 weekends a month!!!!!!

Can anyone help me. I need to go back to them ASAP, todya if poss.

Thanks

M
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Utility Costs in Eindhoven

Sounds very high to me. My costs currently run around 70 euro per month for a two bedroom apartment. Although I am away a lot so only there 2-3 nights a week.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:58 am
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are used to having cheap Water in the UK, and it is cheap compared to the continent, you will be in for a shock.

Water supply is metred and not only do you pay for the supply you pay for the wastage as well.

Gas prices have gone up, like anywhere really.

But why don't you just ask for an itemised bill and go to the utility company with a Dutch friend or colleague?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Rumpole is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Eindhoven and I can give you our costs for the last year:

Water (Brabant Water): 28 euro/month
Electricity (E-On):90 euro/month
Gas (E-on): 156 euro/month

This is for a largish semi with two of us (+2 student sons visiting from time to time).

Obviously if you are staying in an appartment then costs wil be a lot lower but a figure of 130 euro/month seems about right to me.

If it's any consolation if you use less then you will be refunded any difference and in my experience the energy companies are usually fairly prompt at coughing up.