UPC - have we just been unlucky?

Old Jul 16th 2014, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Netpon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UPC - have we just been unlucky?

We arrived from the UK 6 weeks ago and got in touch with UPC to arrange for TV, Internet and Broadband to be installed (their top/most expensive package) After taking 2 weeks to get it working we've had nothing but problems with it for the last 4 weeks - the wifi keeps going off and we have to reset it, we are paying for 200Mb and most of the time getting less than 20, the TV keeps going off and needing to be reset and the choice of channels is rubbish considering its their top package.

We've had 3 engineers out altogether but we're still having problems and I'm tempted to rip the lot out and send it back to them.

We were with Virgin in the UK for about 15 years and never had problems like these in all those years.

Have we just been unlucky or did we choose the wrong provider? We are in Hoek van Holland.

Can anyone suggest a better company??
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future
Default Re: UPC - have we just been unlucky?

UPC is going to merge with Ziggo, so I think you have no other option. KPN maybe?

Customer service is consistently rubbish in NL, so don't expect better.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

UPC is going to merge with Ziggo, so I think you have no other option. KPN maybe?

Customer service is consistently rubbish in NL, so don't expect better.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

WiFi is really not the problem of your provider because every house/apartment is different, plus neighbour's WiFi channels can also screw it up immensely.

Try a utility like INSSIDER (WiFi scanner) and see what channel you (and your neighbours) are using. Move your WiFi channel to 13 or as far as possible from the neighbours.

If that doesn't work buy a network cable and attach a separate WiFi router somewhere else in the house to get a better signal, or even a WiFi amplifier/booster.

Measuring the speed can only be done accurately with a wired connection to the cable modem. Try speedtest.net and see what you get back. (Attach your laptop/PC via a network cable)

The TV problems can only be down to the company and your connection. If it keeps dropping out then the problem is more likely to be external.

Call the helpdesk and explain, also write an e-mail and send a letter by registered post stating your dissatisfaction and give them a deadline to fix it. UPC Twitter/ Facebook is strangely effective because this is where their 'WEB CARE" people hang out.

If all else fails cancel it and get a combination of a cheap DSL provider like Telfort and a Freesat Box from UK.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

You can get UK satellite reception in NL. , if you can place the dish on your property.
Dutch TV is the pits.
I have 3 UPC connections at 3 addresses in Amsterdam, they all work pretty much flawlessly. But the network has terrible security, you're dependent on your own firewall to keep attacks at bay.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

johnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nice

[QUOTE=liveaboard;11372337]You can get UK satellite reception in NL. , if you can place the dish on your property.
Dutch TV is the pits.

Amen to that, now that Zig UP have merged, utter she ite. Channels drop out constantly, can't set my favourite list up as the frequency is unsteady via my set top box. Crap choice as well, only a couple of English language ones, dropped BBC prime a while back, then Sky news, then TCM and now MGM has gone and the replacement is pixelated and choppy.

I may have to look at a satelite dish and setting up an account...does it need to be registered to an address in the UK to use the freeview box do you know?
Old Apr 29th 2015, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Try filmon.tv as well...
Old Apr 29th 2015, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

freeview just works for free, but if you use a sky box you might need to register in the UK. I'm not sure because I never used one.
I use a programmable satellite receiver [VU Duo].
Old May 9th 2015, 11:28 am
Just Joined

johnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nice

Originally Posted by calman014
Try filmon.tv as well...
Thanks for the tip calman, I used to have a little programme that could tune in to British TV, but they got wise to it and blocked it constantly until it died the death.
This looks quite stable, perfect for on the tablet/ laptop.
Old May 10th 2015, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

For FREESAT you will just have to punch in a UK postcode which will adjust the programming accordingly (e.g. local BBC region news).
Old May 13th 2015, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Fugee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnshuttle
Thanks for the tip calman, I used to have a little programme that could tune in to British TV, but they got wise to it and blocked it constantly until it died the death.
This looks quite stable, perfect for on the tablet/ laptop.
It also works with chromecast if you want to watch on a TV.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

fortuner is on a distinguished road

I've heard of numerous problems that people have had with UPC, now taken over by Ziggo, but we've had no trouble at all watching TV. Though as Dutch TV is pretty much crap, we've eventually gone for the UK's Freesat (search for skydigibox) and only have Ziggo TV as back up.
XS4ALL is very good, we use them for Internet only but you can use them for TV & telephone too but as KPN give you free calls around the world (40 countries), we're happy to stick with them.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

For Sky, you need to be registered at a UK address you have access to - in this case I have mine at my parents. I found this guy very helpful - [email protected]
Old Jun 30th 2015, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

No need to register to an English address, Canal Digitaal does the satellite TV here. Satelliet tv van CanalDigitaal