Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

UK Student Loans Company and my relocation

UK Student Loans Company and my relocation

Old May 6th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice
Default UK Student Loans Company and my relocation

Myself and my partner both have student loans with SLC in Glasgow. We have never been earning enough to repay the amount so have deferred each year. This year, my partner is earning enough so we informed them of our new address when we moved and also filled out the slip to state our new bank details with our Dutch bank.

We got (3 months later) a compliment slip back with the words "wrong bank account" on.. we wrote back saying we no longer have a UK bank account as the move over here is permanent. Then a few months later we got a letter asking us to fill in the overseas assessment form which we did and in this letter it explained that repayments should be from a UK bank account.

We again wrote back saying we do not have one but they are welcome to take the money from our dutch bank account.

It seems like we are banging our heads against a wall. Why can't they take money from our Dutch account? Its not like we are refusing to pay them back? We just no longer have a UK bank account.

I am awaiting their response again... Anyone else had this problem?
Old May 7th 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

davesmithsrm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK Student Loans Company and my relocation

I've not had this problem, but only a theory based on my wife also paying back a student loan before we left the UK.

Check the t&c of the loan from when it was taken out - you may find embedded within the agreement that the repayment has to be made back through a UK account - failure to do this may hold you liable to extra charges or a bad credit rating. Correct me if i am wrong, but i dont think you can do a D/D from an overseas account? (this is what i was told in Belgium).
Old May 7th 2009, 3:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

They probably have no system for converting currency.

The Student loan thing is a mystery to my daughter too. She has moved house about three times and I assume they have lost track of her. She receives no statements, hasnt had one for a few years now and doesnt earn enough to repay even though she had a degree.

Do they ever write them off?
Old May 8th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

davesmithsrm is on a distinguished road

yes, after a time the government writes them off.... i think the standard term is 25 years.