Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

UK Citizen, Living in Canada, Thinking about a move to NL

UK Citizen, Living in Canada, Thinking about a move to NL

Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

RickD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizen, Living in Canada, Thinking about a move to NL

Hello Everyone, I'm looking for input and advice on my situation.

As the title says, I'm a UK citizen currently living in Canada, working towards my PR (approximately Sept 2020). Moving and settling in Canada has been my primary focus for the past few years, but living in NL has always been on my mind, and moreso than ever recently.

Here are a few things that give an idea on my personal situation:

- I am unable to do anything until i get my CDN PR, as I am not willing to give up on something I have worked so hard for over the last few years (it hasn't been a smooth process)
- I work in IT, 10 years desktop support experience, computing studies diploma, various professional qualifications and always working on new ones. I don't consider myself super highly skilled, but also not unskilled.
- I've been learning dutch for the past 9 months. I'm not at a point where i can have conversations yet, but I'm familiarizing myself with the sounds and often think about how I would have basic conversations in Dutch. I plan to continue this learning, and feel I would definitely have an advantage over a non-dutch speaker if and when it came to immersion and learning the language, which I'd definitely want to do.
- I could support myself financially for a few months while I settled and found work, accommodation etc.

My research so far:

- I feel like these websites have conflicting information:
- https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-the-netherlands
If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, the EU Withdrawal Agreement sets out an implementation period until 31 December 2020, when you can live, work and travel in the Netherlands broadly as before the UK leaves the EU. You will be able to move to the Netherlands and establish residency under the same rules as before the UK leaves the EU.
- https://www.government.nl/topics/bre...s-after-brexit
British nationals who were legally resident in the Netherlands before the UK’s withdrawal will retain their right to live, study and work here. This will also apply to family members of British nationals who are not EU citizens themselves.
- https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...e-after-brexit:
The Withdrawal Agreement – guarantees British citizens (who are lawfully resident in EU member states) broadly the same rights as they have now. They can continue to live, work and travel (although these rights would cease after a leave of absence of more than five years). The same would apply to British citizens moving to the EU during the transition period, which is expected to end on 31 December 2020, but it could be extended up to December 2022. This is because freedom of movement would continue to apply during this time.

The English website states I can still move until the transition date, the dutch website makes no mention on this, but at the same time doesn't say it is not possible. The third website explicitly states I can move to the EU up until the transition date. What is everyone's take on this?

I am also reading in other threads certain requirements for registering for certain things. Presence on the UK electoral roll was mentioned for something (I think maybe a rental agreement, but not entirely sure)

Is there anything else I need to bear in mind, am I being realistic with my intentions?

That's all for now, I may have other questions.

Thanks in advance for any input / advice

Last edited by RickD; Jul 17th 2019 at 12:14 am.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 12:31 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen, Living in Canada, Thinking about a move to NL

If you can’t move for another year at least then I suspect your postulating is fairly academic at this stage. Come back after Halloween and things should be clearer.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you can test your Dutch language skill on this web page: https://ind.nl/Paginas/Brexit.aspx
Unfortunately does it not mention specifically what happens with UK citizens who do not yet live in the Netherlands but decide to move there between today and Brexit.
Having said that, I agree with the previous poster that your questions are rather academic, as most things will have changed by the time you are ready to consider a move to the Netherlands.

Last edited by SushiFan; Jul 17th 2019 at 8:45 am.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, don't stress about learning the language to business level. It doesn't matter where in the world you come from, IT jobs = primarily English speaking roles. There are a fraction of small businesses where the working language is Dutch, yes (culturally, that is often too much of a shock for incomers); and there will be some hiring managers who want you to speak Dutch for social reasons - and that's their prerogative - but they are few and far between, especially right now when there are more jobs in IT than people qualified to do them. Conversational Dutch such as you will have will suffice.

I would avoid looking at the UK government website. The Dutch one is, as could be expected, far more black-and-white and regularly updated: https://ind.nl/en/pages/brexit.aspx

And here's the handy chart:

Old Aug 9th 2019, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

It seems very hard to give you any kind of advice. According to your post, you seem to be interested in the PR status in Canada. I resume, you're also aware that PR status in Canada would expire, once you're absent from Canada for some time. Don't know how long that is these days. Thus, I don't know why you're interested in PR in Canada and then you're considering living in NL? Or is the move to NL only temporary, until PR status in Canada is obtained?

The Netherlands come of very often, in terms of internationals and expats moving as a credible alternative to Brexit-UK.

The research I've done about the Netherlands are however mixed:

- Yes, the lack of speaking Dutch is not the biggest problem, however you won't understand the locals, the local newspapers and you will be an outsider for a while. TV is in English and not dubbed.
- Public transport and infrastructure, healthcare, etc seem to be top notch
- The housing and rental market seem to be tough and looking for a rental place seems to be a full time occupation
- Petrol prices seem to be excessively high in NL, possibly the highest in Europe.
- Payroll tax seems to be higher than in the UK, certainly higher than in Canada and salaries vs the cost of housing is not a very good balance
- Citizenship in NL is apparently difficult to obtain, even after long years of residency, as NL doesn't accept dual citizenship to other countries that easily, also with the UK or Canada.