Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Speaking the language to get a job

Speaking the language to get a job

Old May 20th 2009, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

dave_the_leg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speaking the language to get a job

I was at a careers advice session a few weeks ago. The advisor said that, for my line of work (Chartered Engineer working in electronics and optics) being unable to speak Dutch would not significantly hinder me in finding a job, although I would need to learn the language to live there in practice.

Does this ring true to anyone?
Old May 20th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

brummie girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Speaking the language to get a job

erm.. tbh.. at the moment you will have to be more then perfect to get a job.. my husband is a network engineer and has had no joy for the past 6 months finding a job in his field due to the language issue. Its hard out there at the moment. Not impossible.. but knowing the language will be the difference between you and somebody else with the same qualifications
Old May 21st 2009, 2:29 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_the_leg
I was at a careers advice session a few weeks ago. The advisor said that, for my line of work (Chartered Engineer working in electronics and optics) being unable to speak Dutch would not significantly hinder me in finding a job, although I would need to learn the language to live there in practice.

"They" can say what they like, get them to find you a job, without any search fee. I put this link to another request about working in The Netherlands.
http://www.expatica.com/nl/news/loca...ince-WWII.html
Prospects are not good anywhere at the moment. If you are really keen you have to be on the ground for interviews etc. But you will still need some language skills for things like rental contacts registering and utlities contracts too.

Good luck
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave_the_leg

I´m a freelance IT techie and easily found a job here without having any language skills during the dot boom ten years ago.

Things changed substantially after the dot bust. I have managed to stay working but I´m pretty sure that is only because I learnt the language. Basically if an employer has the choice between a Dutch speaking and non-Dutch speaking candidate for the same job they´ll usually go with the former.

It is not impossible to get work whilst only speaking English but it is harder.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

lachat is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in Holland for neally 6 years and where I live it is near imposible to get a job if you are not Polish or if you do not speak Dutch, its very easy to learn. I learnt to speak faily good in a few months.