Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Single mum of 2 looking to move to NL

Single mum of 2 looking to move to NL

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

SuperNova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single mum of 2 looking to move to NL

Hi All

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I am a single mum of two. I live in London and my ex husband lives abroad.

I would love to move with my 2 children to the Netherlands (near Amsterdam), and just wondered if anyone has any experience of moving as a single parent.

My kids are both under 10 so I want to move before they get too close to secondary school so that they can integrate and learn the language.

I am learning Dutch but i'm still very basic (hard to practise when you have no Dutch people to speak to).

I work full time, and would expect to do the same in NL - but not sure how feasible that is. I read that schools expect kids to go home for lunch?

There are so many things to consider but I have been to the Netherlands about 6 times in the last 2 years and simply love the feel , out doorsy, family friendly feel of the place.

Does anyone have any thoughts that could help me work out where to start and any guidance and pitfalls to look out for? I own a flat in London and renting it out could possibly get me some money towards financing a small house - but rents are expensive and I'm not sure if buying is the right option before I have found my feet.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 2:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single mum of 2 looking to move to NL

First obstacle to surmount is ensuring that you have permission form the children's father to take them out of the UK, you will need written permission.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
First obstacle to surmount is ensuring that you have permission form the children's father to take them out of the UK, you will need written permission.

That wont be a problem as he lives outside of Europe and see's them once a year.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperNova
That wont be a problem as he lives outside of Europe and see's them once a year.
But to legally move them to another country you DO need his permission, or a court order, otherwise you could be in serious legal trouble.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
But to legally move them to another country you DO need his permission, or a court order, otherwise you could be in serious legal trouble.

Im not saying I wont get his permission, I'm saying he wont have a problem. He knows of my intention to move and understands why I am looking into it now.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

In that case how are you intending to support yourself in NL and what regular income do you have coming in to live from when you arrive?
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by calman014
In that case how are you intending to support yourself in NL and what regular income do you have coming in to live from when you arrive?

I currently work for a German Company with an office in Amsterdam.
I am looking at options to move there, but not speaking Dutch makes it a little difficult. I will be in NL in August so have made plans to meet a couple of employees there to see if I can make some useful connections.
I have sent my CV to a couple of recruiters and applied directly for a couple of other positions but I realise that employers prefer you to be in the country first - which obviously makes things more difficult as having the kids means I will not leave the UK until I have my finances, school and accommodation sorted.

I have my flat in the UK which I will rent out, which can help with some cost's. However I need to secure work for me to feel comfortable about the move.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Fugee is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids are both under 10 so I want to move before they get too close to secondary school so that they can integrate and learn the language.

I work full time, and would expect to do the same in NL - but not sure how feasible that is. I read that schools expect kids to go home for lunch?
What happens at lunchtime depends on the school's own policy. My kids went to different junior schools here - at one, it was optional whether the kids went home for lunch (you had to pay a small fee they stayed) and at the other, it was compulsory for the kids to stay for lunch - NO GOING HOME. You'll need to ask the local schools what their policy is.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fugee
What happens at lunchtime depends on the school's own policy. My kids went to different junior schools here - at one, it was optional whether the kids went home for lunch (you had to pay a small fee they stayed) and at the other, it was compulsory for the kids to stay for lunch - NO GOING HOME. You'll need to ask the local schools what their policy is.

Thanks, that is useful to know.
How long have you been in NL? I am going because I feel it has a much healthier work/life balance than the UK. Would you say that is right?

I want my kids to grow up in a safe, clean and healthy society and NL seems to fit the bill.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that is useful to know.
How long have you been in NL? I am going because I feel it has a much healthier work/life balance than the UK. Would you say that is right?
I've been here too long to really know what it's like in the UK nowadays apart from what you read in the newspaper or see on the TV.

I'm also originally from the south east of England and I cannot imagine ever moving back. Of course, everybody is different and I've met people who have hated it here despite leading a life I could never afford. Everybody's reality is different, I suppose.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

All the statements you made/questions are basically dependent on where you live. Some people love Amsterdam others not. English kids generally get on well here. As long as you are serious about learning Dutch you will do OK, don't let it put you off. It will not be easy.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by calman014
All the statements you made/questions are basically dependent on where you live. Some people love Amsterdam others not. English kids generally get on well here. As long as you are serious about learning Dutch you will do OK, don't let it put you off. It will not be easy.

I don't want to live in Amsterdam, but for work I will need to be close and I definitely have to learn Dutch.

so far no one has said DONT DO IT! - so i'm thinking that Im not being unrealistic.

In another post someone said Almere or Hilversum are nice family places. I have spent most of my time North of Amsterdam - Haarlem, Driehuis, Uitgeest and I will be staying in Ijmuiden this summer.
But since this move is primarily about the kids do any of you have thoughts on Hilversum and Almere. - The schools, the extra curricular activities available - we are a sporty bunch so need lots of activities to keep us going.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

I will be staying in Ijmuiden this summer.
Nice. When are you over? There's a harbour fesitval going on in IJmulden in Augusts (15th, 16th & 18th) with tall ships prior to Sail Amsterdam (www.sail.nl/en-2015). Your kids should enjoy it.

Last edited by Fugee; Jul 24th 2015 at 9:44 am.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

But since this move is primarily about the kids do any of you have thoughts on Hilversum and Almere. - The schools, the extra curricular activities available - we are a sporty bunch so need lots of activities to keep us going.
I don't know anything about Hilversum or Almere, but my experience of the extracurricular activities of the two junior schools my kids went to in the Netherlands is that it's nonexistent. But that does not mean there are no sports for kids to do, rather that the emphasis was on us to make them do something. I was rather impressed with the badminton club my daughter went to - a bit of a shame she's given it up to play football next school year.

I had a quick look at the Dutch pages of Almere local council's website and there's a long list of different sports clubs.
English information is available here:
Sports | Living and working | Gemeente Almere
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fugee
I don't know anything about Hilversum or Almere, but my experience of the extracurricular activities of the two junior schools my kids went to in the Netherlands is that it's nonexistent. But that does not mean there are no sports for kids to do, rather that the emphasis was on us to make them do something. I was rather impressed with the badminton club my daughter went to - a bit of a shame she's given it up to play football next school year.

I had a quick look at the Dutch pages of Almere local council's website and there's a long list of different sports clubs.
English information is available here:
Sports | Living and working | Gemeente Almere

Thanks for the help and info- This forum is proving really useful. It so hard having to do research, make decisions and plans by myself all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.