Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Self-Employed Persons Visa (Netherlands)

Self-Employed Persons Visa (Netherlands)

Old Dec 27th 2020, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Crumpet55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self-Employed Persons Visa (Netherlands)

Hi,

I was hoping to get more information on the "self-employed person" visa in the Netherlands. I have checked the IND website and they have a comprehensive enough guide, but wanted to ask a few more questions to see evaluate my suitability.

I have/continue to work as a journalist/copywriter (for over 5 years). I have a limited company in the UK for which I am the sole director. I have contracts with several clients including one in Amsterdam, whom I have been working for as a freelancer for a number of years.

The conditions state for this visa requires that you provide an essential service, which is determined by the points-based system.

For my own personal situation, I have calculated the following using conservative estimates: (Personal experience 49 points, Business plan 46 points)

A) Personal Experience Section: (49 points)

Education:
I have 20 out of 35 points (Bsc)
Entrepreneurship Experience: I score 10/35 points
This part seems quite subjective to know how many points are scored, but I have over 5 years experience, I am the owner of my Ltd, and a director, but only have one employee, which is me. So I have given myself 10 points here, is that a fair estimate?
Work Experience: 10 points (as I have more than 5 years experience)
Income: 25-45: (7/10 points)
Experience With Netherlands: 2/10 points (for the sole dutch client I have?)
Startup enterprenuer: 0 points

B) Business plan: (46 points) my business turnover if about €40,000, and it already operates at a profit, with about 50% liquidity)

Potential market: 12/25 points (this is subjective again so I have given myself just 50% of the points on offer)
Organization: 10/25 points (this is subjective again so I've given myself the 10 points as I won't score any point for cross sectoral..)
Financing 24/50 Points
- Balance total: 9 points
- Turnover: 5 points
- Liquidity forecast 10 points (I already operate at a profit)

C) Add value for the Netherlands: (30 points) I do not score the minimum points from the criteria, but this section says that if you have at least 45 points for sections A&B then you will get 30 points for this section)
Innovation: (0 points) As a journalist/writer, I'm prob not going to score points for innovation/creation of labor)..
Creation of Labor: I could add this to my business plan (but I read that you will be assessed on renewal of the permit to see if you met your goal of job creation, so I'd rather leave this as 0)

** so I meet the minimum requirements of 90 points (min of 30 points for each section)

1) Can someone please let me know whether I have missed anything here, are journalist/writers eligible for ths self-employed permit or is only the high in-demand type jobs (e.g. IT)?
2) If journalism/copywriting is eligible under this self-employed persons visa, do you think my estimates are reasonable?
3) If I were to bring my non-EU girlfriend with me under this visa, will she have to have the civic certificate? (I read that If I have a self-employed visa she would be exempt... but not sure about this.)

** I have used the search but struggle to see information many people applying via this route. Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Crumpet55; Dec 27th 2020 at 3:04 am. Reason: more
Old Dec 27th 2020, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self-Employed Persons Visa (Netherlands)

I wish you luck, but as until next week there has not (since pre-EU-membership days) been a need to apply for this kind of visa if a British citizen, your request is pretty unique. I wonder if there is perhaps a similar website with other third-country nationals where you may receive more help? Or can you get over here and register before next Friday, using a serviced apartment or similar?
Old Dec 29th 2020, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Crumpet55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self-Employed Persons Visa (Netherlands)

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
I wish you luck, but as until next week there has not (since pre-EU-membership days) been a need to apply for this kind of visa if a British citizen, your request is pretty unique. I wonder if there is perhaps a similar website with other third-country nationals where you may receive more help? Or can you get over here and register before next Friday, using a serviced apartment or similar?
Won't be able to get there by Friday. I'll have a look at other sites, thanks for the reply.