Renouncing British citizenship

Old May 31st 2018, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

wilson1960 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renouncing British citizenship

I recently became a Dutch citizen and I am now in possession of a Dutch passport. I am obliged to renounce my British citizenship and have filled out the necessary documentation. I must provide proof of my new nationality. Will they accept copies of my Dutch passport as proof? I will obviously send my British passport but am unwilling to send my new Dutch passport as I will then have no travel i.d. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for your reply!
Old May 31st 2018, 12:43 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

You dont have to, why would you want to? Especially as theres now a nice big fee for doing it :-)

https://www.government.nl/topics/dut...al-nationality
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your Dutch Citizenship. Are you renouncing the British one because you choose to do so, or because some Dutch official said you must? Nobody knows what the next twelve months will bring, particularly as there are people working hard to allow first generation dual nationals to keep two nationalities, and the current Dutch gov't (VVD-led) had made this one of their election promised. I'm with the other poster - keep hold of both for now unless renouncing it is something you personally wish to do, to the extent you're happy to pay a small fortune to do so. Nobody will ask you if you did renounce it, and if they do, tell them you're waiting for clarity on the process as it's changing - they wouldn't have an answer for that...
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 5:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you were to renounce then you’d need to send your naturalisation certificate. Personally I would concur with the posters and hold off doing anything for the time being. Be aware that if you are married to a Dutch citizen then there is no obligation to renounce your existing citizenship.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 9:44 am
Just Joined

johnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nicejohnshuttle is just really nice

All I can say is, don't sell your soul.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Renouncing British citizenship

If you visit the website of IND (ind.nl) you will see that several options are open to you. It depends which option you chose and this will determine renouncing your British Citizenship or not as the case may be. Renouncing your UK citizenship is NOT compulsory (as many people seem to think). There are special rules/conditions surrounding BREXIT, offering some flexibility.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Fugee is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a samenwoningscontract with my Dutchess and I haven't read anywhere that I'm currently eligible for two passports. But I want a Dutch passport by the start of the transmission period or the fall off the cliff edge, if things really do go that far.

I have no specific reason why. I'll feel safer and will not have to worry the British may get even more insular and have the Dutch decide to do they same to the Brits - the right to live in an OAP home or something.

My current options seem to be go through the process of getting (and paying for) a Dutch passport and give up the British one, get a registered partnership (two passports, but is a geregistreerd partnerschap recognized in the UK if we ever decide to live there?) or get married - nah, what would our kids think?

I'm not bothered about keeping a British passport, but the Dutchess would prefer I don't give it up. Maybe she wants to kick me out and make sure I leave the country when she's finally spent all my money.

Although I feel in limbo, my options seem clear and I'm not in any way worried.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

DutchLiz is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone in NL renounced their UK citizenship?
Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

I have sent my British passport plus a copy of the Dutch plus a international BRP original document showing nationality.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Has anyone legalised the form they get back from the home office for renunciation?
Old Aug 6th 2018, 4:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DutchLiz
Has anyone legalised the form they get back from the home office for renunciation?
The question still remains, why would you do it, it isn't essential yet and the laws in the Netherlands are due to be changed regarding this. I would certainly hold off until after Brexit to see what transpires.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The question still remains, why would you do it, it isn't essential yet and the laws in the Netherlands are due to be changed regarding this. I would certainly hold off until after Brexit to see what transpires.
Where are you getting your information from?

There was an opinion piece in the Volkskrant last week which made reference to this in the "regeerakkoord", but the person writing the article stated that there was no way it would be achieved before 29th Match next year. I haven't read or heard anything to make me think otherwise.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 9:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fugee
Where are you getting your information from?

There was an opinion piece in the Volkskrant last week which made reference to this in the "regeerakkoord", but the person writing the article stated that there was no way it would be achieved before 29th Match next year. I haven't read or heard anything to make me think otherwise.
From post #3
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
From post #3
So you get your information from forum posts?

Apart from the fact that post #3 suggests somebody act illegally by not renouncing their British passport, which, who knows, could possibly result in them losing their Dutch passport, it is, *in my opinion*, incorrect.

The text from the coalition agreement states:

"Het kabinet bereidt in samenhang voorstellen voor ter modernisering van het nationaliteitsrecht. Het betreft een verruiming van de mogelijkheid van het bezit van meerdere nationaliteiten voor aankomende eerste generatie emigranten en immigranten. Gelijktijdig komt er voor volgende generaties een verplicht keuzemoment dat daadwerkelijk leidt tot het behoud van niet meer dan één nationaliteit."

As I read it (if somebody interprets the Dutch text differently, please let me know), the cabinet is going to make proposals to change the current rules. That is very different from an election promise to allow dual nationality. I know that under certain conditions you can keep your British nationality, but that does not help the very many people who under the current rules have to renounce their British nationality. The proposals would still have to be passed by parliament and, as far as I understand it, it's D66 that wants to change the law, so that's not a great deal of support, let alone a promise that the rules will be changed.

And what about expats' children? If these proposals get through parliament, they will not have the same possibility as their parents.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DutchLiz
I have sent my British passport plus a copy of the Dutch plus a international BRP original document showing nationality.
Hi Liz

How much is the whole process costing you? I read somewhere that you also have to pay to renounce your British passport. Is that true?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.