Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Question for single expat guys...

Question for single expat guys...

Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:49 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Question for single expat guys...

Originally Posted by alandoug View Post
Your wish will happen at the end of this month I reckon. Titanic? At least that hit an iceberg giving it some excuse. Where did GB make the fatal mistake? Well GB himself ought to be able to answer that.
Where did GB make the fatal mistake? Years ago when the EU was formed. There was, and still is no logic in trying to go your own way country wise. The British lion lost it's teeth and false teeth a long, long time ago. GB still has the illusion of being a world dominating power, it's what it is, an illusion. And the concern I now share with a lot of my fellow Europeans? Will GB in the process of speeding up it's entry into the EU pull the rest of Europe down with her? You're talking about hundreds of billions of Euro's to get GB back to EU specifications. Time hasn't stood still despite the stuburn policy of various PM's your country has seen come and gone. Are we, the rest of Europe, the ones that have to pay the ultimate price? For an HMS Great Britain that is economically and socially sinking I mean? Look what it cost Germany to reunite two Germany's into one. I fear the price tag it will cost the EU to reunite a stuburn GB back into it's league's. A place, in my humble opinion, it no longer deserves. GB wanted to save it's unique life style, as if that was ever threatened by the EU. GB wanted it's independence from the EU and the rest of planet earth. Let GB now also pay the price tag all by it self.

Dutchie

Last edited by Dutchie; Dec 12th 2008 at 5:18 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Dutchie wrote: "I fear the price tag it will cost the EU to reunite a stuburn GB back into it's league's. A place, in my humble opinion, it no longer deserves."

You missed my original inference.... The first "GB" was the country the second "GB" Gordon Brown.

Question is: Does GB really want it as well?

I think if a referendum was held in the UK over EU membership, we'd be out. Your opinion reflects that of many in the EU I believe. Norway does well outside the EU, why can't we?

Another interesting point you might like to consider is, just what would happen in Holland if you guys were given a choice on EU membership? I've spent alot of time in your country & I reckon you'd be out along with us!!

As to the cost of getting HMS GB back in the club..... What about Italy, Greece & Spain. Not to mention our new found friends from the East? Don't you think the EU in its present form is an unrealistic dream? A free trade area - yes. But all this political & cultural integration is doomed to eventual failure in my opinion.

Update: Just read your last 2 extra sentences. "GB wanted to save it's unique life style, as if that was ever threatened by the EU. GB wanted it's independence from the EU and the rest of planet earth. Let GB now also pay the price tag all by it self. "

Totally disagree old chap. The EU working time directive will/has put alot of transport companies out of business. Others just tell lies. It is a blatant piece of social engineering aimed at forcing a way of life on you. Some like to work hard & enjoy it. Others do not, we're all different. The EU is fast becoming an unstoppable dictatorship, probably the most expensive in history. We can pick up our own tab thank you..... While Holland etc.... can pay for all the others who won't?

Last edited by alandoug; Dec 12th 2008 at 5:42 pm. Reason: To add something
Old Dec 12th 2008, 6:27 pm

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Dutchie wrote: "I fear the price tag it will cost the EU to reunite a stuburn GB back into it's league's. A place, in my humble opinion, it no longer deserves."

You missed my original inference.... The first "GB" was the country the second "GB" Gordon Brown.

Question is: Does GB really want it as well?

I think if a referendum was held in the UK over EU membership, we'd be out. Your opinion reflects that of many in the EU I believe. Norway does well outside the EU, why can't we?

Another interesting point you might like to consider is, just what would happen in Holland if you guys were given a choice on EU membership? I've spent alot of time in your country & I reckon you'd be out along with us!!

As to the cost of getting HMS GB back in the club..... What about Italy, Greece & Spain. Not to mention our new found friends from the East? Don't you think the EU in its present form is an unrealistic dream? A free trade area - yes. But all this political & cultural integration is doomed to eventual failure in my opinion.

Update: Just read your last 2 extra sentences. "GB wanted to save it's unique life style, as if that was ever threatened by the EU. GB wanted it's independence from the EU and the rest of planet earth. Let GB now also pay the price tag all by it self. "

Totally disagree old chap. The EU working time directive will/has put alot of transport companies out of business. Others just tell lies. It is a blatant piece of social engineering aimed at forcing a way of life on you. Some like to work hard & enjoy it. Others do not, we're all different. The EU is fast becoming an unstoppable dictatorship, probably the most expensive in history. We can pick up our own tab thank you..... While Holland etc.... can pay for all the others who won't?
Hi Alandoug,

I guess if you and me ever sat down at a table and talked politics we'd never come to an agreement. You being a UK national, arguing on behalf of your country's welfare, me doing the same for mine. I don't agree with you on the comment that if given a chance, Holland would opt for leaving the Eu. A lot of countries together forming "one" has changed a lot of opinions here in Holland throughout the years.

But I can understand where the feeling "unstoppable dictatorship" comes from. Although I don't agree with it. With the EU fastly becoming the 4th economic power on this planet, I can understand the UK's feeling about it. Sure things have changed, sure the forming of the EU has caused companies to go under. And if I see the effects of a weakening Pound against the Euro it worries me. I to run a one man company and am struggling to survive. It's "we can pick our own tab" that worries me, a lot to be frank with you. Because in all honesty I don't think the UK can, and that's where the EU will be pulled in at. If going under where the correct words to describe it? Maybe not.

Anyhow I didn't mean to insult you, that was the last thing on my wish list to do. We indeed are all different, are all unique in our own ways. I think that's the foundation that makes the EU so strong. And taking America, Russia and China into consideration, and I mean the long term effects of these economic super powers, only a strong and unified EU will survive that. I think in any civilized country, and I do consider the UK to be one, the will to let one's cultural inheritance survive will always be there. It will always be an everlasting struggle. But to go so far as to call it a dictatorship in creation? No...
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dutchie,
Dictatorship? Yes, I genuinely believe that is the way its going.

I was an owner/driver with my own truck for 18 years. I worked with Dutch & Scandanavian people, some bad, most good. The Dutch drivers were like me, they worked damn hard in the face of evermore regulation & interference from EU central. The WTD finished many of us, you not allowed to work hard enough. Period. You either ignore it & take the risks or stop.

I came upon this website researching a trip to Canada with a view to working there as a truck driver. I'm going over for interviews next month, with a view to working there asap afterwards. The EU has made it impossible for me to work in the face of Eastern competition, now fully legalised. I will pay my taxes there & probably eventually live there when my wife is allowed to work there as well (this can take over a year) . She is involved in child care & education. We are both qualified people, I also have my City & Guilds for mechanical engineering. As do many of the Dutch drivers.
There are many out there already, working in the transport industry. Some are Dutch who have gone for the same reasons as myself. Continual interference & legislation that drives you under. The EU should hang its head in shame. Hard work is not rewarded.

EU? You can keep it.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:09 pm
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

Dutchie just doesn't get it. The reason that GB is intriniscally eurosceptic, is because the people of my country, for all their faults, are inherently DEMOCRATIC. To us the freedom to choose those who make your laws, and the right to call them to account is absolutely fundamental.

You insult my country when you state we still "dream of being a world power". Where is your evidence for this? The fight in Afghanistan? Shaky ground mate. Of all NATO countries in the EU, it's the Dutch who are contributing most out there. And nobody here approves of Blair's adventure in Iraq.

A few years ago, German reporter Hans-Martin Tillack was effective in exposing Eurostat scandal, writing his successive findings of massive EU fraud in "Stern" magazine. He uncovered "a vast enterprise for looting community funds".

Subsequently Tillack was arrested by Belgian police at the instigation of the EU Commission. His Brussels flat was raided, his cellphone and computer were seized in order to identify & nail his sources within the EU Commission.

When he took the case to the European Court, they ruled in favour of the EU. As he so aptly put it: "Now they can do whatever they want. They are answerable to no-one".

Tillack is just one more casualty in the fight for Democracy in the EUSSR. Your own countryman, Paul Van Buitenen, wrote "Blowing The Whistle" describing the fascist police state methods used by the EU Commission against him when he tried to investigate fraud and corruption.

Danish accountant Marta Andreasen had a similar experience, when exposing fraud. She was supended by Commissioner Kinnock, disciplined, and finally sacked.

A couple of years ago, the French and Dutch people were uniquely able to vote on proposals by the EU political class, on the Constitutional/Lisbon Treaty. The French voted NO by nearly 60%, and your own people voted NO by an even bigger margin. But the EUSSR cannot accept the democratic decisions of the people can it? They cook up Constitutional/Lisbon Mk II, which Giscard d'Estaing ( and everyone else ) avows is the same Treaty, and ignore you Dutch. You like this treatment, I presume. Nice?

Now the Irish are being subject to the same arrogant trampling of Democracy by the EU political class. having rejected Constitutional/Lisbon Mk II, they have to vote again. This is a technique that even Stalin never dreamed up: give the people a referendum, and if they vote "No", then wait a year, and get them to resit, with threats and promises. NEVER EVER accept "NO". Better still, don't offer the people the chance to vote at all. Keep everything above their heads, in the hands of the Political Class.

But if you are an ideologist, a true believer, then for you the end justifies the means, and the disappearance of democracy and accountability means nothing. "After all, we have the EU parliament" you will say. The Soviet Union also had a Parliament, but it was little more than window dressing.

If you want EU to be a dictatorship, where those at the top cannot be removed from office, and cannot be called to account, fine, but don't insult my country if we cherish democracy and accountability. It is our tradition, our heritage. My own Uncle (who I never knew) gave his life, along with many others who shed blood to preserve democracy in Europe. Maybe that's why we treasure it so much.

Last edited by Starseed; Dec 12th 2008 at 7:14 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 7:26 pm

Hi Dutchie,
Dictatorship? Yes, I genuinely believe that is the way its going.

I was an owner/driver with my own truck for 18 years. I worked with Dutch & Scandanavian people, some bad, most good. The Dutch drivers were like me, they worked damn hard in the face of evermore regulation & interference from EU central. The WTD finished many of us, you not allowed to work hard enough. Period. You either ignore it & take the risks or stop.

I came upon this website researching a trip to Canada with a view to working there as a truck driver. I'm going over for interviews next month, with a view to working there asap afterwards. The EU has made it impossible for me to work in the face of Eastern competition, now fully legalised. I will pay my taxes there & probably eventually live there when my wife is allowed to work there as well (this can take over a year) . She is involved in child care & education. We are both qualified people, I also have my City & Guilds for mechanical engineering. As do many of the Dutch drivers.
There are many out there already, working in the transport industry. Some are Dutch who have gone for the same reasons as myself. Continual interference & legislation that drives you under. The EU should hang its head in shame. Hard work is not rewarded.

EU? You can keep it.
Hi Alandoug,

I remember a 19 year old kid, me, that headed out to Canada a long time ago. A one way ticket, and about 76 Canadian Dollars in his pocket. All I had, and an Uncle living there. His first words? "Are you completely nuts young man?!?!?" Canada? In your line of work? Go for it, UK and European drivers are highly respected there for their knowledge and work ethics. I don't have a hat on, but hat off to you. And that out of respect. And yes, I know what cheap, unfair competition means. I saw it happen when East Germany became Germany. I saw it happen with the huge influx of Polish people as well. I guess the Turks will be next one day.

But call me an idiot, call me Dutch, I still believe in a unified Europe. To be run over by Americans, Chinese or even worse Russians? I'd fight against that until the last man standing. The only way to survive. And like you? I'll be leaving soon as well. Dubai scares the living daylights out of me at the moment. So my hopes are on South America. Regulations and interferences? I got used to that. It's the 120+ hour work weeks, and the fact one isn't allowed to earn a single penny more for it is what is driving me away from Holland.

I've worked at the edges of society to long I guess, and feel like a fish in the water there. But I can close this one man Limited any day, so it's a waiting game for me. I do hope you'll find your "home away from home" in Canada. As for what I can read? You sure have the qualifications for it. I really do wish you the very, very best of luck

Dutchie
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

aitchi21 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow how funny a guy asks a question on dutch ladys and the conversation flies off into euro and dollar, put a smile on my face for today