Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Question for single expat guys...

Question for single expat guys...

Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

SunKing968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for single expat guys...

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could give me some honest feedback on how most Dutch women react to anglo expat guys?

Yes, I know there are always exceptions in every country etc., but I'm just wondering what the majority are like (it always comes down to percentages..). Are the (urban) Dutch more multi-cultural than most nationalities, a bit more open-minded perhaps?

In Germany, for example, my expat friends and I have found most (not every single one, I know) German girls to be quite ethnocentric. They are generally not keen on dating anglo expat guys and speaking English for hours on end, even if you are beginning to study their language, that's not good enough for them (There are other reasons too). All of my friends and I ended up dating girls from other regions instead whilst there.

So how would you rate the Dutch in that sense, for a single guy who has no prior knowledge of the language and would just begin studying it upon arrival? Are you finding it hard to assimilate? And is there a bit of a "Prague syndrome" in Amsterdam, where decades of invasion by idiotic stag partiers from abroad have made people wary of English-speaking expat guys?

Any honest comments would be much appreciated. I'm just trying to make the right decision on where I will move next, and my social life/dating life are paramount to me.

Thanks!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for single expat guys...

Originally Posted by SunKing968
Hi there,

I was wondering if you could give me some honest feedback on how most Dutch women react to anglo expat guys?

Yes, I know there are always exceptions in every country etc., but I'm just wondering what the majority are like (it always comes down to percentages..). Are the (urban) Dutch more multi-cultural than most nationalities, a bit more open-minded perhaps?

In Germany, for example, my expat friends and I have found most (not every single one, I know) German girls to be quite ethnocentric. They are generally not keen on dating anglo expat guys and speaking English for hours on end, even if you are beginning to study their language, that's not good enough for them (There are other reasons too). All of my friends and I ended up dating girls from other regions instead whilst there.

So how would you rate the Dutch in that sense, for a single guy who has no prior knowledge of the language and would just begin studying it upon arrival? Are you finding it hard to assimilate? And is there a bit of a "Prague syndrome" in Amsterdam, where decades of invasion by idiotic stag partiers from abroad have made people wary of English-speaking expat guys?

Any honest comments would be much appreciated. I'm just trying to make the right decision on where I will move next, and my social life/dating life are paramount to me.

Thanks!
If you are that worried, then take an English girl with you. ;-))
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:48 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

What a strange question...answer from an Anglo Dutch couple!!!

Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
What a strange question...answer from an Anglo Dutch couple!!!

Ah, how sweet.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Kynk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask. I wish I could help you but I'm an English woman living with a Faroese man so I'm not much use

As far as I have observed, Dutch women seem to be hesitant when getting involved with foreign men but it's certainly not out of the question. Our accents alone give us a certain mystique and we're not all considered wild drunks.
If you behave like a gent then you're halfway there with any woman.

Good luck and I will ask the opinion of my Dutch girlfriends
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:37 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

what kind of weird question is that...
if you are an ok guy you'll find girls that will be interested in you, no matter where you are from...if you are an annoying tosser you might have a bit of a hard time...just like anywhere else

oh and there is no such thing as 'the Dutch woman'...
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:27 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
if you are an ok guy you'll find girls that will be interested in you, no matter where you are from...if you are an annoying tosser you might have a bit of a hard time...just like anywhere else

I dont agree with you completely. Not every girl you meet is prepared to start a relationship with somebody from a foreign country.

I moved to Holland as a single guy when I was 21, and never had much luck with relationships in the first few years. I had done a bit of modelling as teenager, and definitely had my share of relationships in the UK before emigrating so that wasn't the problem,and I am/was definitely (IMO) not a dickhead that didnt integrate. I had plenty of Dutch mates, but I found things only really changed when I started speaking Dutch properly after about 4 years.

I then spoke fluent, almost accent free Dutch, and that marked a distinct change for in my private life.

I do think though, that it can also depend on where you in Holland, and in which branch of business you work in. I worked in the cut flower export trade, and living in the "westland" is a different type of "Dutch girl" that you tend to meet.More earthy but not so fluent in English (at the time)

Whatever happens, as a single guy in Holland (wherever it is) you will still have a great time.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:40 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SunKing968
Hi there,

Thanks!
Counter question? Would you as a male survive them? They can be real animals, be warned.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:42 pm

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Well... Well... A rare occasion indeed. The Grand Lady honors Holland with an electronic visit. Okay, born and raised in Rotterdam, I'll forgive you.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:35 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Well... Well... A rare occasion indeed. The Grand Lady honors Holland with an electronic visit. Okay, born and raised in Rotterdam, I'll forgive you.
and it will remain rare...can't believe some of the stuff that is posted in here...best to stay away I reckon...
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:15 pm

and it will remain rare...can't believe some of the stuff that is posted in here...best to stay away I reckon...
As if the ME section is any better. Jeez... You really have changed haven't you? What happened to the old Matahari? Gone forever?

Dutchie
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:20 pm
hmmmm...nice

As if the ME section is any better. Jeez... You really have changed haven't you? What happened to the old Matahari? Gone forever?

Dutchie
you misunderstand me...I mean things they say about Holland...winds me up...but no point in arguing with them...so I keep away...makes life easier
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:23 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

you misunderstand me...I mean things they say about Holland...winds me up...but no point in arguing with them...so I keep away...makes life easier
You think this is bad read the one about Dutch food...everything is better from there own home land, but they still want to live in The Netherlands.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
You think this is bad read the one about Dutch food...everything is better from there own home land, but they still want to live in The Netherlands.
Yeah... Because very soon the UK Pound and the US Dollar will have one thing in common. Both will look like cheap toilet paper. Can't wait for the day I see a Euro coin with on one side "The UK Queen" and the other side "One Euro". It's going to happen peeps. If only Charlie Brown... Oops PM G. Brown would start using his common sense. I can remember the UK Iron Virgin, a.k.a. Misses T saying never ever.... But the UK Pound is starting to look like the Titanic, that ship ofcourse could also never sink right?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah... Because very soon the UK Pound and the US Dollar will have one thing in common. Both will look like cheap toilet paper. Can't wait for the day I see a Euro coin with on one side "The UK Queen" and the other side "One Euro". It's going to happen peeps. If only Charlie Brown... Oops PM G. Brown would start using his common sense. I can remember the UK Iron Virgin, a.k.a. Misses T saying never ever.... But the UK Pound is starting to look like the Titanic, that ship ofcourse could also never sink right?
Your wish will happen at the end of this month I reckon. Titanic? At least that hit an iceberg giving it some excuse. Where did GB make the fatal mistake? Well GB himself ought to be able to answer that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.