Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Oi!!! Hands off my Shredded Wheat!!

Oi!!! Hands off my Shredded Wheat!!

Old Jan 12th 2021, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Oi!!! Hands off my Shredded Wheat!!

Besides Covid, there is the other matter of Brexit of course and seeing how this all takes shape now that we are well into January.

The Dutch as usual are taking it all literally and confiscating ham and cheese sandwiches at the border amongst other things...
As if all the cheese and ham in supermarkets has suddenly become contaminated over night, with the bulk of "Dutch" cheese produced in Germany..and a lot of Ham coming from Denmark..

Completely ridiculous. Before EU and also in the early EEC days it was permissible to bring food for your own consumption.

I wonder if there is a minister looking at this?

Perhaps a boycott of EU Ham and Cheese would put a stop to this.. as well as the "BRITISH" Covid that we are accused of!!!

Old Jan 12th 2021, 9:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oi!!! Hands off my Shredded Wheat!!

Are you being serious? Ham and cheese at Albert Heijn are quite good. Who cares where it comes from?
Old Jan 12th 2021, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

To look at what exactly ??? To beg EU to break its custom rule for non-EU country? Don't be ridiculous!
It is british covid variant mutation! It's UK that discovered it and reported it to WHO! Get out of your bitter denial.

You reap what you saw.
Gift that keeps giving. etc.

Old Jan 12th 2021, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually talking about people returning to Europe from UK having food confiscated by NL border controls, not only British nationals but also truck drivers retuning home.

It was always OK to bring stuff with you for your own use...now it's gone a bit crazy.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
I am actually talking about people returning to Europe from UK having food confiscated by NL border controls, not only British nationals but also truck drivers retuning home.

It was always OK to bring stuff with you for your own use...now it's gone a bit crazy.
Custom rules apply when travel is in either direction and to ANY national.
This has nothing about being UK national, but about coming from/going to non-EU country.

What was in past is irrelevant, UK is not in Customs Union.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 9:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It hasn't gone crazy, we simply now have to follow the same rules as every other non-EU country in the world. They're not going to make an exemption just for one country, and why should they? The UK has left the EU, and that will bring many changes, this is just one of them.

Pretty sure ministers have other slightly more pressing issues than worrying about Gary the trucker not being able to bring his cheese and pickle bap in to France.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Brexiteers often used to say to Remainers "You lost now suck it up"
Now we Remainers can say to Brexiteers "You won now you suck it up"
They were told what would happen and now it is they do not like it
Which just goes to prove that they did not understand what they were voting for
And the price of fish in the UK has fallen through the floor because they cannot export it from the UK to the EU in a timely fashion so they are desperately trying to offload it in the UK but of course if it is not cod in batter forget it
And the fisher folk voted for Brexit
Old Jan 13th 2021, 2:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Please do not make this discussion about leavers and remainers or the thread will become contentious and the interesting discussion on what is occurring will be lost.

Rosemary
Old Jan 13th 2021, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

For example -

The Biosecurity Act 2015 requires that all imports of food comply with the biosecurity conditions for their import. Restrictions apply to many raw foods and certain processed food brought through the airport or mailed to Australia for private use. The following items are restricted:
  • eggs and egg products​
  • dairy products
  • uncanned meat
  • seeds and nuts
  • fresh fruit and vegetables
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

But this thread would not exist if there was No Brexit
Now I do not know and do not care if or how calman voted in the referendum but if you look at the British Right Wing press you will see Brexiteer MPs going berserk at the EU enforcing the rules either on entry to the Continent or in NI They should take responsibility for their decisions Oh and the UK fisheries minister has admitted that she never even read the Brexit deal not even the bit relating to her area of responsibility ie fish so this is what I mean when I say that Brexiteers did not understand what they were voting for It is fair comment and pointing out that people must understand that there are consequences to the decisions they make
Old Jan 15th 2021, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Now I do not know and do not care if or how calman voted in the referendum but if you look at the British Right Wing press you will see Brexiteer MPs going berserk at the EU enforcing the rules either on entry to the Continent or in NI They should take responsibility for their decisions Oh and the UK fisheries minister has admitted that she never even read the Brexit deal not even the bit relating to her area of responsibility ie fish so this is what I mean when I say that Brexiteers did not understand what they were voting for It is fair comment and pointing out that people must understand that there are consequences to the decisions they make
I do hope that you will receive a new . key for your keyboard as birthday present. Without it are your posts much more difficult to read.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
(SushiFan beat me to it!) Wasn’t correct punctuation mandated on all web forums as part of the WA……
Seriously though LVC, I enjoy your posts but usually find them somewhat confusing to read. Curse those smartphones with tiny keys, especially with large fingers.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 15th 2021 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually I was one of the many prevented from voting for Brexit. After 15 years abroad etc...

My reason for posting was the pettiness of it all after we Brits were promised a 'level playing field'... now they are even arguing about the vaccines...pffffffff...

I wonder if I take a ham sandwich from France to England it will be confiscated?...

Old Jan 28th 2021, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I was one of the many prevented from voting for Brexit. After 15 years abroad etc...

My reason for posting was the pettiness of it all after we Brits were promised a 'level playing field'... now they are even arguing about the vaccines...pffffffff...

I wonder if I take a ham sandwich from France to England it will be confiscated?...
I very much doubt if it would be confiscated in Kent.
Spoiler: