Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Negatives of living in the Netherlands?

Negatives of living in the Netherlands?

Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negatives of living in the Netherlands?

Originally Posted by gelato
Sounds like opening a decent, not to expensive restaurant could be a good business idea then! Too bad we have no experience in that area.

That seems odd and very xenophobic that the Dutch would still be angry at the Germans 60+ yrs after the war. I've spent some time in Poland and they weren't so narrow minded. My Polish friends said 'hey most Germans weren't even born during WWII'. The French seem ok with the Germans too (I have several French friends who have lived in Germany and vice versa) and they were also occupied during WWII. Strange.

If you like 'walking' and getting out into nature you'd love Australia. Here in Europe there's not much nature left.
From my experience (20 years in holland as dutch, 6 years in the UK). The english ahve more issues with the Germans than the Dutch do. Especially the younger generation, I mean, its 60 years ago. Give it a break already.

Also, for a good vegetarian restaurant - bla bla in Rotterdam.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Caitlin - will have to try that restaurant next time we're in Rotterdam. We used to have a fab vegetarian restaurant near us in Rome (Arancia Blu) but it moved far away recently unfortunately.

No idea how the British perceive Germans but that's a real shame if they have a negative view from the war. As you say, it really is ridiculous after 60 years. My dad is married to a Japanese woman and I don't think she gets any flak re WWII. She wasn't even born then! Maybe I should ask her...
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:37 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gelato
We're also making a decision about whether our daughter will be Australian or Dutch.
Why can't she be both?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Family S is an unknown quantity at this point

Negatives.. I could write a book about it!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Ragga1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Disclamer: below is not the average response, I love Amsterdam in general. But I can't help myself...too hilarious now... in an eyewear/sunglasses shop:

Me: "Hi, I really don't know what kind of glasses to get" (smiling)
Saleswoman: "I don't know either"
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

To be honest??
If you fit the "normal" curve and/or you fit in one of the "Dutch boxes".
You'll have a blast.

But if you don't fit in the boxes and you need help?
It's an awful country.
If you have anything that's not in the DSV-IV?
You don't get help.
Does your family crash because of it??
You don't get sick-leave.
Does your child crashes in school?
You can't keep him home.
Home (school) is illegal.
If your 13 year old is suicidal because of school?
And you keep them home?
Your kids are taken away from you.
Are you in pain every day, but it's not in the DSM-IV?
You don't get help. you have to go to work.

So if you fit the boxes, and you're average??
Have a blast!!

But if you(r) (kids) are gifted, spatial learner or have fibromyalgia?
Please choose an other country.....
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:32 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family S
Negatives.. I could write a book about it!
I lived there 21 years, and there were far more positives than negatives.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:49 am
Just Joined

I live here for 33 years.
But My guess is that you fit in the boxes.
Why did you move to Australia then??
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:24 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I live here for 33 years.
But My guess is that you fit in the boxes.
Why did you move to Australia then??
Because that is where life took me.

21 years in the UK, 21 years in Holland, now its Oz. and as it turns out, I now live in a small town of about 3500 people of which over 50% are Dutch or of Dutch origin.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Sounds like a great life.
(We can't wait to get to OZ, we're waiting for the SMP's)

It's not the Dutch people that make the problems.
It's the social laws that make it like hell for us.
A child has to got to school, even if there no good school that fits it's needs.
If you have a condition that's not in the great book of conditions (DSM-IV), than you have to pay everything you need to get better yourselves.
With that condition you don't get sick-leave, you just lose your job and haven go on welfare and even there it's a struggle to keep it.
If your kid has a condition that's not in "the book" they crash in school, they have to stay in school and the therapy you have to pay for yourself.
Ï know parents with depressed 12 year old kids that are in financial problems because of this. Or kids on medications they don't need, because the professionals just picked a disease that was in the great book.
And the parents think that the professionals know best.
If you keep him/her at home to make them better, eventually your kids are taken away from you and you'll end up in jail.
And that really happens over here.

But if you don't have these kind of problems over here and you don't mind that your neighbour buys a bigger car the week after you bought yours.
You'll have a blast!!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:33 am
Going for a ride

Sounds like a great life.
(We can't wait to get to OZ, we're waiting for the SMP's)

and you don't mind that your neighbour buys a bigger car the week after you bought yours.
You'll have a blast!!
Where we lived in Holland it was the same in the whole estate (but I get the impression a lot of places in the UK are the same)

I had a Peugeot 206 & the wife had a Daihatsu Terios and we looked very out of place amongst all the BMW X5's, porches, hummers & Merc's

We didnt even have a boat, horse or holiday house. We were real poor people.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:39 am
Going for a ride

[QUOTE=Family S;8780023]It's not the Dutch people that make the problems.
It's the social laws that make it like hell for us.
A child has to got to school, even if there no good school that fits it's needs.
If you have a condition that's not in the great book of conditions (DSM-IV), than you have to pay everything you need to get better yourselves.
With that condition you don't get sick-leave, you just lose your job and haven go on welfare and even there it's a struggle to keep it.
If your kid has a condition that's not in "the book" they crash in school, they have to stay in school and the therapy you have to pay for yourself.
Ï know parents with depressed 12 year old kids that are in financial problems because of this. Or kids on medications they don't need, because the professionals just picked a disease that was in the great book.
And the parents think that the professionals know best.
If you keep him/her at home to make them better, eventually your kids are taken away from you and you'll end up in jail.
And that really happens over here.

QUOTE]

We were lucky to have a "normal" life in Holland, so can't comment too much on the troubles you guys seem to have had (and it sounds like you have had it rough). The Dutch system of rules & regs can be very frustrating sometimes, but the Health & Education services were IMO always of a very high standard. I did have the advantage of my wife being Dutch, so she was aways the one doing the organizing of medical visits & schools.

Its for sure far better than down under !!

So you guys are looking to head down under?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:59 am
Just Joined

You're right, we have it rough.

Yep we're heading down under.
Just waiting for the SMP's and the elections.
Hopefully we can move there before things really get out of hands over here.
Maybe we'll move to Belgium before we head over to OZ if the visa is to late.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:37 am
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say Dutch weather is slightly worse than the UK. The average temperature is a couple of degrees lower and the average rainfall is similar, if not even higher.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:57 pm
tyr
Just Joined

tyr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by COF
I'd say Dutch weather is slightly worse than the UK. The average temperature is a couple of degrees lower and the average rainfall is similar, if not even higher.
The Dutch weather is MUCH worse than the UK. Its weird UK has the stereotype for always raining when its really quite a dry country. The east coast at least. Someone from Liverpool may say different.

Also a bit of a problem in Amsterdam at least is that everyone is on their guard for tourists. They're used to foreigners swarming over for drugs and sex so they're a bit closed in against those people. I came to quite hate tourists whilst I was there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.