Moved to holland. HELP!!!

Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Becky92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved to holland. HELP!!!

Hello everyone.

I have been in holland for just over a month now with my boyfriend.
I am from the uk and seen as my Dutch isn't amazing yet I am finding it difficult to make new friends :'(
I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation and has moved to holland from the uk and would like to chat about their experience and maybe go for a coffee. My boyfriend is amazing but I just think it would be nice to have other people too especially people in the same situation as me. I would just really like to meet people going through the same as me and talk about it together and hopefully become good friends.

Feel free to chat to me it would be nice to hear from you
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moved to holland. HELP!!!

Hi Becky,

Welcome to Holland! Where abouts are you living? I'm in Leeuwarden myself.

I'd recommend checking out some facebook groups too - Expats in Holland, Living with a Dutchie are good ones to find some people to chat too, maybe there is also one local for your area (along the lines of Expats in Groningen).

If you have any questions about life here as an expat this is a great place to ask them!

Stevie
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi Stevie

I am in Enschede

Thank you for the reply Yeah I will look at facebook groups its a good idea
Have you always lived in holland?

Becky
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Becky,

I'm from the UK also, i moved here 19 months ago. shame that Enschede is far away from Leeuwarden otherwise we could have had coffee!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Oh right. When you moved to holland what was it like for you? Have you made some new friends here? Yeah my boyfriend did say it was quite far away from me that is a shame as would of been nice to have coffee and share experiences.

Becky
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

Hey Becky, I left you a message in another thread, but I will move to Zwolle in July (about an hour away).
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Adriane T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Becky,

Welcome in Holland!

Maybe this can help you?

Kind regards Adriane.

http://www.goethe-verlag.com/tests/EN/EN.HTM
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

mhairi.mcghee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Becky,
I actually used to live in Enschede about five years ago! I was studying at the AKI - the art school - for five months. I really enjoyed Enschede as a student. I returned to Holland last year and now live in a smaller place called Zeist (just outside of Utrecht) and I have to say that living here and NOT being at a university is much harder to make friends etc. What is it that you are doing there? Do you have a job? If you want to meet up some time then let me know. It would be great to swap some stories!

Mhairi (from Scotland)
x
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mhairi.mcghee
Hi Becky,
I actually used to live in Enschede about five years ago! I was studying at the AKI - the art school - for five months. I really enjoyed Enschede as a student. I returned to Holland last year and now live in a smaller place called Zeist (just outside of Utrecht) and I have to say that living here and NOT being at a university is much harder to make friends etc. What is it that you are doing there? Do you have a job? If you want to meet up some time then let me know. It would be great to swap some stories!

Mhairi (from Scotland)
x
Hey mhairi

At the moment I am taking Dutch lessons to be able to speak basic Dutch to then get a job. I am not able to work yet as my Dutch is not good enough so no place will employ me.

I have just moved into a lovely studio flat with my boyfriend and now I am trying to push my Dutch so that I can get a job as soon as possible. Yes I would love to meet up and share stories sometime
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Becky, where are you taking lessons? Is it a public school? Two years ago I got my application to tale lessons refused.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

jason1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day Becky!

If you guys are ever around Utrecht, please feel welcome to pop into Kampong Cricket Club! Aside from a familiar sport, the facilities/atmosphere are really homely, and there is a great mix of aussies, south africans, english and dutchies. We have both a men's and women's program so feel free to also jump in and have a go!

I've been here for quite a few years. Was easier when I did two years in the UK... but Utrecht is great as its a vibrant city and the club has been pretty good at blending in too.

I know in June/July we have plenty of UK teams playing a tournament for the whole week. Feel free for both of you to drop me a message! Hope to see you down at the club this summer! even if its just to have a cider in the sun!

Jason
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gioppino
Becky, where are you taking lessons? Is it a public school? Two years ago I got my application to tale lessons refused.
I'm taking lessons in enschede (my town) it's through a forum I joined and they do lessons in uteract (not sure how to spell it exactly sorry) and one of the guys who does the lessons there said about doing it here and I said yes please do as I want to learn Dutch and so he did and now we have a full class and we have had 5 lessons :-)
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jason1980
G'day Becky!

If you guys are ever around Utrecht, please feel welcome to pop into Kampong Cricket Club! Aside from a familiar sport, the facilities/atmosphere are really homely, and there is a great mix of aussies, south africans, english and dutchies. We have both a men's and women's program so feel free to also jump in and have a go!

I've been here for quite a few years. Was easier when I did two years in the UK... but Utrecht is great as its a vibrant city and the club has been pretty good at blending in too.

I know in June/July we have plenty of UK teams playing a tournament for the whole week. Feel free for both of you to drop me a message! Hope to see you down at the club this summer! even if its just to have a cider in the sun!

Jason

Hello Jason

Thank you for the information. We will try to get over to you sometime as it sounds a nice trip out however at the moment we have just moved into our own house so money is really tight at the moment :-/

Hope to see or hear from you again soon though :-)
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Becky, technically Enschede is not Holland, so the title of your thread should be "Moved to the Netherlands".

Holland is the flatland reclaimed from the sea, which comprises the two regions Nord Holland and Zuid Holland.

I just wanted to be pedantic as I had nothing to do. Ignore this.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

cat9889 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Becky =] Im moving to near Enschede to be with my bf in August and will be in the same situation! How ya gettin on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.