Looking to move in with partner

Old Jan 9th 2019, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

WhiteLite is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Looking to move in with partner

Hey everyone, I'm currently looking at moving to the Netherlands to live with my boyfriend of 5 years. At the moment I'm still learning dutch - for the past four months I've been setting aside two or three hours a day and I'm going to be attending a Dutch summer school for intensive learning to get me to an adequate standard. I've been searching on LinkedIn and various other job sites for positions - A few have come up that I'd be interested in, but I haven't put forward any applications yet. I don't fall under being a highly skilled worker or eligible for a blue card. I've worked mostly in administrative roles so I'm not going to be earning a huge amount. My partner is the higher earner. My current work contract also runs out in August.

I understand I'll need a BSN number, and my partner has documentation of his living residence that we can both use. He doesn't have his own place just yet, but he's earning more than enough to get a place soon. At the moment we're both still living with our parents and he's looking to get a place in August.

I was considering getting in contact with the gemeente of his local area and arranging an appointment - registering a BSN number and getting any other documents out of the way before March. I understand in March that if brexit goes through I would then have to apply for a residency and work permit, as well as go through a standard test to gain entry, which I won't be passing with my level of dutch currently.

I'm not too knowledgeable about this and I've just pieced this together from forums - but could I technically visit for a week in February, register for a BSN number and provide all documents and such - then head back to the UK to continue working until August when my current work contract runs out, before moving over to the Netherlands and going from there?
Old Jan 9th 2019, 9:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move in with partner

Er, have you heard of "Brexit"? If so, has it occurred to you how it may impact you, personally? .... If you don't move before Brexit happens, expected near the end of March, you may end up with a massive headache, meaning moving at all may require much paperwork, and quite possibly a marriage certificate!
Old Jan 9th 2019, 11:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Er. Let's not be prematurely alarmist .

Let's see what those living in this area have to say .
Old Jan 9th 2019, 11:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by WhiteLite
Hey everyone, ]
Welcome to BE WhiteLite.

Hopefully those living in this area will be along soon to give some helpful guidance.

All the best.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a lawyer, so please feel free to contact the IND if needed for clarification.

If you are not here and registered at the town hall on 29th March or before, you will need to check the IND website to find out which visa you will need to apply for. You already plan to get here and register before that date.

In the event of a No Deal: You will then be automatically included in the right of UK citizens to stay, and will receive a paper document which will act as your temporary residence document. Thankfully, no inburgering/language requirement will be required (for those of us here before this date!!) and we will all slowly be called in to get a new Perm. Residence card within 18 months, or if you don't have 5 years here, then a regular Residence card while you build up to 5 years. You will be able to work visa-free and your legal status will not require a continued relationship with your boyfriend - you will be here in your own right (that is very important to know, in the event that you break up in this time, you don't then lose your right to stay). I have posted a letter that we will all receive this month from the Dutch govt in a thread I started (Embassy) which you could read.

The best option would be No Brexit, in which case we retain ALL the rights we have as EU citizens. Fingers crossed

In the event of a Deal, we remain EU citizens for another 18 months, and you can apply for a EU residence card as we can do now although it's not compulsory to have this card at the current time. This will be exchanged at some point for whatever they then replace it with, which I would expect won't be too different to the above, as the plans have been in motion since January last year, according to the Dutch civil servants we met at the information evenings.

If you leave it until after this date to move here... you will be a third country national. You will need a reason (visa) to live here and most likely would be a relationship visa. This will require lots of red tape, the inburgering requirement within a time limit (5 years?), etc, and a higher cost. The list of visas are all on the IND website.

EDIT: My husband disagrees with my point on no language requirement - he says that is only for people already here for 5 years who will move straight to the Permanent Residence permit, not the regular residence permit. I would check this as sometimes he's actually been right - not that I'd admit it

Last edited by Red_Wine_Fairy; Jan 10th 2019 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
If you leave it until after this date to move here... you will be a third country national. You will need a reason (visa) to live here and most likely would be a relationship visa. This will require lots of red tape, the inburgering requirement within a time limit (5 years?), etc, and a higher cost.
This is what I'm trying to avoid!

And hey, thank you SO much for an in-depth response like that. That's so helpful to my situation. I just had two further questions - sorry for being a hassle!

1) You mentioned in the event of a deal, we still remain EU citizens for 18 months before that's completely final? So if I don't register at the town hall in February, does that mean I still technically get a further 18 months, with the same rights, to freely move into the Netherlands without a work permit?
2) Would I technically even be able to "early apply" for my BSN number? That is, going in February for a week, registering at the town hall and then moving back to the UK for a further 4 months before moving back? Once I've registered, do I have to reside within the country itself? Also - I assume the homeowner will have to be present with valid ID and the deed of purchase as proof?

Thank you for any help you can give me on this!
Old Jan 11th 2019, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

1) You mentioned in the event of a deal, we still remain EU citizens for 18 months before that's completely final? So if I don't register at the town hall in February, does that mean I still technically get a further 18 months, with the same rights, to freely move into the Netherlands without a work permit?
No - we will not be EU citizens. Please do read the last post in this topic - it tells it as we are going to hear it They are allowing people who are (or will be at 29 Feb) currently using their EU rights to live and work here the same rights as we currently have as EU citizens, and I think the period is less (15 or 16 months?). This is meant to be security for those with mortgages and jobs, and frankly, it's to ensure continuity not least for those Dutch businesses who have many non-Dutch staff. We won't have other rights we enjoy now such as freedom to live in other EU countries. Be wary of thinking you can register here then go back to the UK for a year uninterrupted - there are many other ways they can tell if you are resident here - the taxman here knows everything about you: don't underestimate that other countries systems/technology are as antiquated as the UK governments.

2) Would I technically even be able to "early apply" for my BSN number? That is, going in February for a week, registering at the town hall and then moving back to the UK for a further 4 months before moving back? Once I've registered, do I have to reside within the country itself?
Also - I assume the homeowner will have to be present with valid ID and the deed of purchase as proof?
You can apply as soon as you go to register - it should be automatic when you register at the Gemeente. You should register and reside, yes, but they aren't so naive as to expect people to have tied up all loose ends before coming - many travel back and forth for a few months. I would advise that you at least arrange Dutch health insurance so that you are on the radar (it's a requirement for everyone living here) as soon as you register, set up a bank account once you have the BSN. Four months isn't long. As for registering, a letter signed by the homeowner should be enough (they will have shown the deed when they registered, etc). Dutch systems are great, Dutch personnel are all over the scale: you can get a good one or a bad one who will demand all sorts of things you don't actually need. My advise would be to take a Dutch speaker. Passport, Birth Certificate, letter from the property owner, should be enough - that's all they asked from me (but that was many years ago now).
Old Jan 11th 2019, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Letter regarding residence in NL for those who have been here a while: (NO DEAL SCENARIO)

==

Subject British nationals residing in the Netherlands with a national

permanent residence permit (type II or IV)

Dear [name],

You are registered at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) as a (relative of a) British national residing in the Netherlands. The IND assesses all applications for residence permits by persons wanting to live in the Netherlands or wanting to acquire Dutch nationality.

This letter explains what Brexit will mean for you if there is no withdrawal agreement between the European Union (EU) and the United Kingdom (UK).

British nationals are no longer EU citizens as of 29 March 2019

On 29 March 2019, the UK will leave the EU. This is commonly known as Brexit. From that moment on you will no longer be (a relative of) an EU citizen.

Brexit does not affect your permanent right of residence

After Brexit, you are no longer (a relative of) an EU citizen. Still, Brexit does not affect your right of residence in the Netherlands. This is because you have a national permanent residence permit (type II or IV). On your residence document, you can see if your residence is permanent. At www.vreemdelingendocumenten.nl (only available in Dutch) you can see what the national permanent residence permit looks like.

If you have a permanent residence permit, you remain the right to reside, work and study in the Netherlands permanently. However, your residencedocument is valid for five years. That is why it includes an expiration date. You may apply for a new permanent residence document before the expiration date. This is also possible if the period of validity of your residence document has already expired. With a valid permanent residence document you can easily prove that you are allowed to reside, work and study in the Netherlands.

The conditions for an application for a new residence document are available at www.ind.nl/en with the query ‘renew’.

Directie Regulier Verblijf en Nederlanderschap

Postal address

Postbus 110
9560 AA TER APEL

www.ind.nl/Brexit www.government.nl/Brexit

T +31 (0)88 04 30410

Customer number

Pagina 1 van 2

You may keep your EU right of residence

It is possible that you have dual EU citizenship (for example, you have next to your British nationality another EU nationality). In that case you will keep your right of residence as an EU citizen after Brexit if you meet the EU residence requirements. You do not need to do anything further.

You keep your allowances

Are you currently entitled to health care allowance, childcare allowance, child- related budget and /or rent allowance? You will remain the rights to these allowances.

Ensure correct registration in the Personal Records Database (BRP) and apply for your DigiD
Make sure that your registration in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of your municipality is correct. This way you can easily be contacted by the government. At www.mijnoverheid.nl you can verify your registration at the municipality. For this, you need a DigiD, for which you can apply at www.digid.nl/en.

Do you have questions?

The latest information on Brexit is available at www.government.nl/Brexit and www.ind.nl/Brexit. At the latter you may also sign up for the Brexit newsletter for migrants.

Yours sincerely,

The general director of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service
Old Jan 11th 2019, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

NO DEAL SCENARIO: Those without permanent residence permit

==Subject British nationals residing in the Netherlands, without a national

permanent residence permit

Dear [name],

You are registered at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) as a (relative of a) British national residing in the Netherlands. The IND assesses all applications for residence permits by persons wanting to live in the Netherlands or wanting to acquire Dutch nationality.

This letter explains what Brexit will mean for you if there is no withdrawal agreement between the European Union (EU) and the United Kingdom (UK).

British nationals are no longer EU citizens as of 29 March 2019
On 29 March 2019, the UK will leave the EU. This is commonly known as Brexit. From that moment on you will no longer be (a relative of) an EU citizen. The Dutch government considers it important to regulate your stay after Brexit properly, also in case there is no withdrawal agreement between the EU and the UK.

You will keep your rights to residence, employment and study during the transition period
After Brexit, there will be a transition period in the Netherlands from 29 March 2019 until 1 July 2020. During the transition period, you will keep your rights to residence, employment and study in the Netherlands. This also applies when you are a relative of a British citizen and you do not have EU citizenship yourself. Before 29 March 2019, the IND will send you a temporary residence permit in the form of a letter. This letter will be the proof of your rights during the transition period. You do not need to take any action yourself.

After the transition period, you will need a residence permit
After this transition period, you will need a new national residence permit to prove your right of residence. You can qualify for a residence permit if you meet the conditions of residence that apply to EU citizens. You do not need to comply with any integration measures. With this residence permit, you are also entitled to work and study in the Netherlands. Your employer does not need to

Postal address

Postbus 110
9560 AA TER APEL

www.ind.nl/Brexit www.government.nl/Brexit

T +31 (0)88 04 30410

Customer number

[img]blob:https://britishexpats.com/32b34cc5-1...7-2728f7832832
Pagina 1 van 3

apply for a separate work permit for you. If you are a current or future student in the Netherlands, you will retain the rights to statutory tuition fees and student finance (‘studiefinanciering’). For this you must meet the remaining conditions for EU-citizens.

Please wait for an invitation letter from the IND and then submit an application
You are part of a large group of (relatives of) British citizens in the Netherlands who will need to apply for a residence permit. During the transition period, the IND will send you an invitation letter to apply for a residence permit. The IND will not send these invitations to everyone at the same time. The IND kindly asks you to wait for the invitation before submitting the application. This way your application can be processed in an orderly fashion. You do not need to submit the application earlier, as you will keep your rights to residence, employment and study during the transition period as explained above. You will receive the invitation letter no later than on 1 April 2020.

The fee involved in the application for this residence permit is the same for EU citizens applying for a residence document. At this moment the fee is € 57.

Do you already have an EU Permanent residence document? You will still need a new residence permit
Only (the relatives of) EU-citizens who want to live in the Netherlands on a permanent basis can apply for an EU Permanent residence document. Third country nationals need a national permanent residence permit for this. After 29 March 2019 you are no longer (a relative of) an EU citizen.

If you already have the EU Permanent residence document, you will still need a new national permanent residence permit after the transition period. You do not need to apply for this national permit. In your case, this new permanent residence permit is without charge. You will receive a letter from the IND requesting you to make an appointment to collect your new permanent residence permit at the IND desk at a later stage. Do not be concerned if your EU Permanent residence document expires after Brexit. In that case, all you have to do is await the IND letter.

Do you have a national temporary residence permit? You will be given the choice to submit an application
Do you already have a national temporary residence permit? With this permit, you are allowed to stay in the Netherlands after Brexit as long as it is valid and you meet the conditions. During the transition period you will also receive an invitation letter, because you have a choice. You may either stay here with the national temporary residence permit you have or apply for the residence permit to remain your rights to residence, employment, and study in the Netherlands as a (relative of a) British citizen after the transition period (see above).

You may keep your EU right of residence

It is possible that you have dual EU citizenship (for example, you have next to your British nationality another EU-nationality). In that case you will keep your right of residence as an EU citizen after Brexit if you meet the EU residence requirements. This means you do not need a national residence permit, and you do not need to do anything further.

Date

January 2019

Customer number

Pagina 2 van 3

After Brexit you can also have EU residence rights because you are staying in the Netherlands as a family member of an EU / EEA citizen or Swiss citizen.

You keep your allowances

Date

January 2019

Customer number

Are you currently entitled to health care allowance, childcare allowance, child- related budget and / or rent allowance? If you have a residence permit after 29 March 2019 and meet the other conditions, you will remain the rights to these allowances.

Ensure correct registration in the Personal Records Database (BRP) and apply for your DigiD
Make sure that your registration in the Personal Records Database (BRP) of your municipality is correct. This way you can easily be contacted by the government. At www.mijnoverheid.nl you can verify your registration at the municipality. For this, you need a DigiD, for which you can apply at www.digid.nl/en.

Do you have questions?

The latest information on Brexit is available at www.government.nl/Brexit and www.ind.nl/Brexit. At the latter you may also sign up for the Brexit newsletter for migrants. At www.government.nl/Brexit you can also find information about other topics that may be relevant to you.

Yours sincerely,
The general director of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service
Old Jun 5th 2019, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Hey there! Thank you so much for your help all these months ago, it was much appreciated. It's taken its sweet time but I've managed to register and apply for a BSN number, get a -job- out in the Netherlands, and my employer is going to be covering the costs of my travel and relocation. I should be living in the Netherlands by the end of this month. Thank you so much again for all your assistance with this!
Old Jun 6th 2019, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

congratulations! If theres any other questions you have once your here or in the process of moving here then go ahead and reach out to us here! there are a lot of experienced UK expats that have been through the same route!