Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to the Netherlands

Looking to move to the Netherlands

Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Fern385 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to the Netherlands

Hi, I'm currently a university student in the UK but am looking to move to the Netherlands ASAP after graduation next October. I have a few questions about moving there.

What's the best way to learn Dutch? I have started trying to teach myself but it's obviously proving a little bit difficult. Is it worth going on a 4/6 week intensive course in the Netherlands to learn or are there better ways? Unfortunately there are no Dutch tutors near me at all!

How would I go about moving there? This bit always confuses me, do I find a job and then a place to stay or the opposite way round? I've had people tell me both are the right way! Also, how much would you suggest as a backing/savings to move out there? Like a starting figure until a job gets up and running?

My choices so far are Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Eindhoven. Does anyone have any other suggestions about where is good for someone just moving to the country?

If you could answer any of these questions that would be wonderful and so helpful! It's my dream to move back to where my ancestors came from and it's the most beautiful country I've ever visited. If you have any other advice too, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much for your help!

Fern
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:37 pm
Undutchable

Stephka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to the Netherlands

Hi Fern,

How nice you want to move to the Netherlands, im sure you'll have a great time if you keep your positive attitude.

Do you already have an idea about what kind of job you'd like? You could benefit from your university background by making contact with similar dutch institutes. This could help you build a network and to get contacts and job links. Since you have still a year to go now would be a good time to start browsing around, maybe there are opportunities for exchange projects or international internships. Indicate what you're studying and i might pinpoint you in the right direction!

Good luck!
Steph
Old Jul 30th 2015, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

BjornNL is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the best way to learn Dutch? I have started trying to teach myself but it's obviously proving a little bit difficult. Is it worth going on a 4/6 week intensive course in the Netherlands to learn or are there better ways? Unfortunately there are no Dutch tutors near me at all!

Buy a language course (like Rosette stone) just to get yourself going. Find a Dutch friend (check the international groups on Facebook). You can offer an hour of English language practice in exchange for an hour Dutch language practice. Most students in the Netherlands speak good English, but a lot of students want to improve their speaking skills. As soon as you arrive in the Netherlands you can attend a language class (there are a lot of them).

How would I go about moving there? This bit always confuses me, do I find a job and then a place to stay or the opposite way round? I've had people tell me both are the right way! Also, how much would you suggest as a backing/savings to move out there? Like a starting figure until a job gets up and running?

Just start looking for a job as soon as possible. It is not easy for an non-Dutch speaking person to find a job. As soon as you find a job, find a home. Finding a home is not the hardest part, finding a job is!

My choices so far are Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Eindhoven. Does anyone have any other suggestions about where is good for someone just moving to the country?
Most international jobs can be found in Amsterdam or Rotterdam. Finding a house is easier (and cheaper) in Eindhoven. Housing is cheaper in Rotterdam, than in Amsterdam.

If you could answer any of these questions that would be wonderful and so helpful! It's my dream to move back to where my ancestors came from and it's the most beautiful country I've ever visited. If you have any other advice too, that would be greatly appreciated!

Great that you are following your roots! Its a great country to live in.

All the best!

Bjorn - Expat City
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Fern385 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stephka
Hi Fern,

How nice you want to move to the Netherlands, im sure you'll have a great time if you keep your positive attitude.

Do you already have an idea about what kind of job you'd like? You could benefit from your university background by making contact with similar dutch institutes. This could help you build a network and to get contacts and job links. Since you have still a year to go now would be a good time to start browsing around, maybe there are opportunities for exchange projects or international internships. Indicate what you're studying and i might pinpoint you in the right direction!

Good luck!
Steph
Hi Steph, thanks for your reply! My degree is in music but I'm willing to work anywhere, I know it isn't the easiest degree to get a job in!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Duolingo has a Dutch course on-line.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 8:52 pm
Undutchable

Stephka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Fern,

Wow, music! Thats a great study, and indeed quite a challenge to find a job in. You could contact a dutch music school, called a conservatorium, where students are trained to be professional musicians. There are conservatoria in Amsterdam, the Hague, Utrecht, Tilburg and Maastricht. Maybe they can help you get started? I know the conservatorium of Amsterdam has exchange projects. You could check www.ahk.nl/en/conservatorium
Old Aug 9th 2015, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I can thing of three ways to do it.

1) Find a job. It's not easy if you only speak English: most Dutch your age speak Dutch, English and usually a third language quite fluently.
2) Consider coming to do a Post-Graduate degree.
3) Consider 'testing the water' here, with an au-pair year. As a visa condition, the host family has to pay for your language course.